what's the true definition of rotoscoping?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_igorschmigor_*

Guest_igorschmigor_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2003 - 11:20 AM

Actually i thought i knew what it was, but met two guys who say that it's just a synonyme for tracing. Be it in animation or still images. They say creating vector stills by tracing a photo for example would be rotoscoping too. I'm quite sure that the real meaning is more like working on animation footage frame by frame, either for tracing, masking or compositing. But i'm confused, now that i met two guys who says it's not, and they're so sure of themselves. So i thought i'll ask the real pros who must know.
Is the term rotoscoping only used for animation or not?

#2 Guest_211_*

Guest_211_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2003 - 11:35 AM

For me it's only mask job, so, usually frame by frame..

#3 Guest_André Leroux_*

Guest_André Leroux_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2003 - 12:40 PM

Rotoscoping

For either broadcast video or Internet streaming video, rotoscoping is the rotated projection of a sequence of usually photographed action image frames so that the artist can trace from the frame or create an image to superimpose on it. It can be thought of as "painting on movies" efficiently. Prior to computers, an animation stand called a Rotoscope was used to project a sequence of action frames against a surface so that a set of animation frames could be traced or created. The same work can now be done with digital images and special computer software. Tools that provide efficient ways to rotoscope include Digital Magic and Elastic Reality. Rotoscoping is frequently used as a technique for combining (compositing) cartoon figures with realistic settings in television commercials and is also used for special effects in feature-length films.

A rotoscoping texture (sometimes called a sequence map) is the use of video within an animation, something like an animation within an animation. For example, in a cartoon animation, the television set could show a program containing another animation. Or in a background to an animation in the foreground, you could include some clouds that slowly changed during the foreground animation. The frame rate for both the main animation and the "animation within the animation" must be the same

My two cents

André

#4 Guest_igorschmigor_*

Guest_igorschmigor_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2003 - 01:14 PM

211, you say usually. That confuses me even more, does that mean that sometimes it can also be not frame by frame?
thanks andré, i already found that definition on the internet at whatis. The strange thing is, while i feel that this quote goes well with my definition, he thinks that it proves him right. I don't understand it.

#5 Guest_211_*

Guest_211_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2003 - 02:16 PM

Thanks andre for your reply...

Igor, I can't tell you more.. but if Roto is a mask job, luminance of your movie can be used ( Especially for hair where you can't use only vector ) ..

Mokey can also help you for automatic roto..

#6 Guest_firemind_*

Guest_firemind_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2003 - 06:15 PM

Isn't the definition of rotoscoping 'It's tedious and sucks to do' ? :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users