16 replies to this topic

#1 jaypeeare

jaypeeare

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:31 AM

http://trailers.appl...ount/worldwarz/

Finally this movie releases a trailer! Anyone excited for this movie? I'm just about to finish the book & have been enjoying it a lot. Was so excited for this when it was announced to be a movie & the fact that Marc Forster was in line to direct it. Kind of looks like your run of the mill zombie movie so far with some crazy olympic sprinting flesh eaters but I have high hopes to be well adapted to the book. Even if it's shit or not I'm going to enjoy it either way, anything related to zombies I enjoy the crap out of.

#2 AromaKat

AromaKat

Mrowwr!

• Members
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

I am personally soooooooooooo sick of zombies.

"Early to bed, early to rise, work like hell, and advertise."
- Ted Turner

#3 parallax

parallax

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

Looks pretty goddamn awesome to me.
Robot dinosaurs might be useful. You have my authorization.

#4 jan

jan

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

yeah the walking dead got covered all my zombie needs for some time.

#5 C.Smith

C.Smith

Sermonizes Mograph to the Masses

• Members
  • 2,929 posts
  • Interests:Keepin it real.

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

Well, I guess we know from the trailer he made it into the helicopter.

I stopped watching Walking Dead after season one because one nagging thing could never escape me: Why don't they all hole-up in a WalMart. They sit in shitty RV's in the woods bitching about provisions. Where they have what seems like a million WalMarts ideally suited for protection and resources. Especially a WalMart with built in Gas stations. When you use up one Wal Mart you use up another. It would take many, many lifetimes to even go through one states worth of Wal Marts. I know that doesn't make good writing. However a fundamental part of storytelling is that whithin whatever fantasy your story inhabits, it at least has to look like the characters are taking their most logical journey to get back to what they want. Every show, I just yelled at the TV box, to almost everyone of their problems, "Well you you just stayed at a fucking walmart, that would solve your situation then". When you think all the characters are too moronic for their own survival you tend not to give a shit about them. Maybe it's just me.

Maybe season 2 someone said, "Hey I gots me an idea! How about we stay at massive places with fuck loads of resources and shelter and gun supplies and gas!!".
chris smith :: some of my work

#6 jaypeeare

jaypeeare

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

Well, I guess we know from the trailer he made it into the helicopter.

I stopped watching Walking Dead after season one because one nagging thing could never escape me: Why don't they all hole-up in a WalMart. They sit in shitty RV's in the woods bitching about provisions. Where they have what seems like a million WalMarts ideally suited for protection and resources. Especially a WalMart with built in Gas stations. When you use up one Wal Mart you use up another. It would take many, many lifetimes to even go through one states worth of Wal Marts. I know that doesn't make good writing. However a fundamental part of storytelling is that whithin whatever fantasy your story inhabits, it at least has to look like the characters are taking their most logical journey to get back to what they want. Every show, I just yelled at the TV box, to almost everyone of their problems, "Well you you just stayed at a fucking walmart, that would solve your situation then". When you think all the characters are too moronic for their own survival you tend not to give a shit about them. Maybe it's just me.

Maybe season 2 someone said, "Hey I gots me an idea! How about we stay at massive places with fuck loads of resources and shelter and gun supplies and gas!!".

This is ideal in most people's mind but maybe it was already invaded by panic when all hell went loose, or could have been overran with walkers or even just think about how much danger you're putting yourself in with other hostel groups trying to go to the Wal Mart with the same idea.

#7 jaypeeare

jaypeeare

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

yeah the walking dead got covered all my zombie needs for some time.

BUT WE HAVE NEVER SEEN MOUNTAIN CLIMBING ZOMBIES!!

#8 C.Smith

C.Smith

• Members
  • 2,929 posts
  • Interests:Keepin it real.

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

This is ideal in most people's mind but maybe it was already invaded by panic when all hell went loose, or could have been overran with walkers or even just think about how much danger you're putting yourself in with other hostel groups trying to go to the Wal Mart with the same idea.

I hear you, but for a story to be true you have to build the world where the walls of possibilities and impossibilities are clear. They don't have to show them going to a WalMart and saying, "Oh, that isn't going to work because of X". It could be a limitless way of making the barriers to progress clear. But they don't. They act like that hanging out in the woods was the obvious thing to do when it's clearly not. I hear you how you can create a bunch of possible scenarios to justify my complaints, but it shouldn't be left to the viewer to say, "well that story is a bunch of bullshit, BUT if an alien was taking over their body and MADE them say that line of dialog, then THAT would make sense". Then it's a house of cards and certainly not entertaining to me, when I'm left feeling smarter than all of them. You want to watch an indiana jones or sherlock homes or someone who is trying to outthink and physically out achieve the foes on a roller coaster to the final outcome. Not scream at the TV, "Then get out of the fucking woods, dummies!".

I....M....O
chris smith :: some of my work

#9 AromaKat

AromaKat

Mrowwr!

• Members
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

I got pretty excited in the beginning of the trailer. Not having a clue it was a zombie movie, I thought it was just about a normal family going about their normal shizz, then all of a sudden their city is being attacked. Kinda like War of the Worlds, but without ailens. I saw what appeared to be zombies, but thought "nah... everything was normal up until bombs and whatnot. Zombies don't make sense here." But then, sure enough.... fucking zombies. Maybe its a failure of the trailer edit, but there better be a damn good explanation of how shit went from normal to ZOMBIES! in 2 seconds without warning.

Why in the world has there not been a movie about average US citizens dealing with a full-scale, world-war level invasion? Is the idea of the US being invaded really so unfathomable that its somehow a better tactic to re-hash the same idea 50 times per year? Jericho was the bomb (no pun intended), and had a huge fan base. Why not fork off that?

A writer utilizing zombies in today's world is like a chef making a bacon-based dish. Its just plain lazy.

Edited by AromaKat, 10 November 2012 - 02:47 AM.

"Early to bed, early to rise, work like hell, and advertise."
- Ted Turner

#10 ianfreeze

ianfreeze

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 364 posts
  • Interests:cheating death

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:27 AM

World War Z is a book, and from what Ive heard the movie takes a pretty sharp departure from its source material. I haven't read it, thats just the word on the proverbial street. Also I'm with you. I think I'm over zombies. Though I must admit giving them a hive mind and behaving like an ant swarm is kinda cool.

#11 dan_hin

dan_hin

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 707 posts
  • Interests:Skateboarding, sci-fi, mograph

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

The book is amazing. You should definitely pick up a copy if you get the chance.

#12 Sao_Bento

Sao_Bento

• Admin
  • 5,083 posts
  • Interests:At this point, pretty much nothing.

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

There is ample opportunity for this movie to suck, but I like that it breaks the rules of the zombie genre by removing the slow/dumb limitation and introducing the macro-organism style behavior. Kind of like combining Starship Troopers with zombies instead of bugs. I guess they both have their roots in insect behavior. The whole "swarm"thing provokes a really powerful instinctive reaction, which is a great device for the genre.

As the warrior-poet Ice Cube once said "If the day does not require an AK, it is good"

#13 jaypeeare

jaypeeare

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

There is ample opportunity for this movie to suck, but I like that it breaks the rules of the zombie genre by removing the slow/dumb limitation and introducing the macro-organism style behavior. Kind of like combining Starship Troopers with zombies instead of bugs. I guess they both have their roots in insect behavior. The whole "swarm"thing provokes a really powerful instinctive reaction, which is a great device for the genre.

Couldn't have said that better myself!

#14 vozzz

vozzz

Eats, sleeps, drinks MoGraph

• Members
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:In Budapest Hungary

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

@C.smith: im sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but i think you are too smart for tv :(

Ace5 studios
http://ace5studios.com <-portfolio

http://ace5education.com <-tutorials/blog/facebook page

http://plus.google.c...lekseyVoz/posts <- google+ page

#15 Todd Kopriva

Todd Kopriva

Adobe Mastermind

• Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:22 AM

I loved the book and audiobook, but I'm concerned that the movie is missing what made the book good: a broad documentary-style approach, with pieces of the overall story told with scraps of information from many sources. The trailer makes the movie look much more simple and... well... like any action movie with a single "hero".
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#16 thekinginyellow

thekinginyellow

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

the book feels more like a traditional documentary that should be sit down talking head interviews, lower 3rds, graphics treatments and edited b-roll footage from newsreels mentioned in the book. i guess the studios didn't think that would make good summer blockbuster material so they took the titls and an event mentioned in the book and threw the rest out the window. plus the book has a blind japanese gardener who survives by taking out dozens of zombies single handed; this movie won't have that. it will be the story of the battle of yonkers and should be a loose premise but filled with suspense and action. the could have pretty much called this movie anything they wanted but they chose world war z because it sounds good.

#17 Kmksunfire

Kmksunfire

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Art and Adrenaline

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Why in the world has there not been a movie about average US citizens dealing with a full-scale, world-war level invasion? Is the idea of the US being invaded really so unfathomable that its somehow a better tactic to re-hash the same idea 50 times per year? Jericho was the bomb (no pun intended), and had a huge fan base. Why not fork off that?

they just re-made red dawn, and there is the the australian version "tomorrow, when the war began".

-and there's always the next few years... not for the movie, but for the real thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users