7 replies to this topic

#1 joedonaldson

joedonaldson

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

Hello everyone,

I just launched my new site and cut a new reel.

Always looking for feedback and would love to hear your thoughts.

www.joedonaldson.tv

Thanks.

Edited by joedonaldson, 29 November 2012 - 11:15 PM.

Formerly Novus4D

www.joedonaldson.tv

#2 joedonaldson

joedonaldson

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

Where you at Binky?

You know I look forward to my yearly reel update and critique from you.
Formerly Novus4D

www.joedonaldson.tv

#3 joedonaldson

joedonaldson

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

Where you at Binky?

You know I look forward to my yearly reel update and critique from you.
Formerly Novus4D

www.joedonaldson.tv

#4 joedonaldson

joedonaldson

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

I guess I'll try and bump this one last time. Always looking to hear feedback on what I can improve upon.

For some background info, I'm currently finishing my last semester of college. I've been freelancing a bit here in Chicago and for the past 8 months been working as an animator at DK.
Formerly Novus4D

www.joedonaldson.tv

#5 Binky

Binky

Wise Sage of mograph

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:50 AM

(I typed www.joedonaldson.tv into the address/search bar, and safari couldn't figure it out, went to ask google, and google listed your site along with the suggestion that maybe I meant www.joedonaldson.net. Something's not right there.)

So at this stage of the game, you're building a montage with sort of scarce resources. You've got some work under your belt, but it's not so much that you have a ton of shit to choose from. That's, of course, totally natural. But you have to strategize your edit a bit to hide that fact. So don't let your edit repeat itself. Don't let any part of it feel weak. If you have to shorten it, then do. If you have to make more stuff, then do. If you have to take a shot out of a project and work with it to bring it up to snuff, then do. But really resist the urge to allow some filler in there. We've all got filler, but the less we have, the better. As much as possible, you want every single cut to present something with intention and surprise and WOW.

With that in mind, you may want to think about hitting the 45 second mark instead of stretching to 1minute. Make an inspiring 45s, that says "Here I am, blowing your fuckin mind nonstop", as opposed to "Here's the stuff I've made so far... oh and coming up are these two parts where it gets pretty good."

And with regard to making sure all of those shots are prime, don't ever expect to be able to make excuses for the state of any of your cuts. You'll never be given audience with the people looking at your reel 999/1000 times. You don't want anyone to see the interlacing in your Sailor Jerry stuff. You'll never be able to talk your way out of the bad lighting of the headshots following that. 

So, that's some stuff to think about. And those things aside, it looks like you're starting to do some work that you're proud of, and that looks professional. That's a lot more than most students can say for themselves. I'd say you're doing pretty well. You're finding your voice, and not treading the well-worn path. Your experiments will keep paying off as you learn more from them. It's all coming together.

#6 joedonaldson

joedonaldson

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

Hey Binky,

Thank you for taking the time to write that. It is much appreciated and your feedback is always genuine and on point. 

Could you please elaborate on your first statement about the site not being found/loading correctly? My URL was joedonaldson.net but overhere things seem to be working fine on all browsers with joedonaldson.tv since the update. 

I do agree that there is a bit more repetition than I would like in the reel. I am not currently looking for work and I understand this is not a standard practice but I generally make much of the decisions on a reel based on the edit and have certain projects pegged as placeholders that I later swap out. Since I am not currently seeking work I find that this help me stay motivated to keep things updated and also gives me a template to build on and easy update to keep things current.

I personally am not as interested in the shinier more pristine work in the industry and tend to gravitate towards more of the low-fi handmade projects. In the case of the Sailor Jerry project the interlacing was a conscious decision for the piece but I definitely see how in a reel format that can be a slippery slope and is hard to distinguish as a decision or an oversight. 

Thanks again for the insight. It is very appreciated will definitely help when I update in the coming weeks. 

Edited by joedonaldson, 10 December 2012 - 06:51 PM.

Formerly Novus4D

www.joedonaldson.tv

#7 Binky

Binky

Wise Sage of mograph

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

Could you please elaborate on your first statement about the site not being found/loading correctly?

Don't worry about it. Safari just has that combined address/search bar, and when i pasted your address in, it resolved to a google search, which yielded your site at the top of the list. I just figured your URL hadn't fully propagated or whatever.

I personally am not as interested in the shinier more pristine work in the industry and tend to gravitate towards more of the low-fi handmade projects. In the case of the Sailor Jerry project the interlacing was a conscious decision for the piece but I definitely see how in a reel format that can be a slippery slope and is hard to distinguish as a decision or an oversight.

Exactly, that it's hard to determine whether there's intent or not is really key. The global issue is that, with everything you do, there is the issue of establishing trust between you and your audience. They have to be able to trust what you're communicating to them, or they won't listen. Authenticity and authority are probably the most common ways to generate trust, but they both involve appearing as though you know exactly what you're doing or talking about. Once you're "speaking" visually with authority or authenticity, then people will trust that pretty much everything you're doing is with authorial intent. So there's a certain irony in that when you want to do something lo-fi, or shitty, or amateurish, you have somehow do it with some kind of perceptibly excellent quality so that people will trust that you're not just taking the piss on them. As I understand it, Picasso kind of had this problem getting people to see that his abstracted cubist work was actually interesting, and not just shitty untutored crap. His problem was kind of harder than yours, but he was an accomplished classical painter so people came around to see what he was doing.

In your case, you're making lo-fi references, but you're not giving your audience anything to suggest that you're not actually an amateur who doesn't know better. It's like when you're watching local news, and you see a commercial for a local mattress store. There's a bright red background and strobing yellow text saying "FIRE SALE!!!", and two middle aged guys in bad suits are throwing confetti and shouting shit like "High quality mattresses at low costssssssss!" and you're thinking "You're tacky, batshit crazy, and those mattresses are probably filled with asbestos." And yet, then you go over to Adult Swim and watch an episode of Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! and suddenly those same antics are funny, because you get that they're winking at you while they pull it off. They do it from a place of knowing, as opposed to naivete. And communicating that is sometimes a fine line to walk, but that's how satire works. Too much or too little of this or that and it falls apart pretty quick.

Basically, you have to do "bad" better. Do it with intent and for justifiable reasons. If "bad" is actually helping to form the story, then go for it. 

#8 joedonaldson

joedonaldson

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:29 AM

Very well put and I definitely agree how that line can be blurred in the format of a reel especially in my case. I'll have to make "bad" better. :)

Formerly Novus4D

www.joedonaldson.tv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users