Photo

Particular or...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dansayshi

Dansayshi

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Playing with things, making things, Kicking things, plucking things, doing things

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:57 AM

Hey guys!

I'm working on some quick interstitials for a client and they sent me over the following as an indicator of what they want to see in terms of a wipe element: 

http://www.istockpho....php?st=25b2d2b

I took a look and figured I'd whip something similar up in particular but I'm having a bitch of a time trying to get the nice flow they have in the link. Any suggestions? 

Right now I'm using a light as an emitter and the aux system for the particles with a turbulence field effecting the position to get the spread and some movement but it's almost too much and too crazy. If someone has any ideas, I'm all ears!! Thanks, awesome people! 

--
Dan
www.dmelius.com

#2 destro

destro

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:16 AM

Looks like a job for Trapcode Form.

#3 highfive

highfive

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:Mograph, film, pugs, ray lewis

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:42 AM

i recommend the $169 1080p stock video.

jklolz. you could use form or particular. you could also use 3D stroke, or just the regular stroke effect with some turbulent displace. depends on how much control you want!

#4 cikeller

cikeller

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

That has to be Form bro bro. I just don't see particular allowing those waves like that. 

This video may help on what settings to adjust.

http://after-effects...rm-plug-383221/

#5 Dansayshi

Dansayshi

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Playing with things, making things, Kicking things, plucking things, doing things

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for the thoughts, guys! I'll give form a whirl and see how it pans out; thanks for the link!

--
Dan
www.dmelius.com

#6 Dansayshi

Dansayshi

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

Hey all!

So one more quick question for you guys: can you attach form to a light/null like you can with particular using the light/motion path as an emitter?

Client now wants these wonderful form lines to write on some words :) 

Thanks again! Form's working great! Now to get it to write on some words! 

--
Dan
www.dmelius.com

#7 J Montreuil

J Montreuil

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

Cinema 4D cloth objects with Wind blowing from the right and Luminance colors with a Fresnel Shader in the Alpha Channel.

#8 Dansayshi

Dansayshi

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

Thanks for the idea, man; I actually moved over to C4D to try and get things working there right before I read your comment. Only problem I'm having with that is that the cloth is slightly unpredictable. It's probably me just not knowing the settings too well but it just seems like things fly around a little too much. Any thoughts? 

--
Dan
www.dmelius.com

#9 Cosmo Ray

Cosmo Ray

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

So one more quick question for you guys: can you attach form to a light/null like you can with particular using the light/motion path as an emitter?

In a word, no. Form doesn't really emit additional particles unless you keyframe the particles in XYZ parameters, but even then they will appear randomly. If you want to make letter shapes with it, you can try using the layer maps with already animated precomps. Or you could pull your hair out trying to animate with a combination of the x/y size and twist parameters.

Here's a file using the Form technique I was talking about (AE CS5.5) 

https://www.dropbox....orm_letters.aep

And a stab at it in Particular

https://www.dropbox....lar_letters.aep

Obviously these are both pretty ghetto but if you're going for a stock effect look it might work out. Either way, you'll have the most control over an effect like this in C4D using the things J Montreuil talked about. EDIT: I don't think you necessarily need to use cloth though, you could probably have some decent luck with a noise on a displace deformer or random/shader effector set to deform point.

Edited by Cosmo Ray, 14 December 2012 - 08:26 PM.

#10 C.Smith

C.Smith

Sermonizes Mograph to the Masses

• Members
  • 2,929 posts
  • Interests:Keepin it real.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

Thanks for the idea, man; I actually moved over to C4D to try and get things working there right before I read your comment. Only problem I'm having with that is that the cloth is slightly unpredictable. It's probably me just not knowing the settings too well but it just seems like things fly around a little too much. Any thoughts? 

I made a Form ripoff for C4D called Flux you can try:

Peep here

chris smith :: some of my work

#11 mshadis

mshadis

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:47 AM

You might not be so off with trying to use Particular.  Harry Frank has a nice tutorial that more or less gives you the organic flowing look of form with the precision and control of particular.  It might help you:

http://www.graymachi...10-let-it-flow/

#12 Dansayshi

Dansayshi

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:30 AM

Matt, I think that's going to be super useful! Thanks for the hook up with that link. I'll give it a go tomorrow! 

And thanks Chris! I've used Bloom loads of times, not to mention the rest of your awesome tools but I never got around to messing with Flux. I'll have to give it spin for sure.

Thanks for all the help!

--
Dan
www.dmelius.com

#13 theta

theta

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:v1 getting approved!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

Pretty sure there is a preset in Particular that looks just like that.

#14 JonnyB

JonnyB

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

I don't think there is a Form preset that's got the exact look that you're after, but there's a lot of similar ones that you can tweak to get the effect. I've compiled a list of thumbnails that shows what each one looks like here http://motional.net/...ts#.UOQYm3flmeY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users