Motion Graphics & 3D Showreel

reel motion graphics showreel 2013 2012 3D c4d AE after effects

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rato

rato

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Motion Graphics Designer Aspirant. Learn to love about cool stuff !

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

Hi everyone! 

I decided to re-edit my showreel, while i'm waiting to clear most of the projects that I was working on during last year (2012) as it still going to take a while to have permission to show the projects that I was worked on last year.

And it's that time of the year where nothing much is going on and i'm at home watching tutorials and playing around with software. 

So this is what I got so far, and would be amazing to hear all your bad and good comments about it. 

I'm always learning, so every comment good or bad that helps me to improve is more than welcome! 

Thanks a lot for watching!

#2 Binky

Binky

Wise Sage of mograph

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

I think your stuff looks really nice on the surface. Lots of attention to detail and compositional consideration. On the spectrum of style and substance, you're a little heavy on the style side in the execution of projects, but that's a perception likely amplified by the general emphasis on visual experiments and personal projects in this montage. I'd imagine that once you have free reign to show paid projects, that'll probably shift a bit.

Two things to consider might be:

1) Use the camera more. It can be a really useful element in most shots, in terms of communicating to the viewer. I say that not because you don't know it, but because most of what you're showing follows from a line of thinking akin to "here are the elements of my composition, and here's how they're gonna behave and move through the frame." So you're basically deciding to lock off your shots and rely on elements to do interesting things in a fixed frame. And that's fine, as a choice, but it occurs to me that you're making that choice a lot, and not necessarily to your benefit. And I'm not suggesting that you start flying the camera all over the place on every shot, but there's a lot you can do with it, if only to activate the frame and give the viewer just a subtle sense of place, or focus, or activity. 

The camera, albeit itself unseen, is a major actor in your shot. Feel free to use it as such.

2) In the montage itself, consider how your editing interacts with the audio. Don't be precious with the length of your existing clips. Break up the pacing and allow your cuts to play with and accentuate the audio. It will energize the entire piece.

#3 rato

rato

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

Thanks for the feedback Binky, really helpful !! 

I got some really dynamic projects that I worked on last year along some really smart people that allow me to learn a lot and also gave me the chance to work on some nice pieces that I can't wait to put on my reel. 

And yeah I get what you mean about the camera, I need to start putting some more dynamic to my personal shots that I do as experiments. Nice one! 

I also agree with you, I gotta play a bit more with the audio - going to spend some more time on the editing as well. 

Really good feedback, thanks for the time! Much appreciated. 

#4 eliss

eliss

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Design / Music

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:19 AM

S#i† Binky. Comment = $100. Spot on.

Site and reel : Eric Liss.com

#5 rato

rato

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

Hey guys! I re-edit my reel thanks to your good feedback!!

Let me know what you think, it's the same video on vimeo I replaced the old one with this. So it's on top of the page still.

Feedback is welcome! :)

Cheers!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: reel, motion, graphics, showreel, 2013, 2012, 3D, c4d, AE, after effects

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users