8 replies to this topic

#1 hamax1

hamax1

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:xbox, comics, board games, beer, lacrosse

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

WOO! feels good to get this finally out there.

#2 daveglanz

daveglanz

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 761 posts
  • Interests:wife, daughter, movies, floppy-eared dogs, coffee

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

Short and sweet with a great intro. Love it Max!

#3 hamax1

hamax1

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

Thanks Dave!

I've had some time to reflect on this reel since I put it out there.  I've been considering splitting off UI-centric work and fun animation/mograph projects into separate reels.

A friend mentioned 2 reels tonight, and I'm just not sure if its done very often in this community, and if so, how do you balance that work?  While the UI previsualization pays well, but the punchy mograph spots get you street cred?  What to do, what to do.

I'd love to hear other thoughts on the multi-reel.

#4 sbmotiondesign

sbmotiondesign

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

Hey Max, If you were down here in the SF Bay Area that reel would straight get you paid. There is such a huge market for doing UI animation, even if it's just to use as a reference to be recreated in code, but almost no one seems to put that type of work in their reels. I think that's a mistake. If you enjoy doing that type of work, I would keep it in there. I think that a lot of the time when we put together our reels we forget who our real audience is, people who want to hire us for money, not other motion designers. That being said, if you don't like doing that type of work, I would take it out and create a separate UI specialty reel that you could share with clients on an as needed basis.

#5 joedonaldson

joedonaldson

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:26 AM

Nice work Max. I really enjoyed the reel. Short sweet and lots of nice 2D work. 

In regards to the multiple reels comment. A good rule of thumb is to make your reel speak to the kind of work you want to produce not just the work you have done. For me, I have a long background of filming and editorial based work. It's super easy for me to throw some of that stuff into the reel to make what I think makes a editorial better piece but it dilutes the message of the kind of work I want to produce.

If this is the voice you want to continue to develop I think you are good to go. The reel shows a good eye and definitely left me wanting more. 

Formerly Novus4D

www.joedonaldson.tv

#6 hamax1

hamax1

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

Thanks guys!

make your reel speak to the kind of work you want to produce

I think that is the sentiment behind the "REALLY LOUD" sequence, I just wanted to make something that breaks away from the UI flows.

Here are some thoughts on the alternative "reel"-ing that I was thinking:

One is this great MTV branding breakdown: 
this detailed approach and explanation could be applied to some the UI work I've done in the past, and it would certainly be my preferred way of continuing with UI work: This sport of all-up, full motion package.  With Xbox, I would be speaking for way too many other people, but I may be able to find a particular area where further explanation is welcomed.

And then we have this breakdown of UI and animation: http://www.ui-transitions.com/#home
his success comes from further levels of interactivity, allowing the viewer to experience some of those moments themselves (not totally possible in an everyday show-reel).  Adobe Edge Animate has opened up some possibilities here, but it's still a rough beta that doesn't allow for .PSD or .AI import yet.

I think that's the split I'm faced with.  I should hope viewers of the reel note the similarities in the different styles of work, UI and motion graphics, the job titles are same, the software is the same, the keyframes, expressions, everything.  But I think I've got to step it up further to portray those similarities better.

thanks for thinking out loud with me haha

-Max

#7 bpistone

bpistone

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Teaching and learning.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

I think your head is in the right place.  The reel is excellent as is, there is a balance of work and art.  Commercial appeal vs street cred are sometimes opposing forces; the best stuff holds up on both sides.

The MTV ident explanation reminds me of the Chase Jarvis interview with Ramit Sethi where Ramit said something like, "expecting the other person to recognize your brilliance is wrong; you need to teach them to revere what you have done."

The UI transitions website is awesome.  I think anyone can find inspiration in the demonstration and explanation in that site.

Brian Pistone

https://motiongraphicsmarket.com

Community, tutorials, portfolios, templates.

#8 hiytrebla

hiytrebla

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

Great stuff man. I think the intro to the Xbox UI could be a little shorter. Just my opinion though.

Out of curiousity, how did you animate the hand? Did you do it in 3d? or was it a keyframed ai file?

#9 hamax1

hamax1

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Thanks for the input on the Xbox stuff.  I think I'm going to add a little flavor and some camera movement in the future, just to bring it to life more, even if that isn't exactly what it is in reality.

I may have extended that intro to show the Avatar guy as an homage to that team at Xbox, I worked with them for some of my time at microsoft and I love the little bits of character they brought.  I may try to get my hands on some of the wackier stuff we did with the Avatar rig instead.

The interacting hand was done with a sort-of rotoscope style.  Shooting video of my hand, then using masks to cover the hand frame by frame (almost every frame).  The coloring and screen effects give it a kind of "toon-shader" look.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users