Photo

Showreels.net - A platform for showing your reels!

showreels community social

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 showreels.net

showreels.net

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Our roots lie in a post production company and we recently started with an idea to build a platform where people could upload their reels to show off and to get in contact with people looking to hire people in the post production scene.

Because we are still in development stage we are allowing people to upload their CV and reels at no cost. This is subject to change in the future.

Thank you for reading this and we hope to see you on showreels.net!

Ps. You can use your vimeo links on our site.

#2 vozzz

vozzz

Eats, sleeps, drinks MoGraph

• Members
  • 1,696 posts
  • Interests:In Budapest Hungary

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

so what are the benefits of using this over say, vimeo or behance?

-Aleksey

------------------

Ace5 studios
http://ace5studios.com <-portfolio

http://ace5education.com <-tutorials/blog/facebook page

http://plus.google.c...lekseyVoz/posts <- google+ page

#3 daveglanz

daveglanz

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 761 posts
  • Interests:wife, daughter, movies, floppy-eared dogs, coffee

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Hmmm....no thanks!

#4 showreels.net

showreels.net

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

We're trying to build a platform where we can focus more on the professional side of things.

With something like this, we are focusing on the business end of it all. As I said, our roots are in post-production and we understand how some freelancers are having difficulties finding work. We aim to improve this. Not by replacing Vimeo or Behance but working beside those platforms to give even more public access to your work.

We're still working on the website and we are open for suggestions to improve. If you do not want to sign up, I'd love to hear the reason for that. Maybe it's something we can work on.

Edited by showreels.net, 03 January 2013 - 03:30 PM.

#5 Cosmo Ray

Cosmo Ray

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

If you do not want to sign up, I'd love to hear the reason for that. Maybe it's something we can work on.

Instead of why not, maybe you can tell us why we should sign up in the first place? I understand what you guys are trying to do but not why it's beneficial over any number of video sites or the semi-defunct reelroulette.net.

Because we are still in development stage we are allowing people to upload their CV and reels at no cost. This is subject to change in the future.

If there's one thing that gets me excited about networking, it's the potentiality of a monthly fee I have to pay.

#6 highfive

highfive

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:Mograph, film, pugs, ray lewis

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Behance and reelroulette already offer what you're selling, and then some. One thing I haven't seen done effectively however is a mograph discussion/critique website...somewhere people could post their work and users could comment on it. You could also do a 1/10 rating system so videos that are trending are featured on the front page. Mograph.net has a subforum for this, but it's not nearly as popular or visually appealing as it could be. Just an idea...

#7 Mylenium

Mylenium

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 1,437 posts
  • Interests:cycling, music, Sci-Fi

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

Quicktime embeds? RLY? I think I just had a heart attack...

Mylenium

[Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]
----------------------------------------------
www.myleniumblog.com

#8 eliss

eliss

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Design / Music

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Look at all these negative mographers. It could be a nice project if done correctly. I think this announcement is premature.

Site and reel : Eric Liss.com

#9 stoiqa

stoiqa

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:02 AM

Quicktime embeds? RLY? I think I just had a heart attack...

Mylenium

Quicktime embeds, with the option to upgrade to flash  :blink:

...that got a smile from me

#10 Aaron Scott

Aaron Scott

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:34 AM

We're still working on the website and we are open for suggestions to improve. If you do not want to sign up, I'd love to hear the reason for that. Maybe it's something we can work on.

This has already been mentioned, but embedding Quicktimes on a page is... not cool. And kind of makes me doubts your competency. You really need to look into encoding videos for the web--it's not as simple as it might first appear. There are standards you should be following.

#11 Binky

Binky

Wise Sage of mograph

• Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:03 AM

For some perspective:

I think that, for a group of people whose business it is to present things beautifully and clearly, it's pretty important for them to make a beautiful and clear presentation of their own work. So if you want to make something that those same people flock to for the presentation of their work, you have to make that a priority. As it is, you've made a design effort on your site, but it's underwhelming and therefore well below the standards most professionals are going to find acceptable for themselves. The site is also an organizational mess. Is that front page a blog? Is it a truncated portfolio? If it's called showreels.net, why aren't the showreels the number 1 all-important part of that page? Know what I mean? It's poorly considered, overall.

Point is: you're not gonna get much action from people like us until your presentation of our stuff is better than ours would be, and ours is likely pretty good. I would absolutely love to have a place dedicated to sharing this type of content, so here's hoping you really go after it with sincerity.

#12 killkillakillyo

killkillakillyo

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:59 AM

Our roots lie in a post production company and we recently started with an idea to build a platform where people could upload their reels to show off and to get in contact with people looking to hire people in the post production scene.

Thank you for reading this and we hope to see you on showreels.net!

Ps. You can use your vimeo links on our site.

Your roots lie in a post production company? Well ya don't say. As opposed to dairy farming? 

I'm in. Where do I send my money?

we understand how some freelancers are having difficulties finding work. 

Freelancers can't find work because their body of work isn't up to par, or they're putting to high a value on their skillset. Not because they're living without another website offering a fee based approach to finding work.

#13 showreels.net

showreels.net

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for all the criticism. Both constructive and not. I can agree on a lot of the points here and maybe as someone said, this message has been posted prematurely. Anyways, I'd like to thank you all, and we will work on some of the improvements mentioned.

#14 florio

florio

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:blowing shit up ... in 3d

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Also why are you guys showing reels from 4-5 years ago on this site ... if generating enough current content is a issue, that might be a foreshadowing of things to come

Just sayin

~Florio

#15 SFBurning

SFBurning

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Punk rock, bezier curves

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

I agree with all of the above that this is filling a non-existent hole in the market but guys...

1c7cf84e_OfficeSpacePrinter.gif

I think he's had enough.

#16 destro

destro

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 931 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:51 AM

I agree with all of the above that this is filling a non-existent hole in the market but guys...

1c7cf84e_OfficeSpacePrinter.gif

I think he's had enough.

ha ha...true, but it's better to get the harsh realities of the industry explained by Mograph.net than to go too far down a path that needs better planning.

Kind of like getting a dose of cowpox so you don't catch smallpox.

#17 anothername

anothername

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

I can see a use for this site from an employers perspective if it had good tagging and filtering. I've hired freelancers off of reel roulette because it's searchable by city and most of the people on there are looking for freelance work. Behance and vimeo are great but there is a lot of searching and linking off to people's site to see contact info, if they are freelancers available for work or permanent employees somewhere.

As the site is now I wouldn't use it, but I would use a site that let me filter reels and look at them based on location, skills, software, experience, remote, onsite,  availability etc.  The more info and the more searchable/filtering the better.

#18 brake

brake

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

I'd assume someone focused on web/interactive/app development with input from the production industry is gonna be better off at this endeavor than a production focused team looking for web/interactive/app help to accomplish it.  Like these folks http://talentpool.carbonmade.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: showreels, community, social

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users