Photo

Do you work part time other than graphic field else where?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lanhan

lanhan

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:27 AM

I had my career finally started a couple year ago and then all the closing or downsizing, I went freelancing.  I don't ask a lot and am versatile but until now, I still often get put on hold and then released and never even get to work part time anywhere.  Graphic designer now require expereience in HTML, CSS or UI/UX....etc., assistant or interns require certain skills or have to be a recent graduate or enrolled student so no where left for me that's stable to go really, and my saving is using up.  

I did have a part time job sometime between my career but because of that I let some projects slipped away.  Now, I am getting back myself to the part time job pool and wonder if that happen to you.  And funny thing is that I have to even "cover up" my career path to avoid being considered as a job hopper.... 

So just curious if any of you guys working part time somewhere else for paying rents and dues, and what do you do or did?  

lan

#2 eliss

eliss

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Design / Music

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:53 AM

Honestly, I'm not sure what your question is, but, it sounds like you could use a full-time job and work yourself towards a full time freelance gig once you build the experience. I have a nine-to-five and take on freelance design and music producing on the side. That's my balance ... but, that is me.

Site and reel : Eric Liss.com

#3 lanhan

lanhan

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:10 AM

Thanks for sharing, eliss!  Though having a nine-to-five sounds good to me!  Cheers!

Sorry for my lounge chat question.  I was just curious what others' part time job are, which is out of mograph or any related field.  I have a friend part-time worked in a bar, and I used to part-time worked in a freight company.  

Learning from others experience would be interesting, I thought.  Well, just curious what you do and how you juggle between part-time and freelance jobs, schedule wise...etc..  Again, not really a specific question.... :)

Edited by lanhan, 05 January 2013 - 06:11 AM.

#4 anothername

anothername

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:09 AM

I did a couple of projects on the side while having a fulltime job to test the waters before jumping into Mograph as a career. But it was pretty tough to schedule meetings with clients, meet deadlines, and stay competitive with people doing this day in and day out when you have another regular gig, not to mention the signal it sends to potential employers about your professionalism if you are only part time.

I mean if the real hurdle to fulltime employment/viable freelancing is learning HTML or CSS, then why not just learn those (although I think there are plenty of design jobs out there that just require you to design not code). 

If you need to do something else job wise to eat and pay the rent maybe consider spending your extra time learning the skills you need to up your portfolio and market yourself better so that you can transition back to design fultime. Graphic Design and Mograph is a business just as much as it is an art and from your post it sounds like your current business model/approach isn't working so if you need to absolutely take a part time job to make ends meet make sure you use that time the way a company in bankruptcy protection would to re-organize and find ways to make your business viable.

I don't mean to be harsh I just think switching to only being in the field part time without a solid plan for getting back in the game and making things work in the current economy is not really a great idea.

#5 lanhan

lanhan

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, anothername!  I am definitely catching and will just see how it goes.  But again, I am just curious about what your part time job is, other than graphic, haha.  Just for fun.  Thanks again for sharing! 

#6 dbrodi

dbrodi

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

I am a full time animator and art director. I will work from 9-7 on a normal day and I take on motion graphic freelance jobs on the side. It can sometimes get tiring though working all day on motion graphics then going home and doing it from 9 pm til I get to go to sleep. But the pay is really nice especially since the college loans are not disappearing any time soon. It is definitely important to have a balance of work and living your life though in order to not get burnt out. Or at least just a little personal time where you are not working to keep your sanity.

David Brodeur
Art Director
http://www.behance.net/DavidBrodeur

#7 Basic

Basic

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

I've battled with this for years but the last 3 I have been at University. Anothername is right, I think changing your approach and business model will help. I think its important to clearly define goals and stick to them.

I floated around for few years pursuring a VJ/Mograph career (before I fully understood mograph). I had worked a lot of full time jobs just working in call centres and grafting on a night but its not a good work life balance and I think its very unhealthy. but after about 5 years on and off I went to Uni where I am now (final year). Since being at Uni i've been freelancing and doing well. its only part time and Uni comes first. Its took me a long time to get my shit together and focus. I think its hard when you want something so bad and feel like your not getting anywhere with it.

Just my random sleepy £0.02. I dont know how much is relevant and how much was me thinking out loud :)

#8 vozzz

vozzz

Eats, sleeps, drinks MoGraph

• Members
  • 1,779 posts
  • Interests:In Budapest Hungary

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

Im a full time alcoholic, and sometimes on the side i do animation work :)

-Aleksey

------------------

Ace5 studios
http://ace5studios.com <-portfolio

http://ace5education.com <-tutorials/blog/facebook page

http://plus.google.c...lekseyVoz/posts <- google+ page

#9 Basic

Basic

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Oh yeah that as well before University... ^^^ :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users