10 replies to this topic

#1 oeuf

oeuf

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

Ok, so I have to rant a bit here.

You guys ever feel like you're doing a producers job? Is it just me or are 9 out of 10 producers worthless meatbags?

They spend time surfing the net and checking their facebook and when you ask them to get art work from a client, it's like pulling teeth.

And then when they get the said artwork, they're too fuckin' lazy to put it in the "_From Client > Artwork" directory to keep things nice and neat.

Now don't get me wrong, i've come across some really great producers too. The ones that are active in keeping you abreast of client schedule changes and *gasp!, can compress quicktimes!!!

Seriously, WTF?!

#2 microdot

microdot

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

AMEN BROTHER!

#3 Spunj

Spunj

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

I worked at a job where I would be dealing with actual client more than the producer was.  Turned out to be a good thing...it's good to able to communicate clearly with someone, rather play the telephone game - where the string doesn't even use correct terminology.  Quicktime is not a codec. And no, it doesn't cost more just because it is 3D.

-Spunj

#4 Aaron Scott

Aaron Scott

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

And no, it doesn't cost more just because it is 3D.

Famous last words.

#5 anothername

anothername

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

One of the many frustrations that made me stop freelancing. 

It's funny too that in mograph the title producer, production co-ordinator, and post production supervisor often cover a lot of overlapping tasks/responsibilities and the different title often only reflects the degree to which they are accountable (and of course if all three are on a project they can always point fingers at each other so no one is accountable for anything).

#6 killkillakillyo

killkillakillyo

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:31 AM

A good producer should be the most organized individual in the building, which in most cases should not be terribly difficult to accomplish.

A good producer should know the answer to almost every question the artist has, because they've asked the client almost every question that could possibly arise.

A good producer should know their client well enough that they can make creative calls when a director is busy, and have a relatively good success rate with that.

A good producer should not expect the artist to be his or her own intermediary to the directors and clients.  

A good producer will make sure they are aware of everything related to the project. Nothing should be a surprise.

A good producer will maintain a good relationship with everyone, even when a little ass-kissing is necessary. Client especially included.

A good producer should be the first person in the building, and the last one to go home. If there's a problem, the producer should see it to a solution.

A good producer does not expect you to work late for free. 

A good producer does not expect you to work for free.

Did i miss anything?

#7 Aaron Scott

Aaron Scott

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

This is probably a good time to introduce you to Sequence's producer, Dan. 

http://www.facebook....151293968251591

#8 destro

destro

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

It's a problem. I've worked with a couple of excellent producers, a few more good ones and many more with a non-existent work ethic.

One explanation I've heard: Producers get to see what everyone is getting paid on a project and know they tend to be at the bottom end of the scale. My guess is the good ones work their way up to a better income while the bad ones just hang around and do the minimum they can get away with for crap pay.

#9 oeuf

oeuf

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

One excuse I've heard: Producers get to see what everyone is getting paid on a project and know they tend to be at the bottom end of the scale.

Fixed that for you.

#10 jon

jon

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

From what I hear, Peter Principle is a producer's producer.

#11 Kmksunfire

Kmksunfire

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Art and Adrenaline

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

is it better than no producer?

good producer helps out a great deal.  knows good writing, knows good editing, knows marketing, is a good politician and salesman.  He manages expectations

bad producer is at the very least, a buffer between the artist and client...

-Great when your an artist's artist. (not a politician or salesman)

-not as much when they are screwing up language, giving wrong info, and just passing emails along.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users