• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AromaKat

AromaKat

Mrowwr!

• Members
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:33 AM

I just signed a lease on new commercial space, and will be going through the build-out through Feb starting tomorrow. The space is a bit larger than my current tiny little office, so I want to build it out right and smart from the get-go. 

I'm working with 1,100 square feet including a reception-ish room, kitchen, & a server room (previous tenants converted it from a walk-in kitchen pantry). There are 2 fairly large offices. The larger of which I know will be our main workstation room, which is going to be set up like a 2-op edit bay + tv + client couch / lounge area behind us. For the other room, I think its going to have a couple freelance stations or something in there. I will probably install a long counter in there with 3 workstations, a tv above and a couch behind.

For the reception area, I'm thinking of just throwing a mac mini and a monitor up on a little desk up for clients to sit at and do their thing in private while we continue working. Perhaps a bed for my dog.

The server room thing was an awesome find. The previous tenants apparently installed a ton of ethernet wall jacks throughout the office, stemming from that room and siphoned a ton of AC from the building into that little room. I haven't checked the wiring, but I suspect its cat5e, in which case I will replace it with cat 6 so I can get serious about building a 10GBe network storage solution.

Since I am going to be back there anyway, running cables and whatnot behind the walls, I started thinking of running super long cables of all sorts and housing our workstations in the server. DVI, XLR, SDI, HDMI, USB 3, maybe some stereo audio cable. Firewire and eSata are only used for drives so I can just go connect those in the machine room. 

Any tips? Anything you wish your workspace had but would have been a lot more simple to implement while nothing was in there? Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

"Early to bed, early to rise, work like hell, and advertise."
- Ted Turner

#2 Aaron Scott

Aaron Scott

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

God, we had to build our own server room. That's been... an adventure. If you're putting your workstations in there, expect it to get way, way hotter in there than you'd expect -- we had to put in some serious industrial AC and we only have two racks. I'd also make sure you have some sort of temperature alert installed. The last thing you want is for the AC to give out during a render and melt every server and workstation into a little puddle. We've had a couple circumstances where someone had to rush into the office to save the servers because there was an AC problem.

#3 vozzz

vozzz

Eats, sleeps, drinks MoGraph

• Members
  • 1,789 posts
  • Interests:In Budapest Hungary

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

wow, expansion. Nice!

want to hire me? :D ( haven't seen you on skype in a while, how've you been).

cant come up with anything too useful. maybe a vodka supply pipe? i would appreciate that ;)

i somehow don't see putting workstations into the server room as a good idea. seems like it would cause headaches down the line.

-Aleksey

------------------

Ace5 studios
http://ace5studios.com <-portfolio

http://ace5education.com <-tutorials/blog/facebook page

http://plus.google.c...lekseyVoz/posts <- google+ page

#4 _gl

_gl

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

Do you have a presentation space for sales?

-gl

#5 AromaKat

AromaKat

Mrowwr!

• Members
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

Do you have a presentation space for sales?

-gl

Not really. I have been trying to figure out if that second room should be more of a producer's office than a freelance room.. But we don't have a dedicated, full-time producer.

I haven't ever really needed a boardroom-style presentation room locally. Any time I do, it is hosted by the client.

That is the big question though... freelance vs producer area with the second space.

- Ted Turner

#6 AromaKat

AromaKat

Mrowwr!

• Members
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

God, we had to build our own server room. That's been... an adventure. If you're putting your workstations in there, expect it to get way, way hotter in there than you'd expect -- we had to put in some serious industrial AC and we only have two racks. I'd also make sure you have some sort of temperature alert installed. The last thing you want is for the AC to give out during a render and melt every server and workstation into a little puddle. We've had a couple circumstances where someone had to rush into the office to save the servers because there was an AC problem.

Yes, I am all too familiar with the heat. Right now, all of those machines are right beside our desk. We have been countering it with a stand-alone AC unit which I will wheel in there if need be to suppliment.

I have CoreTemp installed across all machines, which alerts me / shuts down all processes when it gets overloaded. Perhaps I need a way to monitor room temp as well.

- Ted Turner

#7 Aaron Scott

Aaron Scott

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

I forgot to mention: http://www.kegerator.../single-tap.php

#8 AromaKat

AromaKat

Mrowwr!

• Members
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

I forgot to mention: http://www.kegerator.../single-tap.php

Nice, but I'd fill it with Jack Daniels :-)

- Ted Turner

#9 destro

destro

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:41 AM

Elektra_micro_casa_semiautomatica1.jpg

#10 J Montreuil

J Montreuil

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

Super Nintendo in the lobby. That's what I'm doing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users