first reel c4d aftereffects abstract

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sbowes

sbowes

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:05 AM

This is an early draft of my first reel.

Most of it is made up of loops i use for projections to music because thats most of what I have been making. I have some more commercial-like pieces that I might add to create some diversity.

At any rate, I'd like to hear what you think about it. Any glaring mis-steps, anything you're missing from it that I should work on making.

Thanks!

#2 gerkx

gerkx

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

I'm with you for the first six seconds, then everything comes to a grinding halt with the towers of blue blocks. From there on out, it feels like every other shot is too static/un-dynamic and And the pacing is way to slow for the most part. Like at :30 or so there is a wireframe of a landscape that just sits there for a few seconds before anything happens. And I know that they are loops, but every shot has a static camera. While there are a lot of flashing colors, you hold on everything way to long and it just sucks the energy out of the reel.  

There's some cool stuff in there, but also scenes like at :27 that aren't compelling and should go.

Reel:: Gerkx.com/150918/reel

Boing:: Gerkx.com/268953/boing

Portfolio::Gerx.com

#3 sbowes

sbowes

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:37 PM

thanks for the feedback gerkx!

I definitely need to get some camera movement in there. Thats something I need to focus on making more of. Also i think trying to make it a bit shorter will help me to edit out some of the boring bits, and liven up the pacing a bit. I've made a few more little clips since ive made this so I'm going to go for version 2 pretty soon.

#4 _gl

_gl

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

Feels like I have seen some of those elements in GSG tutorials. I would try to either provide your own unique spin or take them out. 

-gl

#5 BoArlander

BoArlander

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

Google: composition visual center. When you have that additional text come up it looks like it's sagging as a group. Make sense? The visual center is higher than the actual center.

Your endtag shows us that you don't know a simple design tenet. That is a huge red flag for anyone with basic knowledge. Including producers even know this. You're better off addressing that as well. If you care about getting work.

I also agree with the other comments above.  Good for an early rough draft. Keep going though. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: first, reel, c4d, aftereffects, abstract

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users