• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Encity

Encity

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

I've modelled of statue (think oscars statue)

And i need to have a solid white line that wraps around it from head to toe as a texture. (across the body,arms, head, etc)

Whats the best way to approach this? im not too familiar with UV maps, ive been trying to "unfold"it but its still a learning process. are there other methods? 

Is it possible to create a line and "project" it onto the surface of the statue in a way that it would wrap around it?

#2 J Montreuil

J Montreuil

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

Do you want the line to spiral down the statue starting at the top?

#3 Encity

Encity

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

yep thats the idea. its actually not a uniform spiral all the way down, but thats the gist of how i want it to happen. it doesnt really make a full spiral rotation either.

#4 J Montreuil

J Montreuil

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

Does it actually need to spiral or can it just appear as if it is?

If it doesn't need to spiral, you can just put some lines on it with a Tile Shader and change the projection from UV to Flat.

Like this: https://www.dropbox....mlcfi/lines.c4d

If it does need to spiral, you are probably going to have to unwrap your UVs and lay them out so that you can make the line continuous from front to back. I'm not good at UVs and not qualified to provide advice.

#5 Davor

Davor

MoGraph Regular

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

To add to this you can also tilt the texture projection to give the lines the appearance of wrapping around. You can do that by clicking the Texture tag, then the object in question, and then going to the texture icon in your tool bar:

texturev.png

Then click the rotate button and spin it to the desired angle.

Hope that helps, otherwise you'd have to make a texture that is actually seamless on the right and left and apply the texture as a "cylinder". The seamless thing is the tricky part.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users