• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Binky

Binky

Wise Sage of mograph

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:51 PM

So I made a video, as described in this Mograph thread, where I take a demo reel and completely revamp it. It's in 4 parts, and it's probably too long, but it's a passable start for what I hope to be a small series of episodes.

PART I - Looking at the original reel

PART II - Selecting and editing the audio (honestly, you can probably skip most of this one)

PART III - Building an intro and starting the edit

PART IV - The final

(720p. Some parts are blocked in Germany, because of record companies. Sorry.)

I hope it's of some use, and no one's seen this yet, so please pile on the constructive criticism if you have it. I'm really trying to figure out how to make these things better. And super huge thanks to levante for letting me use his reel as fodder, as well as everyone else who offered to help.

Carey

ps. Looks like shit on youtube. Still having trouble with compression. If anyone in LA wants to school me on that, I'll come to you.

Edited by Binky, 25 September 2013 - 06:33 PM.

#2 Basic

Basic

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:49 AM

This is great Blinky!!! Now i'm going to read all your posts in your voice!

#3 destro

destro

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:16 AM

Nice. Definitely helpful to me.

I searched the Net for ages looking for a tutorial like this and nothing came up....nothing. I like especially how you deal with the "why" and then the "how". The "why" seems to be the gold here. Lots of tuts say "this is how you get this look/effect" but I find the real and rare value to be more in the "this is why you should do it".

#4 parallax

parallax

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:31 AM

Great work. Regarding the music, except for the De La song those tracks really dreadful. The Sleigh Bells is so-so. I can see the practical use & the feeling you want to convey in it.

Robot dinosaurs might be useful. You have my authorization.

#5 levante

levante

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:guerilla beergardening

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

Damn it - can't watch my own reel now, cause i'm in Germany!

The intro part is fun to watch - though i think the mood of the graphics might be a bit too aggressive for the “nice guy to work with” freelancer type (even with Santa in there). By the way: “Schöner fernsehen” is hard to translate and means something like: “lovelier teleview” but it's also a malapropism for “schöner wohnen” a german magazine similar to “ideal home” (maybe i should have told you that before...).

Overall i'll second destro: it is good that you concentrate on the why - because it is so much more important than which button to press. This really sets your tutorial apart.

Wonder why you worried about the microphone part - i think you're actually pretty good at it.

#6 kitkats

kitkats

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 593 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:14 PM

Its great that you took the time to make this.  Your cutting and audio choice are definitely a big improvement, the cube/headlight cut really stood out in the reel before you broke it down.  My only criticism was that, to me, the intro looked way too much like something I've seen before with the grungey textures and rockabilly-goth aesthetic. But maybe that is due to the fact that you had to invent a personality for someone you don't know, which isn't the point of the tutorial.  The reel content ended up with a lot of smooth gradients, light effects and shiny reflections - maybe it would have been interesting to make some kind of clean, glossy gothrock amalgam instead of flickery-grunge… something that would provide a new take on the aesthetic in the content instead of simply contrasting with it.

#7 daveglanz

daveglanz

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • Interests:wife, daughter, movies, floppy-eared dogs, coffee

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

Binky, you are truly fantastic.

Now I need to build a time machine to bring my 25-year-old self into the present to watch this, send him back, and tell him to memorize this series of tips.

#8 RVA8

RVA8

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

This is fantastic and comes at the perfect time as I'm about to start cutting a new reel! Thanks for this!

#9 Colin@movecraft

Colin@movecraft

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

Thank you! This is now required viewing in my class.

#10 froj

froj

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

Anyone in Germany should have proxtube installed to bypass that GEMA bullshit anyway. None of my business but is there a reason to avoid vimeo by the way?

Can't wait to watch this properly! Thank you

#11 hamax1

hamax1

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:xbox, comics, board games, beer, lacrosse

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

Awesome stuff.  love that intro

#12 Spunj

Spunj

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

The "why" is what I'm constantly searching for.  Endlessly scouring the internets for tutorials/breakdowns that don't sit there and just breakdown a shot of how it was done.  I want to know why it was done. Why were those decisions made.

Binky, I'd buy your book.  Or subscribe to your weekly podcast.  You are planning to do a weekly podcast now, aren't you?  ;)

-Spunj

#13 levante

levante

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:guerilla beergardening

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

Anyone in Germany should have proxtube installed to bypass that GEMA bullshit anyway.

Thanks froj - just came back from the Oktoberfest and i'm properly drunk, but now i can finally watch my very own reel (couldn't get it to work before - thought youtube is only for skate kids & funny cat movies and never really cared about the GEMA problems before). I'll report back when i'm sober again  :blink:

#14 parallax

parallax

Mograph Deity

• Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:59 PM

Maybe put some layer some noise on top of that track. Might work algo-wise.

Robot dinosaurs might be useful. You have my authorization.

#15 javier g

javier g

MoGraph Megastar

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:motion graphics, of course!

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:18 AM

this is great, i love the way you put this togheter, really helpful and funny to watch too.

great work, not surprised since i like to read your post when you comments other people reels.

thanks and keep it up!

#16 Neue Method®

Neue Method®

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:43 AM

Just caught this post right before catching some zzzzz. I haven't looked thoroughly through all the videos yet. But much respect for taking the time to create and share these with the community Binky! 

Just a side note: You may want to post these on Vimeo as well.

Ryan Massiah / Design + Animation

hello[at]ryan-massiah.com / ryan-massiah.com

#17 vozzz

vozzz

Eats, sleeps, drinks MoGraph

• Members
  • 1,775 posts
  • Interests:In Budapest Hungary

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:16 AM

so far on part II and it realyl is wonderful!

love your narration and the tone and all the useful tips and stuff. REALLY informative.

where would you suggest i learn some basics of editing music together? Because right now whenever i try to cut a track down it just sucks.. :(

-Aleksey

------------------

Ace5 studios
http://ace5studios.com <-portfolio

http://ace5education.com <-tutorials/blog/facebook page

http://plus.google.c...lekseyVoz/posts <- google+ page

#18 vozzz

vozzz

Eats, sleeps, drinks MoGraph

• Members
  • 1,775 posts
  • Interests:In Budapest Hungary

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

finished em all! WOnderful!

Make more!

nom nom nom!

-Aleksey

------------------

Ace5 studios
http://ace5studios.com <-portfolio

http://ace5education.com <-tutorials/blog/facebook page

http://plus.google.c...lekseyVoz/posts <- google+ page

#19 throb36

throb36

MoGraph Superstar

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Cheese

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

This is awesome!

#20 jasfish

jasfish

MoGraph Demi-god

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

Much respect Binky. I watched all of these & picked up a lot of good nuggets of wisdom. I've always loved your critiques, honestly the best part of this site right now. You've certainly been tough but fair with some of my stuff which I really appreciate. It's hard to get criticism like that in most places. Really made me re-think some stuff.

I also love the way you talked about the how & why, not just push button A, push button B crap that passes too much for tutorials these days. I want to know the thinking behind it & this delivered in spades.

I've been wanting to re-do my reel for awhile now, and it's certainly given me a lot to consider that I hadn't thought of before. I really want to take the time to re-brand & carefully go through everything. Loved your thought "create an experience for the viewer and that they remember that experience."

This was pure gold. Really hope you do more of these. Another series on your whole design process would be awesome as well. I haven't been active on this site much lately, but wanted to take the time to let you know how much I appreciated all the time & effort that you obviously put into this. It really showed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users