Elektra and Epoxy present 1024: Design in Motion

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_vuzz_*

Guest_vuzz_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:13 PM

Mograph event in Montreal this weekend

I know some on this board are locals, and if you live in NY we are only a 6 hour drive away.

In collaboration with Epoxy, Elektra includes a new design tier in its program this year – 1024: Design in Motion. May 14 at Place des Arts’ 5e salle, internationally recognized artists, among others special effects experts Richard "Dr." Baily (Solaris, The Cell) and Kevin Tod Haug (Seven, Panic Room, Fight Club) and design artists UVA (Massive Attack), d-Fuse (Beck), Étienne Auger (Incandescence) Frédéric Bourque (Ambidextre), Georges Fok (Époxy) and MK12 will present previously unpublished works further to taking part in a panel. Daniel Fortin, creative director, and Jean-Christophe Yacono, creative director – new media at Epoxy, are invited as commissioners for this occasion. www.elektra1024.ca

more on the whole Elektra fest here: http://www.neme.org/...ndex.php?id=105

Edited by vuzz, 09 May 2005 - 11:15 PM.

#2 Guest_Self_90_*

Guest_Self_90_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2005 - 03:02 PM

Perfect something happening in MTL with some mograph artist :)

The list of speakers who will be attending is quit interesting ! hopefully the local people will come.
and we will have a chance to meet !

Merde ! j'suis pas à Montreal en fin de semaine ! :(

It's always like that !

Hopefully someone will have a good resume of the conference on monday!

#3 Guest_govinda_*

Guest_govinda_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2005 - 03:30 PM

Just a note to say that Self has exhausted the board supply of exclamation points. But so that he can keep up his amazing enthusiasm (which frankly keeps me going some days), we're ordering more from Invision Power Services. Should be here in a few days. ;)

#4 Guest_Self_90_*

Guest_Self_90_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2005 - 03:57 PM

SOrry !!!! i'm a bit emphatic

I was pluged on 120 Volts when I was just a Kid, so my fingers just can't stop jumping on that key.

;)

They have created a special shortcut for me in AE 6.5, as soon as you hit that key you get this:
Posted Image

#5 Guest_Self_90_*

Guest_Self_90_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:08 PM

In Montreal last nite was the "gala des artisans PCM", the "behind the scene" of Quebec's commercials industrie, Publicité Club de Montréal.

It's the second years that they are rewarding the people that work in the shadow of all those commercials.

Here are the winners in the TV Post-Production:

For 3d animation the Montreal Compagnie Buzz won with Gaz Metro, they have done a series of commercials with this, Is very good animation.

http://t-bar.ca/fun/0000009366-001.mov

For Special FX Fly Studio won with Sleeman's beer.

http://t-bar.ca/fun/0000008352-001.mov

For the Art directions 401 compagnie won on that very funny commercial, have a look!

http://t-bar.ca/fun/0000009397-001.mov

enjoy tha work, their was no Mograph winners this year?

Hope people go to the Elektra and Epoxy present 1024: Design in Motion this weekend.

#6 Guest_vuzz_*

Guest_vuzz_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:29 PM

Hey self90 did you get to go to the Gala yesterday? I also wanted to ask you about the "Publicité Club de Montréal" do they have a web site or any contact info? I did a search but found nothing.

v

#7 Guest_Self_90_*

Guest_Self_90_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:01 PM

Yes, I was there, It was Ok ... fast delivery of the prices and Ok on the Buffet ;)

They have the "big" Gala next week! for all the creative of the advertising agencies.

Yep the have a site ... http://www.pcm.qc.ca/

I think you have to be member ? or something and $$$

Did U go th the Epoxy, Elektra on saturday ?

#8 Guest_vuzz_*

Guest_vuzz_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:22 PM

merci amigo,

I didn't go but I really wanted to, I'm stuck up at Sauveur doing boring video and audio work. I wanted to see they people from epoxy and see if they live up to all the hype. It would of been nice to mix and mingle also. Thanks for the link.

>v<

#9 Guest_Self_90_*

Guest_Self_90_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2005 - 02:45 PM

I know someone who was suppose to go, have'nt had no news yet ?

Ya, i know some people from Epoxy, I think they live up to their reputation for sure!
They always have been leaders in tha works. ( mainly in print ).
It was surely a good conference and we don't have a lot of occasion to mingle!

when you back to MTL, give me some news.

#10 Guest_renlogik_*

Guest_renlogik_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:13 PM

i was able to go !!! i'll post up a review as soon as i can ! it was a very interresting and inspiring venue....... more to come........

#11 Guest_renlogik_*

Guest_renlogik_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:13 PM

Ok, here it is…… the moment you’ve all been waiting for…… Ren’s review of 1024 at the Elektra last weekend.

Well, the gang at Epoxy does it again ! only the skill and dedication at epoxy combined with the exposure offered by the Elektra festival could bring together some of the leading authorities in the mograph industry.

Here’s a small critique as well as a description of the guests present that day:
(please excuse me for not remembering the names of some of the presenters J )

The event started off with a presentation of a software created “in house” by the gang over at UVA over in London. Since they do a lot of event driven work, they have created a piece of software to enable them to visualize in real-time 3d space the event and coordination of video screens. This impressive software enables them to see, mix and add effects to the different video streams in real-time. Overall (even though the speaker was a little hung over from the previous night’s live performance) this was a interesting look into a different approach to motion work.

Next up was a slightly shy and emotionless speaker Etienne Auger from the French studio “incandescence”. He started off by showing us some of their more experimental clips; I think they where from a vj’ing session. Although the style and animation on these pieces was nothing to write home about, the fact that all of it was scripted within after effects was very interesting. They also presented a website they have produced for a Japanese fashion designer. This site was really very interesting, well worth a look ! I think we all wish that we could have such open minded clients !!!

After this we were introduced to a young talent from here who, I think, splits his time between Montréal and Paris. Frederic Bourque is his name and he leads the studio “ambidextre”. He started of by showing us some of this commercial work including the AMC piece he collaborated on with Shilo. These were pretty unimpressive although very well executed. Then, he gave us a sneak preview of two projects him and his studio were working on. These were really worth it ! Some very original work; look out for theses guys in the future!

D-Fuse from London was up next, presenting some of their vj’ing work and a DVD project done in collaboration with Beck. Overall interesting work although the very geometric and clod style of the design is not really my "cup of tea" and I’m not exactly sure I understood everything they explained with regards to they’re DVD project he had some really interesting points of view to give during the question period about design, inspiration and process.

Right after this we had the very exceptional privilege of listening to epoxy’s resident humble genius George Fok. Although most Montrealers know George’s impressive portfolio inside and out some of the attending audience might not have seen all of his work witch is why he started off by showing some of the vodkice commercials of witch he was the original creator (animation, design and music). After this, he showed us a videoclip he made specifically for the show to one of his new songs that will be coming out on the next “future sounds of Montréal” cd (if I’m not mistaken). Very cool video especially considering it was completely done (shooting and all) in about 4 days before the show.

The next studio needed no real introduction, and I think a lot of the people present were there to see them, MK12 !! I was very impressed by their humble presentation. I must say that their philosophies regarding design and work ethics were the ones that most closely matched my own and it was nice to see that others work in a similar way. We were privileged to be some of the first to be able to see a few (10 or so) minutes of their much awaited, not so short movie “The history of America”. This clip, as well as the exclusive sneak preview of a upcoming music video, displayed clearly why mk12 has and continues to be amongst the leaders in the mograph industry.

Special effects guru Kevin Tod Haug was up next. You might not have heard of him before but you most probably have seen some of sfx work in the cell, fight club and panic room just to name few. I don’t think I need to comment on his impeccable work check out his portfolio, it speaks for it’s self. Very cool to have a world leader in sfx come to speak to us here in Montréal !

Last but oh not least was the rather eccentric Doc Baily. If you had never seen him before (like me) you’ll be hard pressed to forget about him anytime soon ! He has created a piece of software witch enables him to paint with photons (check out his website cause i don’t think I can really explain the process). This enabled him to create, amongst other things, the planet in the movie Solaris. Can’t say I’m a big fan of the look but the output, the process and especially the man were very interesting.

Well that’s about it…… check out the http://www.elektra1024.ca/ website for more details about the festival and the individual guest speakers.

…. I hope that there will more of these events in the future because I think they are a important part of our little community. Again, many thanks to the dream team over at epoxy for making this possible!

Ren

Edited by renlogik, 19 May 2005 - 12:04 AM.

#12 Guest_Sao_Bento_*

Guest_Sao_Bento_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2005 - 10:32 PM

Renlogik got me curious, so here's a couple of Richard "Doc" Baily links I found that explains his software a bit. SPORE is a particle system that can deal with a billion particles or more.

http://tinyurl.com/ag2nl

http://www.artbeats....ticle.php?id=15

#13 Guest_renlogik_*

Guest_renlogik_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2005 - 12:08 AM

here's a direct link to the Doc's company image savant.... trippy stuff :blink:

http://www.imagesavant.com/

ps: you can find a link to all of the speakers from the link in my last post

#14 Guest_Self_90_*

Guest_Self_90_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:17 PM

Thanks again Ren for this well presented resume of the conferences! Hope we have others here in MTL.

Now that Richard "Doc" Baily creates some amazing lighting textures with those particules. I want and had a look at the site ... Trippy stuff for sure, but look at the lighting his stuff can do, this beats the Glow FX!

this is a QT from the site:

http://www.imagesava...tacism-clip.mov

#15 Triad773

Triad773

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:00 AM

If I could delete posts I'd have something for the previous poster alright :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users