Star Wars

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Sao_Bento_*

Guest_Sao_Bento_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2005 - 07:37 PM

StevieGJon, you've been sporting the broken link avatar for a long time now - what's up?

#42 Guest_StevieGJon_*

Guest_StevieGJon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2005 - 07:40 PM

oh yeah, and i dont think anyone has mentioned how they somehow managed to kill the lightsaber fight scenes...it all goes back to the first one when darth maul had the dual saber, and that was cool, but then lucas had to keep on pushing it. i dont know if it was just me, but the saber fights in this one were just dull, yeah there was light flying all over the place, and the random yoda flip, but it became so intense that i couldn't follow what the hell was going on. It just became such a blur of move over move that i didnt even care what they were doing. and why did everyone somehow take on this new martial arts style for their fighting...i know that lucas wanted to have more martial arts and less old medieval fighting, but why...it just doesn't make sense. oh yeah, he wants to turn a quick buck

#43 Guest_igorschmigor_*

Guest_igorschmigor_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2005 - 07:47 PM

and why did everyone somehow take on this new martial arts style for their fighting...i know that lucas wanted to have more martial arts and less old medieval fighting, but why...i

What's good for power rangers can't be bad for Star Wars. ;)
Will there actually be episodes 7 to 9? I once heard that he isn't planning to make the last 3, but considering the incredible financial success of these movies he'd be crazy not to.

#44 Guest_isotropy_*

Guest_isotropy_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2005 - 07:48 PM

AND if you can get someone else to drive, drink/shroom/smoke your head off before you go.  it'll help take the edge off some of the acting. 

View Post

Maybe that's why I liked it so much ;)

#45 Guest_elmyr_*

Guest_elmyr_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2005 - 07:08 AM

I once heard that he isn't planning to make the last 3, but considering the incredible financial success of these movies he'd be crazy not to.

View Post

indeed...

#46 Guest_parsonsprojects_*

Guest_parsonsprojects_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2005 - 09:27 PM

I was among those who went to see the film opening night...I actually loved it, because I felt it bridged the gap to episode 4 quite well. I had pretty low expectations though...I felt the first two were forgettable.

I love the fantasy of Star Wars...it's a beautiful universe and episode 3 was able to recapture some--yes, SOME, not ALL---of the original magic.

I gave it a 9 outta 10.

Oh, and yes...some of the acting was embarrassing...Anakin was better than he was in the second one...he was horrific. Here, he is at least somewhat better.

Even Portman had weak moments. 'Course, maybe I'm just jealous.

#47 Guest_MrCrothers_*

Guest_MrCrothers_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2005 - 11:08 PM

DID ANYONE ELSE NOTICE ANIKIN HAD A PSP!

He totally was playing Twisted Metal when he started dreaming about Obi Wan.

#48 Guest_worldpattern_*

Guest_worldpattern_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2005 - 12:36 AM

DID ANYONE ELSE NOTICE ANIKIN HAD A PSP!

He totally was playing Twisted Metal when he started dreaming about Obi Wan.

View Post

Yeah, I thought of that right away.

I thought overall it was pretty good. I'd rank it third after Empire and New Hope. The scene at the end with Obi-Wan on higher ground was great, but the whole Frankenstein-eque sequence just moments later was one of the worst things in any Star Wars movie (and I'm counting Ewoks). However, for me it was so over the top terrible ( **SPOILER** I'm referring to the horrible lurching and the "NOOOOOO" **END SPOILER**), that I actually love it as one of my favorite things in all the Star Wars movies. I'm not precious about Star Wars like I was when I was younger, so I can take the good with the bad pretty easily now. I'm looking forward to seeing it a couple more times, mostly because I want to take my dad to see it...nostalgic and all since he took me when I was about 5.

#49 Guest_3rdMARTINI_*

Guest_3rdMARTINI_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2005 - 04:31 AM

Tonight was my fiancee's bachelorette party, so for nostaligia's sake, my dad called up and asked me to go see this with him tonight. invisibleelement and his wife were at the same show (and had wayyy better seats).

I was very pleased with how this movie turned out. I'm certainly not a SW psycho fan, but I've been saying since crappy ol' EP1 came out that you should "just wait until EP3... you'll see".

My dad really liked it. Later on he said "I know this sounds stupid, but when they put the mask on Darth Vader and he took that first breath, I got chills." I didn't want to tell him that I actually shed a tear or two once "Plan 66" was under full effect. :unsure: I also get a little choked up every time Yoda kicks ass. Don't know why. He's just so wee... he reminds me of what my dog would be like if you gave her a lightsaber and the ability to fight people.

I have to go see it again though, if nothing more than the fact that we had to sit on the second row near the edge and the screen and the screen was 75'x30'... frickin huge. Missed a lot of the detail simply because we were wayyy too close.

*spoilers*
A knocked up Natalie Portman is a hot thing to behold.

Now, let's talk about the tiny little details that get thrown into these films.

Who saw the Millenium Falcon?
Who caught the Commander Cody line?
Who heard the Tarzan yell come from a Wookiee?

Any other little things in the movie to look out for?

Edited by 3rdMARTINI, 22 May 2005 - 04:35 AM.

#50 Guest_NeoGeniX_*

Guest_NeoGeniX_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2005 - 09:24 PM

Saw it last night with a couple of friends and I loved it. Ok maybe it hasn't got the most fantastic acting or dramatic curve but what the hell its about the lightsabers and the action. The VFX where just amazing...I just love the film only for that...

Do you guys actually see people that are dressed up going to the movies? OMG thats just insane...

#51 Guest_noodles_*

Guest_noodles_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2005 - 11:09 PM

Does anyone else follow Formula 1 racing ?

if yes, did you watch todays Monaco Grand Prix? .. I had to laugh when I noticed that the entire Red Bull Racing team was wearing Star Wars storm trooper and Darth Vader helmets during pitstops and all. Funny at what lenght George Lucas goes to promote his movies.

#52 Guest_loveberyl_*

Guest_loveberyl_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:28 AM

loved it. cried a few times, but thats to be expected from a girl. plus i had a totally hot mograph date. w00t.

#53 Guest_Logan_*

Guest_Logan_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:37 AM

loved it.  cried a few times, but thats to be expected from a girl.  plus i had a totally hot mograph date.  w00t.

View Post

w00t is right. you realize once is never enough, we need to see it a few more times, my dear.

#54 Guest_MBX_*

Guest_MBX_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2005 - 07:02 AM

in one of the scenes where anakin and padme were talking with sooo much emotion i had to keep myself from laughing. i was about to explode. it was just so stupid.

really, these last 3 episodes were built up so linear. fight, dialogue, fight, dialogue, fight, dialogue. and always these stupid sterile temples.
i rather see yoda in the swamps than in some luxury suites.

and sometimes less is really more. there is just too much of these cgi explosions, light saber fights and stupid characters like the grevious.
i miss the charm of the characters & dirt the very first sw movies. these last 3 episodes were all about cgi/ vfx and how you can top it.

what i liked in this last one is the political link. seemed like a fight between republicans & democrats.

Edited by MBX, 23 May 2005 - 07:44 AM.

#55 Guest_NeoGeniX_*

Guest_NeoGeniX_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2005 - 04:40 PM

Does anyone else follow Formula 1 racing ?

if yes, did you watch todays Monaco Grand Prix? .. I had to laugh when I noticed that the entire Red Bull Racing team was wearing Star Wars storm trooper and Darth Vader helmets during pitstops and all. Funny at what lenght George Lucas goes to promote his movies.

View Post

Posted Image

:D

#56 Guest_Deepsky_*

Guest_Deepsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:09 PM

After hearing these up and down reviews I was worried about how bad it was going to be and only would enjoy the visual effects. I went Saturday and was ever so impressed with this movie. Put yourself in Lucas shoes, this guy has created one of the most appreciated franchias of all time. It is phenomenal that this man created such a complex story of 30 years. This guy oversees everything, every detail in this movie and pushes visual and technology further. Besides the original story it was also the special effects that made Star Wars so impressive and memorialable. Lucas had and has alot to bring to the table and meet fans expectations. I feel he finally did.
The beginning of the movie was amazing, never seen anything like it before. The imagination and how believable and drawn in are with the effects, sound, and environments is fantastic. I loved every bit of this movie but two parts. The main one being how Anikin bows down to the Emporer. I see and understand what lucas was proving that he is so lost and confused and in love that he just wanted to save his wife. But I hated this scene and until after the Jedi started to fall I lost being drawn into the movie. I felt the acting was the best out of the last prequals and Christian Hadenson did an amazing job, remember these actors are in front of blue screens most the time. The other part I didn't like was the scene when Darth Vader arises. You have to think how can you make this feel like Star Wars and keep the acting in the Star Wars theme. Can you think of a better way George could have pulled this off? Not showing it I suppose. A few small flaws in the movie are nothing to what George imagined and brought us. Loved this movie and greatly appreciated it. I could see it again and again until I fall asleep to it like I do now with the Original Trilogy.

Watch the movie and appreciate it for the story and visuals. How often does a 6th movie end up being the best one and break box office records? Personally I feel this was the best of the films, I've never seen a movie like it. Even though I still love ESB and knew most of what was going to happen in the movie it surpassed my imagination.

Edited by Deepsky, 25 May 2005 - 10:51 PM.

#57 Guest_Clevz_*

Guest_Clevz_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2005 - 05:40 AM

so who wants to make a bet that there will be a star wars 7?

#58 Guest_thomwill_*

Guest_thomwill_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2005 - 02:56 PM

Now, let's talk about the tiny little details that get thrown into these films.

Who saw the Millenium Falcon?
Who caught the Commander Cody line?
Who heard the Tarzan yell come from a Wookiee?

View Post

the falcon's in there? missed that one...

i caught the commander cody bit, but i don't get it.

the tarzan yell was great, just like chewie in jedi...

#59 Guest_Sao_Bento_*

Guest_Sao_Bento_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2005 - 03:25 PM

As a child I was tormented and deeply disturbed by the asymmetry of the Millennium Falcon. Compared with the perfect symmetrical lines of the star destroyers, land speeders, tie fighters and x-wings, it just didn't fit. In retrospect, it was the single largest influence on my obsession with asymmetric composition and negative space.

Secondly, the idea that Boba Fett's ship flew in the orientation that was the least aerodynamic was also traumatizing to say the least. Once I saw the in-flight orientation, I completely stopped playing with my toy version of the ship.

I'm glad they hadn't thought of giving kids prozac back then.

#60 Guest_Deepsky_*

Guest_Deepsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:55 PM

so who wants to make a bet that there will be a star wars 7?

View Post

Todays news. Lucas has ideas for prequal trilogy before The Fantom Menace.
http://www.moviehole.../news/5674.html

'Nope, not the adventures of young Jar Jar Binks building an underwater haven - but the tales of the Jedi regaining control of the universe from the many Dark Lords some 88 years before Anakin Skywalker's bowl cut ever graced the earth.

Yoda - who was instrumental in the effort - would apparently have a headlining role.'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users