• Guests

Posted 21 October 2004 - 09:45 PM

finally.. some real constructive criticism

you people are idiots

#22 Guest_SermonOfMockery_*

Guest_SermonOfMockery_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2004 - 10:15 PM

actually i think i speak for everyone when i say that i am the only idiot around these parts

#23 Guest_Stubby_*

Guest_Stubby_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2004 - 07:33 AM

This is a weird thread

#24 Guest_Rhino_*

Guest_Rhino_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2004 - 11:11 AM

I have to say, there is some really nice stuff in this reel... But this article is just laughable! http://pixelsurgeon....rview.php?id=73

The Jimi Hendrix of Motion Graphics give me a break!! I do find that comparing him to Van Halen is quite interesting seeing as VH is quite cheesy guitar wank, much like a lot of Justin Harder's work is quite simply graphic wank!!!

I don't mean to put this guy down cos I do like a lot of the work in there...

#25 Guest_SermonOfMockery_*

Guest_SermonOfMockery_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2004 - 01:42 PM

ha ha, i wrote that article... that intro is pretty stupid, i agree.

#26 Guest_paccollective_*

Guest_paccollective_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2004 - 02:08 PM

i like the article and i think it's well written. the intro is fine.

#27 Guest_furikaza_*

Guest_furikaza_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2004 - 06:25 PM

It almost seems to me that people get specially angry when it comes to justin. Is it maybe 'cause right now he is rocking out there getting his hands on another cool project?

I think that beyond anything related to his style (not everyone has to like it) the fact that he has achieved so much as an individual surely deserves some credit.

btw/ I think the article is fine too.

#28 Guest_MBX_*

Guest_MBX_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2004 - 10:10 AM

that interview-intro is really laughable.

and i think it's the way he promote's himself... gives at least me an impression of an egomaniac who thinks he's da man/ king. and he's not...

if you look at his reel, most of the stuff/ design isn't even that personal/ original.

it's all a tdr ripoff more or less and what's not is weak anyway. and the ones who know that know it. maybe you can impress some laymen with that...

#29 Guest_parallax_*

Guest_parallax_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2004 - 11:47 AM

He's a good artist for sure, didn't read the article, but being critical has nothing to do with jealousy does it?
I don't even know the guy, for all i care he could be the best artist in the world. Doesn't make him deserve anything more respect then others apart form his skill.

True respect is reserved for my family, my friends and maybe Bruce Campbell.

#30 Guest_MBX_*

Guest_MBX_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2004 - 11:54 AM

yes to point this out, it has nothing to do with jealousy, at least not my criqtiques/ comments. because i always sent a mail complimenting a guys work when i felt it deserved my attention. not that they needed it but i just said how much i like their work. so i'm absolutely not jealous of anyone who's making it in the biz.
what i just find annoying a bit is that people like mr. harder get so much attention for their "ripoffing tdr" and the way they brand/ promote themselves as the kings of the world.

#31 Guest_SermonOfMockery_*

Guest_SermonOfMockery_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2004 - 12:29 PM

have you seen matt pike's reel? justin harder clearly does tDR better than tDR does tDR :)

#32 Guest_parallax_*

Guest_parallax_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2004 - 03:23 PM

Wasn't necessarily refering to you MBX :)

#33 Guest_MBX_*

Guest_MBX_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2004 - 03:26 PM

sermon, are you kidding?
i dont think that's true. matt pyke's design's stand absolutely above jh's. you can see that even on his new site (universaleverything.com). even his new few works there are far more original. while harder is ripping off blatantly, matt has done a lot more innovation for tdr. harder has the "few" clips in his reel that show off his tdr ripoff work, while matt created worlds at/ for tdr...

i admit the animations aren't really cutting edge in matt's reel, but he's coming from a rather print background.

and also i don't know how much justin is involved in animation himself or if he's only doing the design/ direction or also animation & 3d. but however, i doubt he did everything himself in his reel.

#34 Guest_fredcamino_*

Guest_fredcamino_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2004 - 06:25 PM

yes to point this out, it has nothing to do with jealousy, at least not my criqtiques/ comments. because i always sent a mail complimenting a guys work when i felt it deserved my attention. not that they needed it but i just said how much i like their work. so i'm absolutely not jealous of anyone who's making it in the biz.
what i just find annoying a bit is that people like mr. harder get so much attention for their "ripoffing tdr" and the way they brand/ promote themselves as the kings of the world.

i think it's absolutely genius self promotion. and seriously, i don't know i love the guy or hate the guy. i can't tell if his egotistcal and absolutely absurd behavior (sequencing, sequencer, blah blah) behavior in interviews is simply a grand joke or for real. and that's what makes it work so well.

#35 Guest_SermonOfMockery_*

Guest_SermonOfMockery_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2004 - 07:18 PM

i was half joking, but i do think matt pike's reel is a terrible example of motion design. he's obviously a great designer but he at this point does not have any sense of sequencing or motion. but yeah, although i have to give them credit for defining the style i think lots of people now do it better than tDR themselves do (and i am a huge tDR fan).

#36 Guest_MBX_*

Guest_MBX_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2004 - 07:58 PM

yes it's a bit ridicolous that matt tries to jump into the motiondesign, altough the animation lacks totally, except for the funkstorung clip, which was absolutely hip at that time. he's maybe too old for it now and should rather stick to print until he dies. but maybe it's prestige enough for the tranistor studios to include him, because, oh, he was at tdr. but he deserves kudos for his stills still, there's great stuff.

as for people like monsieur harder... i'd rather kill myself in his situation before it's too late. i think no one wants to die as someone who thought he's great but is actually a non-innovative little rotoscope & ripoff "genius".

:twisted:

#37 Guest_fredcamino_*

Guest_fredcamino_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2004 - 12:50 AM

you guys really take this shit seriously! i don't know if i should be jealous or scared...

#38 Guest_ai_*

Guest_ai_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2004 - 09:54 AM

Hey guys you need to walk and breath some air. what is this hate :

he's maybe too old for it now and should rather stick to print until he dies.

Is that coming from an arrogant preteen or from a bitter old boy?

Cool down everything don't stop at 25.

About matt music video (the most of his reel) please consider doing a 3.30 minutes work maybe on your own. That's a lot of animation work who needs to be carefully organized. That's why i think he choose a slow pace to have less to animate. it's not because your eyes have to stay 2 seconds on the same frame that you should bash him for that.

About harder's reel ok everything is technically well done rythm etc. But what's the spirit in it? it's the same style everybody does but slightly better done. I don't understand the fuss about it. Maybe it's the 500$ jeans?

#39 Guest_MBX_*

Guest_MBX_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2004 - 10:09 AM

it's not hate and i'm not bitter nor old. just take it a bit with irony... :)

#40 Guest_Midlet_*

Guest_Midlet_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2004 - 02:21 AM

Well I kinda liked his old reel better, and the new one was like :? but that's only because it's Justin Harder and I expected a little more. But if that was some guys reel I had never heard of I would be like omfg that was awsome. Anyway I think like it was said earlier some people are taking this a little too seriously, I think if Justin Harder read this it would probably make him feel even more like "da man/king" by seeing how people are (excuse the slang) "hating" on all his work. While others are defending him and it's already gone for 3 pages. As far as him ripping off tdr, weren't a lot of people just talking about how all the masters copied off other masters in the played out stuff thread. Can anyone here really say they never got an idea from watching someone elses work? Bottom line, his work really looks good. I don't really care if he has an ego or not that is beside the point. IMHO he has the right to be pretty confident.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users