Apple is quite the beast this quarter...

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tread_*

Guest_Tread_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:33 PM

http://www.macworld....pdate/index.php

76.6 gigaflops in a single G5! :blink:

can hold 16GB of Ram, 1 terabyte of internal storage, and can drive 4 30" monitors.

Good God.

Edited by Tread, 19 October 2005 - 05:36 PM.

#2 Guest_Self_90_*

Guest_Self_90_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:54 PM

:rolleyes: evolution..

#3 Guest_SermonOfMockery_*

Guest_SermonOfMockery_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:06 PM

nice. this should actually make G5s quite speedy, and finally worth the price.

#4 Guest_onebigidiot_*

Guest_onebigidiot_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:22 PM

nice. this should actually make G5s quite speedy, and finally worth the price.

View Post

$12,000 for 16 GB of DDR RAM.

#5 Guest_Tread_*

Guest_Tread_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:25 PM

let's see... $3299 for the computer, $12000 for the RAM, $10000 for four monitors,

nice... $25000 for a computer.

#6 Guest_SermonOfMockery_*

Guest_SermonOfMockery_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:36 PM

well i was talking about the dual core processors more than the RAM, but yeah.

#7 Guest_Self_90_*

Guest_Self_90_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:47 PM

i think that the dual core processors will be more then welcome ... the RAM ? is there a application that supports over 2 GB of DDR RAM?

#8 Guest_Tread_*

Guest_Tread_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:03 PM

I wasn't takin a shot, I was just making the point that you could so easily make this a $25000 computer. Rediculous.

#9 Guest_thomwill_*

Guest_thomwill_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:15 PM

I wasn't takin a shot, I was just making the point that you could so easily make this a $25000 computer. Rediculous.

View Post

back to the sgi workstations of 10 years ago...

#10 Guest_christianchoice_*

Guest_christianchoice_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:22 PM

hey guys. names phil, and i'm a mographaholic. just wanted to introduce myself and hopefully in a few weeks i'll be able to understand half of the "inside" jokes going on around here :).

since we're talking about workstations, would be the "ultimate workstation" setup.

e.g.: Quad G5 with 30" Cinema Display.
-4 GB of RAM

or would prefer a BOXX setup??
or a custom-built box.

i've thinking about what to buy when i go to my own personal work station. i am really excited about the quad, but for the price of one quad, one could essentially build a dual-core amd setup for half the price, and build a few other boxes, with the remaining half, for a renderfarm.

i would like to get a quad AND build a few AMD workstations for a render farm. of course after some vigorous testing on how well MAC & PC work together rendering an AE project.

#11 Guest_Beaver_*

Guest_Beaver_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:22 PM

According to apple.com this new setup renders AE sessions 69% faster. Hmm!

Edited by Angry Beaver, 19 October 2005 - 07:23 PM.

#12 Guest_Beaver_*

Guest_Beaver_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:27 PM

hey guys.  names phil, and i'm a mographaholic.  just wanted to introduce myself and hopefully in a few weeks i'll be able to understand half of the "inside" jokes going on around here :).

since we're talking about workstations, would be the "ultimate workstation" setup.

e.g.:  Quad G5 with 30" Cinema Display.
              -4 GB of RAM

or would prefer a BOXX setup??
or a custom-built box.
i've thinking about what to buy when i go to my own personal work station.  i am really excited about the quad, but for the price of one quad, one could essentially build a dual-core amd setup for half the price, and build a few other boxes, with the remaining half, for a renderfarm.

i would like to get a quad AND build a few AMD workstations for a render farm.  of course after some vigorous testing on how well MAC & PC work together rendering an AE project.

View Post

Welcome to mograph! Hope you're not easily offended!

#13 Guest_parallax_*

Guest_parallax_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:28 PM

You'd be a fool to buy RAM off Apple. They charge like double the amount, for exactly the same 3rd party memory.

This upgrade was long awaited though, might just be enough to withstand the quad opteron systems that seem to be selling like hotcakes.

#14 Guest_parallax_*

Guest_parallax_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:29 PM

haha. Apple benchmarks...

#15 Guest_silatix_*

Guest_silatix_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:33 PM

well if you guys all switch back to pcs you can buy your motherboards, processors and ram for cheap at random computer fairs from illegal immigrants name simon'..

ill miss those days when i switch to mac.

#16 Guest_SermonOfMockery_*

Guest_SermonOfMockery_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:35 PM

edit- guess i was wrong! apologies!

Edited by SermonOfMockery, 19 October 2005 - 09:25 PM.

#17 Guest_J-Bird_*

Guest_J-Bird_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:12 PM

i think that the dual core processors will be more then welcome ...  the RAM ? is there a application that supports over 2 GB of DDR RAM?

View Post

Yeah, does anyone know about applications supporting so much RAM? What does AE support (max)? If it can handle 16 GBs I'll be drooling all over my myself (and wondering why my wallet is empty).

#18 Guest_Tread_*

Guest_Tread_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:19 PM

AE on mac supports 2gb

#19 Guest_ESC_*

Guest_ESC_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:22 PM

Once 64bit development for most appz gets into high gear, the additional ram will be welcomed. However, this also raises the bar tremendously and the level of quality and ouput expected will send us back to square one.

Edited by ESC, 19 October 2005 - 08:22 PM.

#20 Guest_JMSDigital_*

Guest_JMSDigital_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:34 PM

According to apple.com this new setup renders AE sessions 69% faster.  Hmm!

View Post

o.k. the hardwares there the quad is sweet. but i'm wondering how the hell is it going to run AE faster since AE doesn't even support dual processor let alone 4. whenever they claim something like that take it with a grain of salt. they also claim that motion is real time. and i'm not apple bashing here. the hardware is solid. just their software claims are always way off the mark.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users