The ever growing AE shortcut keys & tips thread!

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_boywonder_*

Guest_boywonder_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2005 - 03:50 PM

So after having finally worked with a couple guys at my level AE-wise, it's nice to finally be able to learn some new tricks from time to time...so I thought this could be a cool thread to share the wealth. So here we go...cool things that may save you a little or a lot of time the next time you do that AE thing you do so well!

1.)Add markers to a layer to reference timings in an audio clip in real-time:

Hit the period button on the keypad and as the audio plays and you want a mark a spot in the clip hit the asterix key on the keypad. Keep doing this until your clip is done and when you stop the audio from playing, all your markers will show up

2.)Swapping footage

Select a layer in your timeline. Then grab a clip, image or comp in the project window and while holding down the option key drag it to the comp window and drop it. Whatever layer was selected will be replaced with the item you dropped on the comp window and that item will retain ALL parameters of the previous item.

3.)Duplicating output settings and multiple outputs

In the render window, if you have a comp that was rendered already and you want to do a new render with those exact settings you can select that finished render and hit command-D...it will duplicate that output, make it active and keep all the previous settings...all you have to do is save the file to your preferred location.

Also, on your output module, you can duplicate that and actually have your render output multiple versions of the same comp, i.e. one as a lossless codec and a second as sorenson, etc.

4.)Proportionally changing your keyframe timings without time strech

If you create a crazy animation with tons of keyframes only to find out it's too fast or slow, this is an easy way to correct that: select all the keyframes hold down the option key and click on the last keyframe of the set and pull it. If done right they should all space out or shrink up proportionally.

5.)Snap to the beginning or end of a layer

As you are scrubbing throught the timeline and you are trying to get to the front or back of that specific layer, if you hold down your shift key the time marker will snap to the closest layer in or out point

6.) Scrubbing audio in a timeline.

If you are trying to get a general idea of the movement of an audio piece or are trying to find that certain drum hit that you were going to use as an animation point if you hold down your command key while moving your current time indicator (time marker) and move it up and down the timeline it will scrub through the audio in real time.

7.) Timeline fine tuning.

Here's some keys to help with some fine tuning in the timeline:

•Select a keyframe and hit option-(left or right arrow) and it will move that keyframe 1 frame
•command-(left or right arrow) moves a frame forward or back as well as page up and page down
•shift-page up or page down moves it 10 frames forward or back
•option-(up or down arrow) choses layer above or below current
•option-command-(up or down arrow) moves current layer above next layer or below previous layer
•select any layer and hit the 'U' key and it will show you only parameters that have keyframes
•press 'home' or 'end' button to go to first or last frame of a comp

8.) Use a mask as an animation spline

If you are having a hard time of trying to make animation happen with the normal bezier tools built into AE you can use a mask to control your animation. First make a mask (open or closed) of any shape. Then click on that layer and twirl down the arrow until you see mask and twirl down the arrow to see mask shape (or select layer and hit m). CLICK ON THE MASK SHAPE PARAMETER TEXT and copy (command-c). Then choose your layer that you want to animate along the mask and hit P for position. CLICK ON THE POSITION PARAMETER TEXT and paste (command-v). You will now have your animation path. Now to make it follow properly with your layer still selected go to your layer menu and down to transform submenu and choose auto-orient. Then check the circle that says orient to path. And there you go!

Well, that's all I got now, I will update more later as I think of it. If you have any cool tips/tricks that are more that just the basic keys please share...let's all be better faster AE users! B)

Edited by boywonder, 28 October 2005 - 06:32 PM.

#2 Guest_noodles_*

Guest_noodles_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2005 - 04:31 PM

cheers for that! :H

escpecially tip no.2....damn, if only you had posted this 1 week ago

#3 Guest_govinda_*

Guest_govinda_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2005 - 05:14 PM

#1 was news to me.

#2 faster to select the layer in the timeline, select the footage in the project window, and hit option-command-/. Or alt-control-/. Get rid of the alt/option and it adds footage to the timeline.

#4 Guest_Beaver_*

Guest_Beaver_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2005 - 05:45 PM

A couple goodies I know:

B and N for your preview bar in and out points.

Shift + 0 (on the number pad) to preview every other frame (awesome time saver for watching down before a render)

Edited by Angry Beaver, 28 October 2005 - 05:48 PM.

#5 Guest_boywonder_*

Guest_boywonder_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2005 - 06:03 PM

A couple goodies I know:

B and N for your preview bar in and out points.

Shift + 0 (on the number pad) to preview every other frame (awesome time saver for watching down before a render)

View Post

Along with these tips if you want to set the in point for a layer at the current time you are at you select the layer and hit option-[ and the same holds true for setting an out point of the selected layer at the current time by hitting option-]

In the same manner if you instead want to make the beginning of your layer start at your current time you select the layer and hit [ as well as if you want the end of a layer be set to the current time you select the layer and hit ]

And with the Shift+0 you can adjust how many frames it skips by going into your time controls palette and specifying it in the blank provided.

#6 Guest_thomwill_*

Guest_thomwill_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2005 - 06:11 PM

shift+F9 eases in
shift+cntrl+F9 eases out
F9 easy eases

#7 Guest_thinkinglink_*

Guest_thinkinglink_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2005 - 06:29 PM

option+command+F will scale the layer to fit the composition. works great for oversized image or pre-comps.

if ur working w/ small lap top or monitor, and u have the time line zoomed in, hold down spacebar and drag around will allow u to move around like the comp window.

"J" and "K" will let u accurately toggle through Keyframes.

page up and page down key will let u move frame by frame like left and right in final cut.

-link

Edited by thinkinglink, 28 October 2005 - 06:31 PM.

#8 Guest_Beaver_*

Guest_Beaver_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2005 - 06:34 PM

option+command+F  will scale the layer to fit the composition. works great for oversized image or pre-comps.
-link

View Post

Oooh good one!

#9 Guest_krpdesign_*

Guest_krpdesign_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:41 PM

to move keyframes, click on them and then use "opt+arrow" to move them left or right. add "shift" to that little equation to move them 10 frames at a time

#10 Guest_fishface_*

Guest_fishface_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2005 - 07:16 AM

To kind of augment #3:

If you are like me, and you (occasionally;) have to make changes to a render, you can hit CMD+OPTION+0 to bring up the render que. Then click on the render you have to 'redo' - most likely because producer negligence, and hit SHIFT+CMD+D. It will duplicate the output module, render name, and the render path - replacing the old file(s) with the new, more correct render.

#11 Guest_PlayerHater_*

Guest_PlayerHater_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2005 - 05:28 PM

select the document in the time line or project window that you need to edit outside of AE, press Apple E

#12 Guest_TimC_*

Guest_TimC_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2005 - 01:24 PM

In the render queue select your comp. Then choose Composition > Add output module. Now you can render and output to more than output setting. Thus rendering only once but creating several different versions (codecs, alpha only, image sequences etc).

cheers
Tim

#13 Guest_gray_*

Guest_gray_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2005 - 01:42 PM

quality thanks

#14 Guest_sergioduque_*

Guest_sergioduque_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2005 - 01:41 AM

good thread.

select a layer and type ONIB the in and out points of the preview bar will match the in and out points of the layer.

if you need to import a clip (frame sequences ex. tifs) instead of importing from AE wicth will only let you import 255 (if i'm correct) frames per time, drag the folder from outside AE directly to the project window this way AE will import everything together.

ctrl shift D to split a layer into 2 according to marquee position.

#15 Guest_mofresh_*

Guest_mofresh_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2005 - 05:00 AM

Some simple ones, but took me a while to know some of them!

[cmd -] is zoom out and resize comp window
[cmd +] is zoom in and resize comp window

[<] is zoom out (no resize)
[>] is zoom in (no resize)
[?] is set to 100% and centre in comp window

[\] switches between comp window and timeliine

Does anyone know if shortcuts exist for:

Turning on motion blur/frame blending/shy layers?

Turning "render from current time" on and off?

Switching between Switches and modes?

I would love to know these ones!

#16 Guest_thomwill_*

Guest_thomwill_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:30 AM

Switching between Switches and modes?

View Post

F4

#17 Guest_joshuarule_*

Guest_joshuarule_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2005 - 08:02 PM

shift and scroll wheel to go left and right in the timeline window

command + alt + scroll wheel to zoom in on timeline

wheel in comp window zooms in and out

I cant live without the scroll wheel...I figured these out cause I use the same shortcuts in pro tools pretty much.

#18 Guest_Sao_Bento_*

Guest_Sao_Bento_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:27 PM

It's Command+Option+scroll wheel on a mac.

shift and scroll wheel to go left and right in the timeline window

command + alt + scroll wheel to zoom in on timeline

wheel in comp window zooms in and out

I cant live without the scroll wheel...I figured these out cause I use the same shortcuts in pro tools pretty much.

View Post

#19 Guest_boywonder_*

Guest_boywonder_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2005 - 03:51 PM

Hey guys, thanks a ton for adding to this thread! It's got a ton of cool tips! Here's one I came across by accident:

If you select a layer in the timeline and hit command-shift-e it will delete all your effects for that layer without have to bring up the effects window.

#20 Guest_chriskelley_*

Guest_chriskelley_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2005 - 05:15 PM

Found a new one for me yesterday:
If you want to add a large number of comps to the render queue without having to go through each comp individually and add it, You can select as many as you want in the project window and drag them into the render queue. Bam.

Tip: Set one up first, so you get the render path set, then drag and drop the rest.

Edit:

Anybody know a hotkey to copy all the effects from a layer without having to open of the effects window and doing it manually? Much like in FCP how you can rightclick->copy attributes

TIA

Edited by chriskelley, 09 December 2005 - 05:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users