CRITICA (was 'Aurora') [1]

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_govinda_*

Guest_govinda_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2005 - 04:04 PM

The intro looks like it's been removed from their reel. :lol: :lol:

(Unless it was somewhere else, can't remember.)

#22 Guest_nextseason_*

Guest_nextseason_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2005 - 04:24 PM

Hmmm, where have I seen that before?
Just can't put my finger on it.

#23 Guest_kagu_*

Guest_kagu_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2005 - 05:27 PM

it looks like the intro magically changed...

#24 Guest_SermonOfMockery_*

Guest_SermonOfMockery_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2005 - 05:46 PM

i dunno, it all looks pretty good to me- but you know how much i like trendy, flashy stuff.

#25 Guest_hetraa_*

Guest_hetraa_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2005 - 02:53 AM

Wow, looks like I really struck a nerve with Mr. Anonymous Hetraa.
You and Zacid would get along great. Enough that he feels the need to critique some of my student work and use words like "Carson" and "Raygun".

You still never answered my question about MK12, the work I was referring to is a total rip. So we're assuming that either the aurora work is yours or you're some anonymous coward just on the board to say things you're too cowardly to say under a real name. If the aurora work isn't yours, where's the fabulous Hetraa site???

Also I'd like to list some other companies that you could copy that would look great on your next reel:
Psyop, Stardust, BNS, Eyeball, Lobo, MK.... oh wait you already got them, Shynola and Blind.
You  have a lot of the after effects tutorial stuff covered so try these guys, looking forward to seeing it!!!! :)

View Post

Gosh, you talk way too much and do too little.
Better the other way round, of coz now u dun get it...maybe in 3 more yrs.
Keep it REEL. peace

#26 Guest_hetraa_*

Guest_hetraa_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:08 AM

Posted Image

Wow, looks like I really struck a nerve with Mr. Anonymous Hetraa.
You and Zacid would get along great. Enough that he feels the need to critique some of my student work and use words like "Carson" and "Raygun".

You still never answered my question about MK12, the work I was referring to is a total rip. So we're assuming that either the aurora work is yours or you're some anonymous coward just on the board to say things you're too cowardly to say under a real name. If the aurora work isn't yours, where's the fabulous Hetraa site???

Also I'd like to list some other companies that you could copy that would look great on your next reel:
Psyop, Stardust, BNS, Eyeball, Lobo, MK.... oh wait you already got them, Shynola and Blind.
You  have a lot of the after effects tutorial stuff covered so try these guys, looking forward to seeing it!!!! :)

View Post

the original creators
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

to let you know who your heros got their inspiration from.

#27 Guest_nextseason_*

Guest_nextseason_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:25 AM

Gosh, you talk way too much and do too little.
Better the other way round, of coz now u dun get it...maybe in 3 more yrs.
Keep it REEL. peace

View Post

yeah, you definitely have a point there, and I definitely don't like getting like that.
That was my honest opinion though about the crit, although was a bit harsh.

peace

#28 Guest_Sao_Bento_*

Guest_Sao_Bento_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2005 - 02:37 PM

>>to let you know who your heros got their inspiration from.<<

But your stuff looked like MK12's stuff, not like this. So to clarify, since you refer to MK12 as "your heroes", I take that to mean that they're not your heros. So are you suggesting that you were independently inspired by the stuff you posted and it is a complete coincidence that your inspiration resulted in almost and exact replica of MK12's inspiration? Wow! what are the odds?

Why take it off your reel then?

#29 Guest_emo_*

Guest_emo_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:24 PM

:H

#30 Guest_govinda_*

Guest_govinda_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:55 PM

But your stuff looked like MK12's stuff, not like this. So to clarify, since you refer to MK12 as "your heroes", I take that to mean that they're not your heros. So are you suggesting that you were independently inspired by the stuff you posted and it is a complete coincidence that your inspiration resulted in almost and exact replica of MK12's inspiration? Wow! what are the odds?

View Post

Could it be they read my post about Shaw Brothers and saw the way out I left open and cribbed from it? Sure, like I said, Shaw Brothers is well known in Asia, but what may not be so well-known is the idea of doing a kitsch-take on them, just like MK12, and doing it as a reel ident, just like MK12. I wish I hadn't defended them now. Right after Nextseason posted after me I realized I was being way too forgiving. Especially now that they've behaved like children in a name-calling fight and applied so much gymnastic logic to dodge even the simplest of questions.

#31 Guest_hetraa_*

Guest_hetraa_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 03:27 AM

Could it be they read my post about Shaw Brothers and saw the way out I left open and cribbed from it? Sure, like I said, Shaw Brothers is well known in Asia, but what may not be so well-known is the idea of doing a kitsch-take on them, just like MK12, and doing it as a reel ident, just like MK12. I wish I hadn't defended them now. Right after Nextseason posted after me I realized I was being way too forgiving. Especially now that they've behaved like children in a name-calling fight and applied so much gymnastic logic to dodge even the simplest of questions.

View Post

To clarify, im not making a pass at them taking inspiration from shaw bros or 60s hk movies. No wrong in that.
Everybody takes inspiration from things around them. Its a sub conscious thing, u absorb elements everyday and somehow it shows in yr work.
One fine day when it comes, you'll develop your own style. that takes time and experience. Different designers are in different stages in their design life, some are students, doing self indulgent stuffs, probably focusing too much on aesthetics (i was once a student, i know) some are starting out, learning how to work the tools(doing wat the client wants), some are past that, and focusing on the ideas n the message,
and slowly the rare others are the ones who develop something new and get known for that. that deserves the most respect.
getting paid for doing what they want, and balancing
'the clients' needs vs their creativity'.

The argument is not abt dissing parties, but abt 'if u accuse pple of rippin off , u better have something good n original to show yrself, if not, good to stay quiet and practise some rotoscoping."

no hard feelings. Im not into dissing pple,
i like learning, growth and progression.

#32 Guest_Sao_Bento_*

Guest_Sao_Bento_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 03:37 AM

To clarify, im not making a pass at them taking inspiration from shaw bros or 60s hk movies. No wrong in that.
Everybody takes inspiration from things around them. Its a sub conscious thing, u absorb elements everyday and somehow it shows in yr work.
One fine day when it comes, you'll develop your own style. that takes time and experience. Different designers are in different stages in their design life, some are students, doing self indulgent stuffs, probably focusing too much on aesthetics (i was once a student, i know) some are starting out, learning how to work the tools(doing wat the client wants), some are past that, and focusing on the ideas n the message,
and slowly the rare others are the ones who develop something new and get known for that. that deserves the most respect.
getting paid for doing what they want, and balancing
'the clients' needs vs their creativity'.

The argument is not abt dissing parties, but abt 'if u accuse pple of rippin off , u better have something good n original to show yrself, if not, good to stay quiet and practise some rotoscoping."

no hard feelings. Im not into dissing pple,
i like learning, growth and progression.

View Post

I hear you on that. I'm glad it's not going to be another Zacid thread.

As far as styles go - they're for rockstars, painters, and illustrators. As designers, our job is to recognize and utilize the associations between things. Every new project needs to communicate a new message and the associations we use must change to suit that message. A designer's work might develop characteristics that can be recognized as his own, but IMHO, the minute you limit yourself to a single style is the moment you stop progressing.

#33 Guest_SermonOfMockery_*

Guest_SermonOfMockery_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 04:10 AM

speak for yourself, i'm a rockstar

#34 Guest_govinda_*

Guest_govinda_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 06:40 AM

Edit: Never mind.

#35 Guest_renascent_*

Guest_renascent_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 01:00 PM

dont you guys ever get tired of yourselves, analising and criting from the sideline all day....?

either get a girlfriend, or start creating that oh so original work yourselves.

i dare state, 90% of the stuff on mograph is derrative shit from "enter big name companies here..."

regards,

The dramah queen

:P

#36 Guest_Sao_Bento_*

Guest_Sao_Bento_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 05:11 PM

speak for yourself, i'm a rockstar

View Post

No doubt.

#37 Guest_Self_90_*

Guest_Self_90_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:29 PM

I hear you on that. I'm glad it's not going to be another Zacid thread.

As far as styles go - they're for rockstars, painters, and illustrators. As designers, our job is to recognize and utilize the associations between things. Every new project needs to communicate a new message and the associations we use must change to suit that message. A designer's work might develop characteristics that can be recognized as his own, but IMHO, the minute you limit yourself to a single style is the moment you stop progressing.

View Post

I like that one: " the minute you limit yourself to a single style is the moment you stop progressing. " your so right Sao!

#38 Guest_Sao_Bento_*

Guest_Sao_Bento_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2005 - 03:03 AM

>>dont you guys ever get tired of yourselves, analising and criting from the sideline all day....?<<

Hey! I take offense at that - I spend all day drawing fluffy bunnies for the Hallmark Shoebox line of greeting cards. I'll have you know I do all my second guessing, analyzing, and critiquing during my breaks - so there!

http://www.hallmark...._DK&rank=P1R10S

Edited by Sao_Bento, 28 May 2005 - 04:43 AM.

#39 Guest_renascent_*

Guest_renascent_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2005 - 03:48 AM

im sure your intelligent enough to get my point though ;)

#40 Guest_firemind_*

Guest_firemind_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:33 PM

'if u accuse pple of rippin off , u better have something good n original to show yrself, if not, good to stay quiet and practise some rotoscoping."

I love the smell of bullshit in the morning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users