"Click to Play" Quicktimes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tshepa21_*

Guest_tshepa21_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:36 PM

Does anyone know how to put a quicktime on a website that doesn't load until the user clicks the actual quicktime movie? I believe it has something to do with embedding the quicktime into the code or something like that. I want to have my reel on my homepage, but I don't want it to load until the user wants to see it, and then clicks it.

Thanks

#2 Guest_3rdMARTINI_*

Guest_3rdMARTINI_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:31 PM

It has to be embedded in a separate HTML page that you put a link to on another page.

//edit: oh wait, you could do a poster frame that triggers the play mechanism. yeah.

Edited by 3rdMARTINI, 18 January 2006 - 08:35 PM.

#3 Guest_pxlwhr_*

Guest_pxlwhr_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:36 PM

yeah I've done that on my site.

you can check out my motion section and open up the code its really easy, here is a basic rundown.

each time you want to put a QT into a page you have your QT then maybe what they call a poster frame, of the movie mostlikely without the controller so its 15 pixels taller than teh dimensions of the qt movie.

you export that single frame from quicktime pro as a movie, then with the code in HTML you embed the quick time likenormal but there is one additional thing to embed, the small single frame QT movie makes the plugin active on teh page and in the HTML code you link it to your larger and longer QT file and it swaps it out on click.

here is some code from my site.

<object classid="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B" width="360" height="259" codebase="http://www.apple.com...rsion=6,0,2,0">
<param name="src" value="fire_poster.mov">
<param name="href" value="fire.mov">
<param name="controller" value="false">
<param name="target" value="myself">
<param name="pluginspage" value="http://www.apple.com...d/indext.html">
<embed width="360" height="259" controller="false" target="myself" href="fire.mov" src="fire_poster.mov" bgcolor="FFFFFF" border="0" pluginspage="http://www.apple.com....html"></embed>
</object>

src is the fire_poster.mov its the single frame, href is linked to my movie in the same directory

hope that helps

#4 Guest_tshepa21_*

Guest_tshepa21_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:44 PM

I'll give that a try. Thanks!

#5 Guest_tshepa21_*

Guest_tshepa21_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:36 AM

pxlwhr, that worked great. That was just what I was looking for. Thank you.

#6 Guest_crabbey1_*

Guest_crabbey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:06 AM

here is some code from my site.

You are the shit... We need more like you... Thank you...

#7 Guest_mordecai_*

Guest_mordecai_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:49 PM

The question has already been answered but I thought I'd put my two cents in for anyone who lacks quicktime pro:

A tutorial I wrote for a few friends:

A simple test

I created this page as a test a few months ago so that I could replicate what I had
taken for granted so many times.

Notice where it says "click here to play"? That's a quicktime movie
there. Sitting...waiting...begging for you to click it. On click, it plays another movie, the trailer.

Here's some interesting params for that quicktime:

<param name="controller" value="FALSE" />
<param name="target" value="myself" />
<param name="src" value="clicktoplay.mov" />
<param name="HREF" value="trailer_hi.mov" />

pretty self explanatory...but: we take off the controller so it looks
like a graphic. we make it play in the same window and we have to movies, one to click and one that plays.

the only other tip I can give is to make sure that you give your
"trailer" 16 extra pixels inside of whatever cell, div, or code (the parameters) to play in. In
the code you can see:

height="220" width="480"

but the ACTUAL height of the movie is: 204 , you have to give the controller enough room on the second movie or your movie will get squished.

there are automators setup for this in osx with quicktime pro, but my example was done without quicktime pro for all you peoples short on $$ like me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users