Stop Alito

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#101 Guest_pixelthief_*

Guest_pixelthief_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:23 PM

I agree there is a good chance it will get reversed, but the truth is we don't know what will happen. This whole things was orchestrated to get a case into the supreme court so that the "new" SCOTUS can re-debate Roe.

It's gonna get interesting, that's fo sho.

#102 Guest_Firebetty_*

Guest_Firebetty_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:42 PM

Geez, as one of the few women who post on this forum, I feel obligated to say something...

Conservatives don't like it when liberals tell them that they can't say "God" in schools, or when we want to take their guns away from them, and they don't like it when we attempt to limit their rights in any way...the reason for that is that like ALL Americans, conservatives like their FREEDOM. So why do they insist on attempting to take OURS from us? Because they can?

There is so much to say on this topic, but it's better if the old, white men of the world solve this issue by consulting their bible and by what God "tells" them is right.

I find it completely hypocritical how conservatives tout that Bush is making the world safer by bringing freedom and democracy to the world (ie Iraq), when in reality this is the only presidency in the history of the US to attempt to dimish it's OWN citizen's freedoms (ie Roe v Wade).

He's not a president, he's a dictator.

#103 Guest_Awesome Swelles_*

Guest_Awesome Swelles_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:55 PM

I agree there is a good chance it will get reversed, but the truth is we don't know what will happen. This whole things was orchestrated to get a case into the supreme court so that the "new" SCOTUS can re-debate Roe.

It's gonna get interesting, that's fo sho.

The problem for conservative judges is that while they don't like abortion, a fundamental pillar of conservative jurisprudence is the idea of settled law. On a lot of issues their first line of defence is that it has already been decided by the court and to reverse that decision would undermine the doctrine of settled law; they set up a very significant hurdle to anyone wanting to reverse a previous decision. In fact I think 5 judges have already said they regard it as settled law.

The South Dakota law is probably an embarrassment for them, as what a lot of conservative jurists have been hoping to do is to box in Roe v Wade by arguing around its edges. I'd expect any direct attack on Roe to fail, but keep an eye out for the Supreme Court ruling on a national law banning partial-birth abortion methods, that's where Alito and Roberts will make their mark.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users