3D Rendering

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ericdeichl_*

Guest_ericdeichl_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 03:24 PM

We have a concept for the MTV 25th Anniversary Award show put on by a London Ad and Design contest.

Need a drawing turned into 3D.

This is a great chance for students to get a book piece.

Contact
ericdeichl@hotmail.com

#2 Guest_kinojay33_*

Guest_kinojay33_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 03:38 PM

We have a concept for the MTV 25th Anniversary Award show put on by a London Ad and Design contest.

Need a drawing turned into 3D.

This is a great chance for students to get a book piece.

Contact
ericdeichl@hotmail.com

First off, I think I speak for most everyone on this site when I implore you not to cross post the same thing to multiple sections of the site. Most of us browse everything, and we will come to your post sooner or later.

I'll leave it to someone else to open up the discussion on the whole "it's an honor to do work for free" thing...

#3 Guest_Hoover_*

Guest_Hoover_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 03:47 PM

hmmm...i'm curious....what kind of a drawing are we talking about here....like an ID piece/logo or.....a full conceptual sketch turned into a 3d environment or what?

#4 Guest_kinojay33_*

Guest_kinojay33_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 04:55 PM

This should be a fairly easy piece for anyone with a basic understanding of 3D. The character isn't very complex at all.

I'm sure you would see a lot of interest (and a better quality final product) if you offered to pay the person who did it. It doesn't have to be much (I'm sure someone would do it for a couple hundred bucks), but it at least sends the message that you respect the talents and efforts of the creator. You wouldn't ask a mechanic to fix your car for free, and it should be the same way with creative talent.

Having proper respect for the value of good design helps all of us in the long run, from the intern to the head of the studio. Just my .02.

#5 Guest_Hoover_*

Guest_Hoover_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:07 PM

I'm with kino....

it seems like a very straightforward project and would be a simple model to pull together, especially considering that there is no riggin' or animation invovled....

but with that said...i don't know too many pros that have time to work on a project like this in exchange for using it in their portfolio...

you may be right that you can get a student to do it....but if they are a decent in 3d, chances are they are getting paid by somebody to do it as well, even though they are still in school

regarding what you should be prepared to provide to 3D artist....it is very helpful to provide two proportionate sketches of your concept; one from a front view, and one from the side. if you can do that, it makes everything much easier throughout the modeling process and you will get a more accurate model with a faster turnaround

just a few thoughts.....

i wish you the best with your project and good luck at the award show

#6 Guest_ericdeichl_*

Guest_ericdeichl_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:11 PM

Its a simple 3D model that I cant do that has a strong chance to win a prestigous award. Simple.

#7 Guest_fishface_*

Guest_fishface_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 06:25 PM

Its a simple 3D model that I cant do that has a strong chance to win a prestigous award. Simple.

So, there is a strong chance that your design will win an award? And I can do the work for you? For Free? Well, that is a lucky break! Do you want to look at my portfolio first, or can I start working for free immediately?

or...may I simply suggest that you simply go out and purchase a 3D app, and simply model it yourself. You wouldn't have to charge yourself a thing for that.

#8 Guest_ericdeichl_*

Guest_ericdeichl_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:06 PM

Just a cool project that would be with some cool people. If your in it for the money, don't waste my time and yours with sarcastic emails. You could be spending that time with your online girlfriends.

Thanks to all the people that are supportive of student creativity and kick-ass ideas. Karma.

Edited by ericdeichl, 03 March 2006 - 07:34 PM.

#9 Guest_Hoover_*

Guest_Hoover_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:14 PM

don't take it too hard...that's just how things are around here, but really we are just telling you what we honestly think....

as I said before....

I wish you the best with the project, and good luck at the awards

-h

#10 Guest_QuentinB_*

Guest_QuentinB_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:36 PM

So, there is a strong chance that your design will win an award? And I can do the work for you? For Free? Well, that is a lucky break! Do you want to look at my portfolio first, or can I start working for free immediately?

or...may I simply suggest that you simply go out and purchase a 3D app, and simply model it yourself. You wouldn't have to charge yourself a thing for that.

With respect to all on this posting first I want to say you guys are making a good point. Second why would you ask someone to do this type of work without due recognition or atleast small compensation, seeing as though you would probably benifit more then the person who actually renderst the 3d image?

By the way, any one ever hear of Falun Dafa? its a pretty cool meditation practice. I have been practicing for three years, its good for clearing the mind and the body, and for getting rid of stress too lol www.falundafa.org

#11 Guest_emmelai_*

Guest_emmelai_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:39 PM

Just a cool project that would be with some cool people. If your in it for the money, don't waste my time and yours with sarcastic emails. You could be spending that time with your online girlfriends.

Thanks to all the people that are supportive of student creativity and kick-ass ideas. Karma.

I am a student....well I'm graduating in May with a BFA in Computer Arts in Animation. I would love the opportunity to add something to my portfolio.

Could I have a little more detailed information of the project?

#12 Guest_QuentinB_*

Guest_QuentinB_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:42 PM

I am a student....well I'm graduating in May with a BFA in Computer Arts in Animation. I would love the opportunity to add something to my portfolio.

Could I have a little more detailed information of the project?

Seems KARMA brings the loose webs of debt tighter with time.....Someone is interested B)

#13 Guest_kinojay33_*

Guest_kinojay33_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 09:21 PM

Yeah, Karma. Exactly. Taking advantage of people, reaping the benefits of their hard-work through personal recognition and financial gains while giving them absolutely nothing? If you're a strong believer in karma, I see an unemployment line in your future.

A word of advice to any students out there looking to do work with this guy--he's already proved himself to be a greedy dick, so what makes you think that you'll get any recognition on this project if he wins an award? And best case scenario, he offers you a job--have fun making $25k a year working 80 hour weeks.

People like this make me sick. There's no reason why you can't at least offer minimum wage for a job that any self-respecting professional would charge $200/hr or more to do.

#14 Guest_kinojay33_*

Guest_kinojay33_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:32 AM

Apparently I'm getting to Eric...

Posted Image

Good.

#15 Guest_atslopes_*

Guest_atslopes_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 03:52 AM

Apparently I'm getting to Eric...

Posted Image

Good.

Wow, this thread is gonna be intresting to read 10 days from now.

Edited by atslopes, 05 March 2006 - 03:54 AM.

#16 Guest_emmelai_*

Guest_emmelai_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:36 AM

Well- not to worry. The jerk never even contacted me....so I guess I won't be the stupid student doing pointless work for free. That's what I call karma. :D

#17 Guest_fishface_*

Guest_fishface_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:48 AM

Well- not to worry. The jerk never even contacted me....so I guess I won't be the stupid student doing pointless work for free. That's what I call karma. :D

I'm sorry to hear that. But, you are better off. There was nothing good that would have come from you working for that guy he wouldn't have respected you or anything you did for him anyway. The PM's that he sent me after my sarcastic reply confirmed that. They blow away the one he sent to kinojay33. Although, I was much more of a dick than kinojay, so I guess its fitting.

If the model was really that easy, and it wasn't your design, you wouldn't have gotten anything from it anyway. He is just another student that needs help with his design I'm sure there are plenty of those in the school you already go to.

Instead of wasting your time with a guy like that, why don't you just design/model something of your own. I'm sure it will be better, and if nothing else it will be your own. A lot of people place an emphasis on what kind of personality you can bring to a project.

#18 Guest_parallax_*

Guest_parallax_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 08:32 AM

I find it weird asking strangers on the web to do my work for me. And if i needed one, i'd surely ask friends/aquintances who can do the job.

Do these guys not have a social network? You're in the advertising/broadcasting business for crying out loud.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users