ADAM SWAAB [1]

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Chinaski_*

Guest_Chinaski_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:09 PM

It is finally online!

Check out my new gothic-themed website. I've added some more work and will have more coming soon. No montage right now. That's several weeks away.

:H

#2 Guest_crabbey1_*

Guest_crabbey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:33 PM

Very cool design... Great style and animation...

#3 Guest_krpdesign_*

Guest_krpdesign_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:43 PM

I can't believe you have judge judy on there! i hate that bitch, but that spot was pretty cool.

#4 Guest_silatix_*

Guest_silatix_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:52 PM

awesome stuff. i had no idea your brother(?) does mr. wiggles.. very cool/sick

#5 Guest_Chinaski_*

Guest_Chinaski_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:50 AM

awesome stuff. i had no idea your brother(?) does mr. wiggles.. very cool/sick

Yep! That's him.

Now, everybody go to his website and buy his books!

KRP, Judge Judy was very nice in person. I had a great time on that job and even had my picture taken with her.

#6 Guest_fredcamino_*

Guest_fredcamino_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 02:05 AM

I LOVE IT!

#7 Guest_JR_*

Guest_JR_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 02:13 AM

very nice work. the Icarus piece is mind blowing.

JR
thehive

#8 Guest_FlipSwitch_*

Guest_FlipSwitch_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 02:23 AM

wow... amazing

#9 Guest_markokon_*

Guest_markokon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 05:44 AM

Impressive work! A good variety too. I'm not crazy about the website design though.

#10 Guest_Tread_*

Guest_Tread_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:48 PM

markokon, your statement is just about completely useless. Nothing bugs me more than remarks like, 'I'm not crazy about this, I'm not diggin that...' Why don't you say why? Otherwise you are just pointlessly inserting your own personal preference which I'm willing to bet makes no difference to Adam or anyone else. There is an aspect of reason behind design, so give us a reason for your dislike.

please.

I like the site adam. It's friggin sweet, and pretty damn unique in it's visuals.

#11 Guest_fredcamino_*

Guest_fredcamino_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 05:06 PM

markokon, your statement is just about completely useless. Nothing bugs me more than remarks like, 'I'm not crazy about this, I'm not diggin that...' Why don't you say why? Otherwise you are just pointlessly inserting your own personal preference which I'm willing to bet makes no difference to Adam or anyone else. There is an aspect of reason behind design, so give us a reason for your dislike.

please.

I like the site adam. It's friggin sweet, and pretty damn unique in it's visuals.

umm... can you tell us why it's "friggin sweet"? seems like some pretty empty adjectives there. almost seems like personal preference. how does "friggin sweet" help you, or me, or adam for that matter? tell us WHY it is "friggin sweet", in minute and lengthy detail too (no less that 5 complete paragraphs), or else, what's the point?

please.

and "pretty damn unique in it's visuals" means nothing. it is visuals??? what?!?!

#12 Guest_Chinaski_*

Guest_Chinaski_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 05:11 PM

please.

Thanks, Tread.

Markokon's statement really didn't bother me. I've been on this board enough to expect a few comments like that whenever I post something. I do agree that generic statements like "It doesn't do anything for me" or "I don't like it" aren't really very useful if there is no reasoning behind them. And, I don't expect everybody to like what I do. These days I'm really just trying to make work that I'm happy with, and if other people like what I do then that is a great bonus. But, Markokon had something nice to say about the work on the site, which was really nice to hear, even if he didn't care for the site.

#13 Guest_Self_90_*

Guest_Self_90_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 05:14 PM

Chinaski you must have a trophy room !! Nice list of awards and well deserved, You got some great work.

I'm not crazy about the website design ... Maybe It's not his style and likes on design? Yes he should have said why and added words like: friggin, pretty, unique <_<

Effectively a unique style to your web site Chinaski, it really differs from the usual sites we see.

#14 Guest_Tread_*

Guest_Tread_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 05:31 PM

umm... can you tell us why it's "friggin sweet"? seems like some pretty empty adjectives there. almost seems like personal preference. how does "friggin sweet" help you, or me, or adam for that matter? tell us WHY it is "friggin sweet", in minute and lengthy detail too (no less that 5 complete paragraphs), or else, what's the point?

please.

and "pretty damn unique in it's visuals" means nothing. it is visuals??? what?!?!

can you give us more reason behind you being ghey? then maybe we can start moving in a direction of improving that.

It's really just a general statement to everyone. Like when I posted my reel, people were all like, 'I'm not diggin the music', well, I don't really care if you don't tell me why it isn't working. It not working is totally different from someone not liking it. ok, I'm done.

#15 Guest_fredcamino_*

Guest_fredcamino_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 05:35 PM

can you give us more reason behind you being ghey? then maybe we can start moving in a direction of improving that.

It's really just a general statement to everyone. Like when I posted my reel, people were all like, 'I'm not diggin the music', well, I don't really care if you don't tell me why it isn't working. It not working is totally different from someone not liking it. ok, I'm done.

i <3 you. in a ghey way. B========D~~~~

but i think sometimes in matters or art, which there is a bit of in design, personal taste is a legitimate reason. i'm sure people could not put into words why they didn't like the music in your reel, just like i can't put into words why i don't like the taste of tomatoes. they just don't work for me.

#16 Guest_LA40RGE_*

Guest_LA40RGE_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 05:37 PM

Great work Chinaski! On both the site and the work.

Are you a 2D or a 3D animator? I'm guessing both, but maybe signifying that per project might make it easier for the viewer to distinguish... Just a thought...

I'm also in the midst of finally figuring out a real site for myself (as opposed to the "coming soon" that's been up there for over a year yikes!!), and seeing how creative one can be without using flash is very inspirational.

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I CAN'T work on the design of a site without storyboarding out how the motion would work (loader, transition animations, et cetera). It's really slowing down my process and pissing me off. I keep thinking that I need to do my site in flash because I wanna see it moooooove... unfortunately I'm no programmer, and i don't want the site to be slow. This is my conundrum.

Your site shows that you can make a site that's technically more basic than say, flash embedded with video & XML backend, and still have it hold the viewer's interest and look great. Bottom line is that the motion work holds it own without needing a fancy preloader and a dragable custom video clip player with a roll-over HUD. And isn't that the fundamental thinking of design? Boiling it down to the essence? Beatrice Warde's "The Crystal Goblet" anyone?

Good shit.

#17 Guest_Chinaski_*

Guest_Chinaski_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 05:56 PM

Great work Chinaski! On both the site and the work.

Are you a 2D or a 3D animator? I'm guessing both, but maybe signifying that per project might make it easier for the viewer to distinguish... Just a thought...

I'm also in the midst of finally figuring out a real site for myself (as opposed to the "coming soon" that's been up there for over a year yikes!!), and seeing how creative one can be without using flash is very inspirational.

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I CAN'T work on the design of a site without storyboarding out how the motion would work (loader, transition animations, et cetera). It's really slowing down my process and pissing me off. I keep thinking that I need to do my site in flash because I wanna see it moooooove... unfortunately I'm no programmer, and i don't want the site to be slow. This is my conundrum.

Your site shows that you can make a site that's technically more basic than say, flash embedded with video & XML backend, and still have it hold the viewer's interest and look great. Bottom line is that the motion work holds it own without needing a fancy preloader and a dragable custom video clip player with a roll-over HUD. And isn't that the fundamental thinking of design? Boiling it down to the essence? Beatrice Warde's "The Crystal Goblet" anyone?

Good shit.

Thanks for the nice compliments!

I am both a 3D and 2D animator. I tried to keep my credit list simple, just saying either design, animation, or both. But, in reality, unless otherwise stated, on all the pieces I did the modeling, lighting, texturing, animation, and compositing. Some design, too, but if I wasn't the lead designer I don't list it.

And for your website, keep in mind that you will want to update your website with new work quite a bit. Make sure you have a site that is flexible and easy to update. That's why I chose the format I did. I can add a new project in about 10 minutes, which will make doing updates a lot easier and hopefully more frequent. Depending on what you're doing nd how youhave it set up, flash sites can be a real pain to update.

#18 Guest_Self_90_*

Guest_Self_90_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 06:09 PM

Good point !! I was thinking the same thing this week while working on my T-bar site! I can'T do flash
and I want for basic stuff!

#19 Guest_krpdesign_*

Guest_krpdesign_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:10 PM

KRP, Judge Judy was very nice in person. I had a great time on that job and even had my picture taken with her.

You must've had a good time on it....It shows. I really like that piece a lot. And I'm sure she is nice in person, and just uses that "mean bitch" act to boost ratings. Well, ratings and the fact that she has to deal with those schmucks all the time.

#20 Guest_nextseason_*

Guest_nextseason_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2006 - 03:40 AM

I think the work is great, keep us updated with new stuff...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users