Sign in to follow this  
microdot

AE7 and OSX 10.4.8 update

AE7 no longer opens, and I've tried everything on the adobe site.

Started right after I updated to 10.4.8. (yes, I realize I can downgrade, . . . *)

But I'm curious, anybody else having this issue?

dot

Guest Sao_bento

been using 10.4.8 since it came out without any issues in AE.

No problems here.

The common problem when making changes to the Mac OS is to have a permissions mismatch. Try manually checking the permissions for the app, the folders containing it, etc. or just do a permissions repair and hope it works out.

I just had a nasty issue with AE 7 crashing while opening files, and thought it might have been the recent OS 10.4.8 update. After trying a permissions repair and a disk defragment, among other things, I still had the problem. Just as I was about to put my head through my monitor, I realized that the AE projects were crashing as they were loading Quicktime footage. I did some tests and realized that it was indeed a Quicktime- After Effects Issue. I went back and found the last Quicktime updater (the Mac OS automatically saves them) and reinstalled it. This fixed the problem. It's worth giving this a shot if the other suggestions don't work out.

I couldnt get Ae7 demo or 6.5 pro working on my intel imac maybe due to the same reason.

I decided to go the bootcamp route as I figured it would run faster under windows and I have 6.5 pro for windows anyway.

Maybe adobe will do a cross grade for me when they release the intel mac native version hopefully in the near future.

Just an update.

Adobe says they've had some calls about this recently, but they don't know what it is.

They said they'd call me back in less than 48 hrs. :(

Between this, and the 'hide app' issues, I'm jonsin' for 7.1!!!

Seems i'm experiencing the same problem as microdot.

Just installed AE7 and it simply won't open. The splashscreen loads ok, but when it's supposed to actually start, it crashes :(

Seems i'm experiencing the same problem as microdot.

Just installed AE7 and it simply won't open. The splashscreen loads ok, but when it's supposed to actually start, it crashes :(

Just to add more information: I am having similar issues with AE 7 that seem related to Quicktime. Nucleo Pro was also failing, and after sending the error log to Gridiron, they said that indeed there is a Quicktime issue at work here. I'm not sure if this is the same issue all of you are experiencing, but take a look at Quicktime if you haven't already.

i've had something weird thats been happening with my ae. i'm a fan of hiding applications and sometimes, not all the time, when i hide ae it won't come back at all. apple+tab, clicking on the app in the dock, none of it. i'm left with having to force quit it. anyone else had this issue?

I'm not sure if this is the same problem you're having but...

I had some strange problems with my machine when I updated to os 10.4.8... my After Effects 6.5, sorenson squeeze and a few other applications wouldn't open.

I first tried disk utilities but that didn't do much. So in the end I ran disk warrior. That seem to solve the problem.

It must have been some operating system file error.

i've had something weird thats been happening with my ae. i'm a fan of hiding applications and sometimes, not all the time, when i hide ae it won't come back at all. apple+tab, clicking on the app in the dock, none of it. i'm left with having to force quit it. anyone else had this issue?

I have that problem with AE 6.5 a lot and sometimes Final Cut... it's gives me a pain in my arse.

just curious if anyone here has tried trashing the prefs? and if this helps?

Yeah, I did give that a shot, but no luck. I also reinstalled another copy of AE 7 and that didn't help either.

I've got AE 7 running now, but sans Nucleo Pro, and if I restart my machine, the problem comes back until I run that last QT updater. The updater gives me an error and fails to install, but after that I can get AE to function normally. Weird weird weird. I'm swamped with projects right now, so I don't really have time to get to the bottom of this, but I'll share anything I find out along the way.

Yeah, I did give that a shot, but no luck. I also reinstalled another copy of AE 7 and that didn't help either.

I've got AE 7 running now, but sans Nucleo Pro, and if I restart my machine, the problem comes back until I run that last QT updater. The updater gives me an error and fails to install, but after that I can get AE to function normally. Weird weird weird. I'm swamped with projects right now, so I don't really have time to get to the bottom of this, but I'll share anything I find out along the way.

I thought I'd follow up on this in case anyone is still having issues. I was able to correct my Quicktime/ After Effects problems by re-downloading the Quicktime 7.1.3 installer and running it again. I already had one on my HD from Software Update, but apparently it was corrupted somehow, because it would not work. The new version I downloaded worked fine, and AE 7 is happy again, as well as Nucleo Pro, which also wasn't working before. Both the Nucleo and After Effects error logs pointed to Quicktime, so if you're having similar issues this is worth a shot.

nice. Good to know, thanks.

I took the long way home, and zapped the system.

I'm now cowering back at 10.4.5.

Why is it that you find the best tech support from the community, and not from Adobe?

They're proly trolling the forums when you call them too.

m

nice. Good to know, thanks.

I took the long way home, and zapped the system.

I'm now cowering back at 10.4.5.

Why is it that you find the best tech support from the community, and not from Adobe?

They're proly trolling the forums when you call them too.

m

Honestly the guys that got me out of this were the superb Grdiron Nucleo team. They responded within hours to my email, sent me some diagnostic stuff that ran some tests and generated some logs, then they told me what the logs told them. That's how I was sure it was Quicktime and not something else. There's nothing like a small, hungry company when it comes to this sort of thing. Otherwise I probably would have had Adobe and Apple pointing fingers at each other with no resolution.

My general rule with tech support with companies like Adobe and Apple is to not even deal with the first tier technicians. In their defense, they have to deal with every noob and old lady who's computer is unplugged and mysteriously doesn't work, so they want to walk you through all the obvious BS. I usually explain that I'm not an idiot, and then tell them all of the things that I've tried, and usually they'll kick me up to a higher level of support. I've found that Apple has some really amazing people in their upper level support; I had an issue years ago with a SCSI disk array, and they were all over it and didn't give up until they created a custom fix for it.

Hey guys, thought I might chime in. I have had the same quicktime import crashing problem since installing the FinalCut crossgrade and updating to quicktime 7.1.3.

I am running AE6.5 (don't ask) and the only solution I found was to remove the 2 avid meriden components to quicktime in the library/quicktime folders, named as:

AvidAVUICodec.component

AvidAVDJCodec.component

once I did this AE started right up, still running fine. Once I drop these bad boys back in, bam! Crashes again.

Wasup w'dat? I dunno...but my workaround is to have a shortcut to that folder and drop them in and out when needed, which is pretty much several times a day....

Anyway, I guess Avid needs to update those Meridien components to work with the newest quicktime, btw, I found a June2006 version of those and when I put those in AE still crashes, but with those I can't even export a meridien quicktime out of the quicktime player, all I get is a gray screen, so I am using the 2002 versions and that works fine for reading/import/export (once I drop them back into the quicktime folder).

All versions of these components are available in the downloads on the avid website...let me know if you need links...

Hope this helps somebody else....

pape