Sign in to follow this  
Mike D

Final Logo Design

hey man.

i think it works. the color separation makes it clear that the logo consists of both your initials. a very classic & serious look.

the only weird thing are the white dots which appear in the middle of the squares when you look at it for a while but well its a know optical illusion. don't know if it was your intention to put that in.

Howdy Mikey,

I see the dots too - it's a reasonably well known optical illusion. But only cause they were mentioned.

Looks heaps stronger with these colours (or lack thereof) than the previous coloured version you posted elsewhere.

I'm still not totally sold on the shape of the M.

:)

welcome BTW

:D

****If you look closer -- its a M and lower casr d in the logo ****

make it a Capital D, nothing in your type would suggest there to be a lowercase so it doesnt communicate being a lowercase d... which only adds confusion.

so gray up 6 and 8 :)

and the Cuts thru the blocks to make it an M feels ackward too... maybe leave 1 and 3 a normal clock and 2 half a block...

Edited by renascent

Yeah i did not see a d in there until you wrote that it was lowercase. If you're going to use that logo, i would make the d in the "MD Films" below lowercase as well.

Also I agree the cut looks a little weird, maybe leave out the top middle block completely, i think that would convey an "M" with no cut and still leave a lowercase "d"

i didn't quite catch the "d" initially, which isn't necessarily that bad. but as soon as i distiguished the "d", i then saw a preceeeding "r" by the same visual rationale.

another issue i think is the semiotics of the pictograph. an arrangement of squares can easily pass as non-referential (or represent abstract concepts like math, etc.), but your overlapping/carving triangle, in combination with the grid of squares, evokes an immediate reference to architecture. i actually thought you were a 3D person who specialized in architechtural visualizations upon seeing it.

i also feel that the "MDFILMS" typography is disharmonious with the logo pictograph-- though this is not as big a deal since it's very common in logos. i apologize if i sound clinical or snooty, but all this is meant to be purely constructive and i hope it helps in some way.

i get the concept but it's not really working... you use a modular solution for the D, but another, seemingly arbitrary, solution for the M, and they just don't work together for me.

if you want to stick with this concept, i'd suggest building the M and D out of a finer grid- say 8x8 or something- so you don't have to rely on the cuts to resolve the M and can give the D some more definition and make it more apparent.

just my $.02

I think Sermon is right about increasing the number of squares in the grid. Right now, it's too clunky looking and I think you could even go asymmetrical with the 'M' and 'd' in order to have the a decent amount of contrast between the two letters. Also, once you've got the basic design down, consider adding color to heighten the contrast...but don't do so until you've got it looking good in b/w.

it's not about "like" and "want"... critique your work objectively by whatever criteria are appropriate, not what you like, or what i like... clarity, legibility, etc. and what are you trying to say with this mark? if the message is clear, then it's successful, period.

The M needs to be more pronounced, and maybe the perspective shifted a little more to add balance to the M compared to the D. You should aim for something that can be immediately recognizable, no one wants to decipher a logo.

u gotta expand ur mind, man!

right now you are already restricting yourself tooo much. play with color! it can make it much more aesthetically interesting and pleasing to the eye. and who knows, maybe you wont find a color scheme that u like as much as the black and white, but you are gaining nothing by not experimenting.

and play with symmetry. there are many many different types of layouts you can explore here and you are restricting yourself to a standard, bilateral composition. move stuff around. a2visual was correct in telling you that u need to do more drawings. i think u are just feeling impatient and want to get urself out there asap, and the rush is hurting your creative flow.

you dont need to show every little modification you do to your logo to a forum of people you've never met either. do like 12 sketches and get the opinions of your friends, co-workers, kids WHOEVER. those people never know why things work, but they know if they do or not.

Edited by jeffrey

a step in the right direction ?

maybe drop the grid. or find someway to make the M work with the grid. then again, while the grid was architectural, this is exponentially more architectural, as your giving your logotype the perspective of a geometric shape in 3d space... so might be misleading.. like krp said, try as many different directions as you have time for.

Edited by mete_shop

I read a technique one designer uses to get to the 'core' of the client (in this case, yourself), he would make a bullseye with 3 circles and write down descriptive words about the client (your company/yourself). In the center he would put the best descriptive word, and in the 2nd ring, the next best, and the third, the third best...you get the idea.

That way you have something visual that will help you with your thought proces...then just sketch to hell and see what happens. I've found that good design comes from an organic process that evolves over time. Go watch Sketches of Frank Gehry and you'll see beautiful examples of this. It's all in the process, just like jeffrey said, don't rush it.