Sign in to follow this  
Firebetty

Burnout.

What do you guys do when you feel completely burntout and uninspired?

I've been feeling that way lately, rented Sketches of Frank Gehry on a whim and it turned out to be a pretty inspirational film.

Aside from that, stay away from the comp, think about what is was like to be a child, play videogames, walk down the toy aisle at Target, go outside.

Recently I've been getting back to the basics, reading Hofmann...the line and the dot baby!

I started cycling. Its amazing how much more you see and appreciate your enviroment when you cycle.

"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." ~ H.G. Wells

well after more than 4 years of failing to realise what burnout REALLY is, I'm off to New Zealand for a holiday early next year, kayaking, walking no computers, fun times and laughter - my heads already there.

if I'm honest my work has really suffered from being burnt out - so much so I am at that stage of re-considering career etc. I'm not expecting a miracle/change with taking a break, but I am looking forward to my thoughts beginning again.

Take a long drive to the desert and blow through about 200 rounds with that sweet revolver of yours.

The noise, smell of gunpowder and adrenaline in the open space and desert air will clear you mind.

Stare at the sky until your eyes ache and then yell profanities at the passing clouds. Blame them for making you favorite shirt shrink in the dryer. Demand they rain on OJ's house for a year. Tell them that they're pompous asses and that white was soooo lat year.

Take off all your clothes and run around the back yard...or, if you're brave run to the mailbox and back!

Eat 5 jalapeño peppers and see how long you can wait to take a drink.

Spend the money on a plane ride to somewhere really, really cold, like Colorado Springs. Bundle up, stand in the snow and let the freezing rain/cold wind/snow pelt your cheeks and forehead. Breathe deep and take in the majesty of nature's giants rising to dizzying heights, disappearing in sad, gray clouds.

Basically, use your 5 senses to take your mind off of work.

Going places ive never been to and getting lost on purpose works too. Go for a bike ride and dont turn back till youve gone too far and need to book yourself into a motel.. ive done it twice by accident but its always made me feel so liberated and self sufficient. I got up early both times and started riding before dawn and it seriously felt like was starting another life again. I could hear "born slippy" playing in my head even :)

burnout can be pretty bad, i think getting back into the flow of work after a break to get work off the mind can be as hard, if not harder to deal with.

for that sometimes immersing myself in my own work helps too. 4 nights of little sleep and lots of work on a project i chose makes me excited about the art of it all again. No restrictions on creativity, budget or anything, and the late hours on a dreamt up project + beaucoup caffeine remind me of uni days when I was *really* excited about all of this.

i read the mograph rip thread... maybe this should be linked there? ;)

Guest bne meyrs

omg, I'm doing that TONIGHT....

Going places ive never been to and getting lost on purpose works too. Go for a bike ride and dont turn back till youve gone too far and need to book yourself into a motel.. ive done it twice by accident but its always made me feel so liberated and self sufficient. I got up early both times and started riding before dawn and it seriously felt like was starting another life again. I could hear "born slippy" playing in my head even :)

Harry, thanks for pointing out these links! MADE MY DAY!

Kind Regards,

LRR

No prob. There's enough wisdom dispensed in those two video to watch them once or twice a year to refocus on the creative process.

Thanks Belief!!

all of these are good advices, but, what happen when you are stuck at work, and can go out to take that f....walk and you have to finish a lot of work in one week?

ok i think a need to take some vacations......now

all of these are good advices, but, what happen when you are stuck at work, and can go out to take that f....walk and you have to finish a lot of work in one week?

ok i think a need to take some vacations......now

i bought a slab of thai redbull 2 weeks ago that seemed to take care of the short term problems i had

wow. I made it through the first video and it was pretty cool. eye opening, even, in lots of little ways. thanks for posting. didn't make it through the second one, the first one used up all my concentration.

As for burnout. I burnt out at the end of 2005. I was so burnt I didn't give a shit about anything mograph or related for the life of me. I quit my job and took 2006 off completely. For the entire year I've done whatever I wanted (which included a lot of nothing). It took about three months to even get interested in design again (by staying away from it).

Now 2006 is over and I've gotten excited about it all again... and I need to start making money again. Sometimes you gotta step waaaay back in order to get a little perspective and realize that you do love what you do.

On a smaller scale that bike idea is great.

I did something like it with a weekend road trip a few years back. I didn't know where I was going but I ended up around Death Valley. I took hundreds of pictures, a handfull of which resulted in the basis for a short film I did this year, and some others which worked into some other projects of mine that I enjoyed a lot. As I look back, the projects that resulted from the road trip imagery are the most "original" that I've done in a while, because I can say with total certainty that those projects are 100% me and 0% anybody else's work.

What I learned there is that it really is "garbage in, garbage out". We should some fresh stuff into our idea-o-matics or our entire industry is going to get even more insestuous than it already is. I think that is just one of the (many) reasons designers burn out, you can't run on crappy fuel.

Oh yeah...almost forgot my first love and ultimate head-clearing exercise: triple digit speed. Mixed with lots of corners and knee-dragging. Deals Gap and other surrounding Smoky Mountain roads are the best for that.

gap.jpg

Cf