Sign in to follow this  
ducroz

growing polygons

i've seen this been done quite a lot, and was wondering how it could be done in c4d

movie

if you scrub through frames 1 by 1 polygon objects appear then grow.

what steps are required to achieve this?

bd

I reckon booleans for sure

you could use Xrefs in 3ds max - which I believe this was done in - to animate individual or groups of polys.

Edited by Ratbaggy

all I can think of is using visibility on/off and scaling also. didn't think of the booleans though, thats a good idea.

any other suggestions?

Sweep nurbs.

you could also use PLA (Point Level Animation) or bones/joints to fold/unfold objects

it is probably a little bit of everything mentioned in the thread, along with alot of painstaking animation work

Certainly looks like animated Booleans, don't know how to do it in Cinema but in Electric Image you attach the Boolean shader to an object that encompasses the object you want to reveal, then you animate the Boolean object - It will reveal the object beneath, as if by magic.

I did a quick concept: http://homepage.mac.com/cake_or_death/EtapTT2Comp.mov (3megs)

It's Phong and there are some geometry errors (hey, it's only a test ;) but that took about an hour to create and I'd never done it before so it's certainly worth a go!

Ian

I reckon booleans for sure

you could use Xrefs in 3ds max - which I believe this was done in - to animate individual or groups of polys.

Xrefs? an Xref is a "External Reference" which is used to embed the contents of one file into another. Not applicable here.

Xrefs? an Xref is a "External Reference" which is used to embed the contents of one file into another.

Oh god... one day for C4D...

*crosses fingers hopefully*

-m

Edited by the_Monkey

Dont know what package you are using, but in Max you can also use a slice plane modifier. Some of the frames here seem to work this way (especially when the engine block has the tubes "grow" on. they are kind of a pain since the plane is infinite and cannot be deformed or scale (at least that I know of), but are a very easy way to reveal things. Other than that animating the scale/rotation/position and the visibility parameter of the object. Hope it helps and if anyone else has ideas (especially for Max) please chime in as I am working on a personal project of a similar type.

Xrefs? an Xref is a "External Reference" which is used to embed the contents of one file into another. Not applicable here.

yeah d'oh! to much work in putting together proposal for website ... I meant XForm

good pick up :)

You sure can Monkey.

just right click the scale transform icon and you can change it in Offset:Local to 0 - comes in handy but I can imagine 0.001 would do the trick too.

As for booleans, their pretty bad in 3ds max so I'd go with the slice modifer which are much easier to animate and change.

Edited by Patdc

You sure can Monkey.

just right click the scale transform icon and you can change it in Offset:Local to 0 - comes in handy but I can imagine 0.001 would do the trick too.

As for booleans, their pretty bad in 3ds max so I'd go with the slice modifer which are much easier to animate and change.

I've been intrigued by the slice modifier since Renascent mentioned that's how he does some of his 3D reveals. Anybody have any clue what the C4D equivalent would be if there is one?

Sure is a lot of boolean craziness goin' on in there.

The default boolean operation is wack in most of the major 3d software ('cept for Rhino, but there are some other issues there).

Instead, for Max there's Power Booleans by nPower (which work almost correctly for about 70% of the cases) and there's also the amazing Scalpel by Cebas.

..and i've recently discovered PolyBoost, a mind-blowing (really!) poly modeling plugin for Max.

Edited by T02

Actually to catch us up to speed here I just tried to scale to zero in C4D (v10) and it works just fine as long as your using the Animation Tool and not the Modeling Tool. Doing it in the modeling too will irretrievably scale your points to nothingness. I'm not sure how long it's been like that, perhaps the .001 thing is just a workflow habit I've picked up and been using for too long.

Regarding the C4D version of 3DSMax Slice Tool... maybe some Max dudes can describe it more. If I understand correctly the slice modifier for 3DSMax closes the intersected surface and renders the open region as if it were a closed polygon surface? Of the same material? Is the Slice tool actually changing the geometry of the object? Or is it just a render trick?

If you don't need to close the polygon surface I feel like you could do it pretty easily with proximal shaders. Everything I've seen in Renascent's typography uses pretty thin letters. That's an approach that is specifically good for type, but it wouldn't work so well for things like Architecture which are far more volumetric. I was playing recently with revealing objects by using lights with "Z Direction Only" (this creates a very sharp falloff at the XY plane) and then pulling the lights across the surfaces. You can get some very interesting results especially since you can include/exclude objects from any number of lights. More of an experimental thing than a real method. I haven't found the "sweet spot" yet.

-m

Straight out of Max's help guide:

The Slice modifier lets you create a cutting plane that slices through a mesh, creating new vertices, edges and faces based on the location of the slice plane gizmo. The vertices can either refine or split the mesh according to the selected options.

The Slice modifier slices through groups, selected objects or sub-object selections of faces.

monkey, the slice modifier is a plane wich is shows or hides parts of the geometry, above or below slice (you can rotate or scale this plane), it dont actually affect geometry unless you collapse the stack like any max modifier. i dont remember for example if you have a tube, what happens to the caps, i think it has an option for that

monkey, the slice modifier is a plane wich is shows or hides parts of the geometry, above or below slice (you can rotate or scale this plane), it dont actually affect geometry unless you collapse the stack like any max modifier. i dont remember for example if you have a tube, what happens to the caps, i think it has an option for that

Thx dudes. It sounds like C4D's knife tool except it seems you can run and modify it in realtime which makes all the difference.

Monkey that light idea is brilliant. You are a smart mofo. I'll have a go at that. How are you using proximal shaders? Are you using it in the alpha of a material so when another object is near it reveals an object?

another fun thing to play with if you just want to mask something in c4d:

apply a completely transparent material to the object you want to act as the masker.

now apply a compositing tag to the things you want the mask act on, and drag the masker into the exclusion field of the compositing tag and tick the first little arrow looking icon next to it.

now whenever you place the masker inbetween the camera and the objects with the compositing tags - the corresponding parts will be missing from the render.

kind of a fun trick, although it doesn't allow for same sort of things a proximal shader set up would.

Edited by walk don't run

there's a technique in Max I've used before, not sure how well it translates to C4D. But basically you break apart your object into seperate faces. Apply a Volume Select modifier, using an animated map. So the white parts of the map select faces over time. Then apply a Delete MEsh modifier on top.

As the faces become selected, they will dissapear, but you can switch the selection Method under your Vol Select parameters, to make the polys appear over time.

Its a much quicker way to get objects to grow on, poly by poly, instead of messing with opacities of individual polys. Only problem is, it kinda lacks the control you can get via other methods.

Hope that helps