Sign in to follow this  
ducroz

growing polygons

there's a technique in Max I've used before, not sure how well it translates to C4D. But basically you break apart your object into seperate faces. Apply a Volume Select modifier, using an animated map. So the white parts of the map select faces over time. Then apply a Delete MEsh modifier on top.

As the faces become selected, they will dissapear, but you can switch the selection Method under your Vol Select parameters, to make the polys appear over time.

Its a much quicker way to get objects to grow on, poly by poly, instead of messing with opacities of individual polys. Only problem is, it kinda lacks the control you can get via other methods.

Hope that helps

Wow, that sounds really nice. Maybe it's because I'm retared but I have been trying to do that with the C4D mograph module without much luck. The best i've done is keyframe an object's visibilty and time offset that per clone. Works OK. But it's made to work with clones.

Monkey can you think of an Xpresso solution (or other) that would allow a null to say drag by a bunch of objects and when it gets near it turns on that object's visibility?

I image you can have an "on" null and an "off" null. So when the "on" null flies past objects it toggles the visibility on. They stay like that until the off null comes by.

Monkey can you think of an Xpresso solution (or other) that would allow a null to say drag by a bunch of objects and when it gets near it turns on that object's visibility?

I image you can have an "on" null and an "off" null. So when the "on" null flies past objects it toggles the visibility on. They stay like that until the off null comes by.

Do you have a particular idea of what you'd like to do?

Maybe we should just start some files. I work much better with tangible examples. I got a whole lot more free time next week, but I can start digging things out of the closet now. As far as getting things to appear from cloners I think that's pretty easy with the tools provided. By that I mean... I'd take the approach of actually growing things into place as apposed to trying to "erase" them. Here's an example that would build volumetric pixel fonts (with a directional flow) at 90bpm. There are some slight imperfections (crossing polys) from trying to build outward->in instead of inward->out, but that could be easily fixed.

CubeOffset_05-90bpm.jpg

*(It was also when I thought I was powerful enough to single handedly bring back the *page curl*, alas I am but a single mortal...)

-m

Do you have a particular idea of what you'd like to do?

Maybe we should just start some files. I work much better with tangible examples. I got a whole lot more free time next week, but I can start digging things out of the closet now. As far as getting things to appear from cloners I think that's pretty easy with the tools provided. By that I mean... I'd take the approach of actually growing things into place as apposed to trying to "erase" them. Here's an example that would build volumetric pixel fonts (with a directional flow) at 90bpm. There are some slight imperfections (crossing polys) from trying to build outward->in instead of inward->out, but that could be easily fixed.

CubeOffset_05-90bpm.jpg

*(It was also when I thought I was powerful enough to single handedly bring back the *page curl*, alas I am but a single mortal...)

-m

Damn, dude. That looks really nice. Did you animate the deform of a plane then use cloning to assemble them into cubes, then clone those cubes onto letter objects?

To answer your question, 2 things really. One would be to be able to build anything in any way (like without cloning) then be able to reveal those parts over time without booleans. So piece by piece gets revealed. But in a simple way like I was posing like a null "drive by" that reveals objects by it's proximity. But "quantized" to the object. As opposed to just reshaping a reveal by using a proximal shader or a boolean.

Another would be to do the same but on a polygonal level. So that faces of something can be reveal over time (like what was originally asked about in this thread). A variation of that is doing the text reveals like Renascent does. Where it seems to be done in a similar fashion as 2D stuff is done in AE where a stroke path through the core of text is stroked over time in the alpha. But in this case, a stroke through the core of the text writes on the geometry (or at least appears to).

I've done something like this before w/ xpresso, using the collision object.

I've done something like this before w/ xpresso, using the collision object.

Did you have to loop through the objects in the OM and check for a collision or proximity to turn on their visibility?

Did you have to loop through the objects in the OM and check for a collision or proximity to turn on their visibility?

I'm looking at an older patch of mine and see that i was only manipulating the display tag with the collision object.

So I must of been confusing my c4d with a vvvv patch.

But now that I think of it this can be done with the "explosion fx" deformer of all things!

Set it's cluster type to polygons, take off gravity, and tick dissapear on and play with the settings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLz8wiV_R-g

For this example I put some variation into the blast range and dissapear is set to time (which makes the polygons shrink away, where as if it were set to distance they just blink off).

Edited by walk don't run

Hey Chris I just wrote a really long response that got canned due to the ever increasing Mograph Internal Server Error. :angry:

Here's a crappy sum up.

For method 1 (many objects via proximity) I would build something like the visibility by distance example that you've likely seen over at Base80. I would prefer that to using the on/off visibility because I hate the way it looks when objects "pop" into place. But that's a method that's only reasonable if you have many objects and there isn't much control over the blend (but would be fine for very fast fades).

For individual polys: If it's a single complicated object I would much rather stick to alphas or real geometry. The 2 most interesting ways to reveal polygons that I know of are 1) patterned index order or 2) secondary mesh (UV, etc). I'll get back to these a bit later.

What we really need is a proximal with something other than a spherical falloff projection. A cubical proximal would be pretty dope. You can sort of do this with the "edges" and "verticies" check boxes (but your essentially just making a matrix of tiny spherical falloffs at each vertice. The are some places where it could work, some not so well.

-m

Guest Sao_Bento
Hey Chris I just wrote a really long response that got canned due to the ever increasing Mograph Internal Server Error. :angry:

Once we release the UB version, everything will be fine.

Here's a crappy sum up.

For method 1 (many objects via proximity) I would build something like the visibility by distance example that you've likely seen over at Base80. I would prefer that to using the on/off visibility because I hate the way it looks when objects "pop" into place. But that's a method that's only reasonable if you have many objects and there isn't much control over the blend (but would be fine for very fast fades).

For individual polys: If it's a single complicated object I would much rather stick to alphas or real geometry. The 2 most interesting ways to reveal polygons that I know of are 1) patterned index order or 2) secondary mesh (UV, etc). I'll get back to these a bit later.

What we really need is a proximal with something other than a spherical falloff projection. A cubical proximal would be pretty dope. You can sort of do this with the "edges" and "verticies" check boxes (but your essentially just making a matrix of tiny spherical falloffs at each vertice. The are some places where it could work, some not so well.

-m

-That Base80 thing as about it. I personally like the turning on of the objects like aswitch. I'll modify his tutorial probably with some monoflops so that one the distance reaches a certain point the display tag pop to 100% and stays.

-Tell me more about "patterned index order" I take it you go through the index of polys in sequence to modify them, but I'm having a hard time finding where to shut off visibility of a single poly. Doesn't appear to be in the polygon node. I could be blind.

-Would you care to share roughly how you did your example movie? I can see it's a fresnel shader similar to the one you had on your SweepNurbs Graffiti, but the animation of the geometry.

:blink: What are those? I feel like I'm reading cyrillic--I've never heard of these things.

Ohhh... I forgot about this thread.

A scenefile for that page curl project can be found here.

Just to clarify... this is not a solution to the original question about qubekonstrukt... I think that's already been answered. It's essentially tight keyframing with the use of the slice tool, which could be emulated in C4D with booleans. What I'm jabbering about below is not that, but a parallel idea. I would have started a new thread, but everything is already here.

This setup is an example of what I was referring to when I mentioned patterned index order. The order of the reveal in this animation is determined by the index order of polygons in the Cloner Reference Object.

For any newbies who don't know, every polygon mesh has an index for its polygons (and points) which is located in the Structure Manager. If you open the scenefile and look in the Structure Manager you will see 10 polygons (you may need to switch the Structure Mode submenu from points to polys). These 10 polys make up the Cloner Reference Object... in this case the "6". If you are using the polygon tool and have the Cloner Reference Object selected you can select individual polys in the editor and see their corresponding index number (and vice vs). You can also REORDER your polygon index by selecting a poly and dragging it's ID up or down in the index. If you reversed the sequence of the polygons you would reverse the direction of the animation.

The BPM sync on this is the real gem though. I was mistaken before when I said this was synced to 90BPM... it was 105 (I pulled the loop from Gel Lab by Plaid). The way you get your BPM sync is with good old fashioned math and a Step Effector. The main thing you need to do is convert your BPM to Frames Per Beat. If you're animating at 30fps you're lucky... just divide 1800 by your BPM (1800 comes from 30fps x 60 seconds per minute). So 1800/105 BPM yields ~17.14 frames per beat, BUT since I want the animation to last 8 beats I multiply my FPB x 8 and get... ~137.14.

If you look in the Big Step Effector in the time offset parameter you will see this number... 137.14 and if you look in the Small Step Effector you will see 68.57 (exactly half). I did this because I wanted the tiny boxes to lead the eye in advance of the larger ones... sorta like pre-drilling into volumetric space with a smaller bit.

I liked where the flexibility of this rig was going...

1) If I had to change the BPMs it would be very simple.

2) If I wanted a new form I could just build a new Cloner Reference Object.

3) If I needed to control the flow and direction I could do it with the order of the polygon index.

4) And last but not least, there is additional sequencing power in the Step Gap of the Step Effector, not to mention the endless additional combos of Effectors.

...and all without touching a single keyframe.

Of course you can replace the cube build animation with a variety of more interesting things. It was kind of a solution in search of a project for me. It won't work for everything but I feel there will be a job that may really benefit from this method in the future.

-m

Hey there. . . Especially Max users

I was really interested in trying the boolean reveals is Max and with some help I have figured out a good process. This is probably old to some of you, but for others that are newish to 3D it might help. This process seems to work just about every time in MAX9 and works better than the slice modifier that I have mentioned before in this post.

1. create your objects

2. create a boolean relationship between the two (without having them overlap)

3. choose intersection mode and select the "operands" option in the display settings

4. set keys or turn auto-key on

5. in the modify stack expand the boolean modifier and select the operand level

6. select the object you would like to animate for the reveal and change position

7. select the "result" option in the display update and scrub through. Everything should work

You can also add the shell modifier to create geometry on the inside of the object, which avoids having the interior appear wacky during the reveal

Hope this helps some of you, as it definitely did me.

A scenefile for that page curl project can be found here.

You're just not going to give us your fresnel grad material are you :)

Great stuff monkey. very elegant. I noticed you made your squares from a sweepnurbs. Great idea. I wouldn't have thought about making a flat surface with a sweep. Thanks again for sharing.

You're just not going to give us your fresnel grad material are you :)

:)

I actually couldn't find the file with the texture, but I guarantee it was nothing special... my usual suspects: some layered Falloffs in the Illumination channel and a V Gradient with a hard knot in the Environment Channel--no Lights. I render quite a lot of things with illumination instead of color and environments instead of reflections... just for the speed (usually for tests, but even sometimes for production). Falloffs/Fresnels make it onto just about anything I make with a curved surface.

I have never been able to find much use from a texture library... the results vary so greatly depending on the lighting and geometry.

If you find a way to improve the file/method Chris let me know. One of the things I was trying to do was to replace the animations of the 6 cube faces with a single Cloner Object. When I tried it I couldn't get the cubes to offset in time properly. I also built this file with the first release of v10 which was really MoGraph buggy (still kinda is with deep clone hierarchies).

-m