Sign in to follow this  
redwards

Expression help. Z scale

I was wondering if there is an expression for this...

I have multiple layers and I want to move them in Z, but I want them to scale to compensate for the new distance.

So it looks like nothing has changed in a front view, but when you rotate the camera you notice that the layers are all spaced out.

I know this is possible to do by hand but I have a lot of layers and think something like this would cut down time.

Thanks in advance for reading/helping with this.

this is a script, which means you put it in your AE>scripts folder and run it by going to File>Run Scripts.

http://www.aenhancers.com/viewtopic.php?t=...1d1bcb93e69cb9e

I love the elegant simplicity of the approach - by moving the anchor point of a layer to the centre it is only necessary to adjust the scale of the layer to make it keep the same apparent size, not the x and y positions.

This will make 2.5D layouts a breeze! Sadly once you have moved all your layers in z space and removed the script, it seems you can't reapply it, which is fair enough. You just have to get it right in the first place!

I just removed and re-added no sweat.

If you don't want to mess with the script, here's the expression itself here (slightly modified). Of course you have to create the camera yourself, and you can't remove the expression to apply the numbers. Pretty simple, and like basilisk said 'elegent.'

camZoom = -thisComp.layer("Camera 1").transform.position[2]; //pickwhip to camera Z-Position

distance = position[2] + camZoom;

scale * (distance / camZoom);