Sign in to follow this  
jonkman

Any thoughts on SCAD?

I was just accepted into Savannah's MFA Motion Graphics/Broadcast Design program. I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything specific about

this schools curriculum? Good & bad.

Thanks.

Edited by jonkman

I was just accepted into Savannah's MFA Motion Graphics/Broadcast Design program. I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything specific about

Thanks.

... I've been wondering a lot about this too so I hope a lot of people chip in on this post. I've got a couple years to decide to go into a graduate degree but scad was one I was definitely checkin' out.

... I have heard from my boss though that there are some problems with the professors there. I don't think professors there are too happy... I could be completely wrong. I just know I haven't heard very terrific things about scad but for reasons that weren't very well explained to me. I heard also that they lost a lot of their cridentials when they were being rated nationally for design in 2004.

Edited by docphibs

Unless I'm wrong, mograph member los was thinking of heading to SCAD, hopefully he'll see this thread and comment away. :)

If I see him, I'll tell him to drop by.

i went to scad, graduated in '04. been freelancing in LA since than. feel free to ask any questions.

it really is about how much time and effort and research YOU put in. facilities wise they have everything you could need and than some.

i also know they lost about 3 of their best professors after 04 or 05.

Edited by laughingcolors

Okay, onto something more specific. I'm researching living options at SCAD, not discounting on-campus living. Campus housing appears on par with renting an apartment in Savannah (approx $500/month). So I don't object to the slightly smaller living conditions in a shared apt. that are really offset in my opinion by being near campus, meal plans, computer labs..etc. But i'm open to hearing other ex-graduate students experiences living in campus housing? Where did you live and where do you recommend living? And if you highly recommend avoiding campus dorms/apts. where do you recommend living off-campus?

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks.

"accepted" lol. they will take anyone who will pay them money. so dont feel too proud. I went there, i think its designed to suck the money out of you, if you or your parents are loaded then have at it. But if you actually want to work in the field while attending classes, stay away from savannah. living on campus will just mean that you will be pounded in the ass harder after you graduate and start paying off the loans. I lived off campus on wilmington and ended up with a fraction of the loan burden then some of the peeps i know.

Edited by stooch

Has anyone heard of MFA students switching to the shorter MA program during their first year? Is this something you can do in the midst of your studies or must you specify from the onset because of implications it may have with financial aid..etc. I'm just curious because it seems the two programs have very similar curriculum for the first few quarters, and I may have personal reasons to leave after a year and don't want to depart without a degree.

Thanks.

My first suggestion would be to not go there for your first year. Go to a community college and take all the math, english, and general courses you can. Do your research and make sure the courses will transfer in, I had no problem with mine. This will save you a TON of money. Be aware that most of the drawing classes won't transfer in without a hassle.

Second. Don't live downtown, its more dangerous than most people will tell you. One kid was shot while he was at a payphone talking to his mom. Break-ins, especially cars, were commonplace. When I think back I realize how surreal it was, for me at least, to live with constant gunshots and police sirens at night. If I had to do it all over again I would live on the island or southside.

Third. As mentioned before, you get out what you put in. They have lots of equipment but it does you no good if you don't use it. What you are paying for IMO is the artistic atmosphere and access to the equipment. Don't go knowing nothing and expect to graduate and be awesome without putting any effort in.

Yeah if you don't put the effort in then it's a waste of money. Nevertheless, even if you do put in the effort don't expect to be awesome just because your going to scad. I've seen better work come out community colleges here than I've seen at scad-atlanta.

this isn't really directed at jonkman, but i've seen people waste money with grad school so here are a few thingees...

i don't at all mean to sound like a jerkface, but an MFA for a designer has pretty much zero worth, unless you wanna teach. if you're gonna go to a grad program for design and you already have a good solid design education, then go somewhere with the two most important qualities: you will learn a lot (as opposed to schools that only teach software or that are too relaxed & lenient), and there are lots of opportunities via local shops or via faculty that are immersed in the industry (basically, nyc or LA). then drop out as soon as you have a good career opportunity and save some money (unless you wanna teach later).

if you can't go to a school with those two things, then maybe save a lot of money by spending a year or two pushing yourself to self-educate and build your reel.

if you don't have a very good design education, then go to a good art/design school and get a BFA even if it's your second bachelor's (there are a lot of people at top art schools that had already went to a four-year university). you'll usually be able to graduate in 3 years instead of 4. an MFA program is powerless if someone doesn't have the fundamentals of design already in place.

or just go to a portfolio bootcamp school (portfolio center, creative circus, etc.) where the overriding focus is building as strong a portfolio (or reel?) by the time you leave and brainwashing you to think like an agency art director.

or if you're more into learning animation and already know design, go to an MFA or BFA program that has a more academic/fine-arty/expressive animation program (calarts, various canadian/french/euro animation schools) and sculpt your curriculum to apply to what you ultimately wanna do (mograph). for what it's worth, the few people i've known who did this tend to steamroll past everyone else's work like bigfoot over a traffic jam. *cough* eho *cough*

but then again, i didn't go to grad school, so take it all with a grain of salt.

also, generally try to avoid schools with open admissions ("we take anyone! yay!"). they tend to have great facilities & equipment (really only advantageous for film or ID majors), but the bell curve is so low that your standards will be ungrow to be pretty low, and the real world may end up being a shock for you. and the two that i know of are thinly-veiled real estate scams. hope this helps someone somehow.

Edited by jaan

totally agree. I've never seen the point in having a masters in desgin. real world experience scores way more points in my book. unless you want to be an art teacher it's totally useless. you learn much more on the job than you could learn in any school. It's good to get the BFA get your fundementals down. then get out there and start kickin ass.

totally agree. I've never seen the point in having a masters in desgin. real world experience scores way more points in my book. unless you want to be an art teacher it's totally useless. you learn much more on the job than you could learn in any school. It's good to get the BFA get your fundementals down. then get out there and start kickin ass.

HURRAY!!! I can save money!!! I love the internship program here at DAAP.

i don't want to be a hater, but most of the people i see coming out of SCAD are software jockeys with no design sense at all. obviously there are exceptions, such as most of the SCAD people on here, but for the most part, i agree with jaan: the standards are so low you will end up having to push yourself to rise above the mediocrity.

Here's a resource that might be of interest to somebody heading to scad:

www.scadstory.com

A website for rating classes/professors.

My experience at the school was pretty much along the lines of what's been said here: low standards, great facilities. The motion graphics department at the time had a pretty good balance of professors interested in formal design vs. the guys who leaned more toward experimental video and theory. I think the whole department has been uprooted since then, though. And I found myself having to adapt the curriculum by substituting required classes with classes from the graphic design and film programs in order to get what I felt I needed out of the program. This took a lot of hounding of the department chairs (plural because those guys also seem to get replaced pretty quickly). I was careful to choose professors who weren't going to let me get by with mediocre work (scadstory came in handy there).

I do have to say that SCAD doesn't emphasize learning software over design. Obviously some people have the opposite impression because all sorts of people come out of the program, including a lot of people who really can't do anything other than operate a computer. However, if you have the motivation to learn, you're not going to be brought down by a lot of classes teaching you the basics of After Effects.

Another point is that I haven't heard of any astounding motion graphics programs anywhere. If and when I go back for my Master's, I feel like I'll get more out of a graphic design or illustration program. Something that's a little bit more solid. The new media realm is still evolving pretty quickly...

just for the record, i wasn't really talking specifically about scad in my post, though it looks like some thought i was. i neverz went nor visited. best of luck dude.