Sign in to follow this  
lemar

How To Make YouTube Videos Look Great

Guest Sao_Bento
While those techiniques may work for video footage, uploading motion graphics (especially with gradients and fast movement) still look pretty bad once uploaded to YouTube. Anyone got any tricks?

Don't use YouTube?

Guest Sao_Bento
instead of youtube what would you use? :)

If I cared about quality, I would use my own web site to host the video which would be compressed in a format that actually looked good. Web hosting isn't exactly expensive these days. Of course I'm talking about for professional applications , like a motion graphics reel that you hope will get you a job - not "Funniest Home Videos". If you're trying to get a job and posting your reel on YouTube, you're missing the whole point.

If I cared about quality, I would use my own web site to host the video which would be compressed in a format that actually looked good. Web hosting isn't exactly expensive these days. Of course I'm talking about for professional applications , like a motion graphics reel that you hope will get you a job - not "Funniest Home Videos". If you're trying to get a job and posting your reel on YouTube, you're missing the whole point.

Don't over look the fact that sometimes the client requests versions of the final piece also delivered in a Youtube friendly format, so it's better to know what you're doing and do it than to tell them that your work's too good for the video hell that is youtube.

Here's the dirty for when you find yourself in the uncomfortable situation of having to deal with the 'tube': http://www.lafcpug.org/Tutorials/basic_you_tube.html

The "HD" clips that I saw on youtube still look like ass.

Ive also had trouble rendering out good youtube video quality.

Are there any tutorials out there for rendering from after effects to youtube. OR quicktime to youtube?

While those techiniques may work for video footage, uploading motion graphics (especially with gradients and fast movement) still look pretty bad once uploaded to YouTube. Anyone got any tricks?

Yes ive had the same problem, anything with motion graphics, with gradients and fast movement looks horrible once i upload to youtube. :angry:

I don't understand why Youtube, a place that solely exists to show video, makes it so hard to upload a decent quality video. It would be like me insisting that all clients speak to me in Pig Latin.

If all you do is show video, then why make it a cumbersome process?

Guest Sao_Bento
I don't understand why Youtube, a place that solely exists to show video, makes it so hard to upload a decent quality video. It would be like me insisting that all clients speak to me in Pig Latin.

If all you do is show video, then why make it a cumbersome process?

Because all they do is video for the average tween/teen.

This isn't magic, but it's a start:

http://www.lafcpug.org/Tutorials/basic_you_tube.html

YouTube and Vimeo are great for some videos, but God forbid that's the only place you've got your demo reel online. Chances are slim, but what if they go down?

If it's your own server, you can call them up and get an explanation - maybe even a reboot or backup reloaded within minutes. If it's a corporation, all you can do is sit back and wonder how many potential views your reel isn't getting. Then again, if it's on YouTube that might be a good thing...

The amount of attention youtube brought to online video has done wonders for all of us.

As most people have said, i would never, ever, never, ever think about putting a showreel on anywhere but a personal website— the amount of crap that comes along with youtube and the likes (comments, ratings, links, advertising) would make it look rather unprofessional— it'd be like hosting your website on one of those "free 10mb space websites" with more pop-ups than china has gold medals..