Sign in to follow this  
flow

c4d question

hey guys!

i just got inspired watching the transformers trailer

watch the end of the trailer closley!

i want to create a transformer style animation ... but much simpler of course ... i want to start of with a small cube and this should "transform" into a bigger cube but with the same style ...

can anybody reccommend a technique how to create this sort of animation? i played a bit solving it with mograph but it wasnt happy with the result!

have a nice day!

best

flow

I'm gonna guess it's done by hand. You have to frame-by-frame it backwards to see where the important chunks come into play, and what's space junk. There's nothing literal about it, unlike most transformer things. There's usually some gratuitous junk flying around, but this one has mostly gratuitous junk, and it looks great. Backing out the design criteria, rather than literalness, it seems to be about rhythm, cohesion and cleanness. No geometry collisions near the camera or anyplace well-lit. It makes it a lot easier to avoid collisons if you can comp in pieces of geometry, and that's actually what I think I see with the way the piece that becomes the center vertical bar appears onto screen.

To me, the metal texture is the cool thing. Great lighting and shading is just as finicky as the animating.

I tend to think at least for this cube experiment it would be easier to work backwards. Start with your large cube. Create it using chunks of smaller cubes and Tetris like shapes. Then animate them with really fast flicks of rotation and scaling so that it is somewhat confusing. And eventually have them tuck inside a smaller cube buried whithin. Reverse keyframes. Turn on motion blur.

I think the transformer effect is a bit like the dudes in Manhattan that do that scam with the upside-down cups. Their hands fly all around confusing the onlooker. Do a digital version of that.

if you use morph targets with morph deformers you can pull of some pretty cosmic stuff.

dont get what you mean exaclty ... could you please describe that to me again? that would be very nice!

thanks a bunch!

flow

a guy at another forum came up with a nice idea ... just let a big cube eplode into a small one ...

any ideas how to do that?

You got a couple good answers already. What didn't you like about those?

And what does "just let a big cube explode into a small one" mean?

-m

Actually Flow asked this question on at least three separate forums that I've seen. Nothing wrong with that per se, but having gotten so many people's advice, at some point it's time to get your hands dirty throwing geometry around in space.

There aren't any rules for this kind of thing, and for me to say this borders on taking things way too seriously, but I incline towards thinking that the only reason for asking the same question on multiple forums simultaneously is that it's an emergency for a paying job deadline. To be fair I think I've done it once, in 2003, asking about something for my first job.

Actually Flow asked this question on at least three separate forums that I've seen. Nothing wrong with that per se, but having gotten so many people's advice, at some point it's time to get your hands dirty throwing geometry around in space.

There aren't any rules for this kind of thing, and for me to say this borders on taking things way too seriously, but I incline towards thinking that the only reason for asking the same question on multiple forums simultaneously is that it's an emergency for a paying job deadline. To be fair I think I've done it once, in 2003, asking about something for my first job.

come on guys ... the internet is a huge place and different people are participating different on different areas of the internet ... i just try to the get as many opinions as possible to that topic as possible ... and just to let you know ... its not for a paying job ... its for my personal reel ... so there's no real rush ... and i've made my hands dirty and tried many different techniques ... but i didnt found the a good solution so far ...

its not that i'm doing that all the time ... i just cant figure it out

kind of frustrating

:-(

No problem. If you do it every time, people who watch closely will quietly stop answering. Right or wrong, that's what will happen. The post above was me explaining what normally goes unspoken.

Well, if you're fine with a very non-transformer like effect of 'explosion' then I say just spin the shit out of the cube with motion blur on and while it's spinning temorarily stick object in and out.

Basically a digital version of the old cartoon cat fights where you see a ball of blur with paws sticking out here and there.

Well you didn't really answer my question.What have *tried* so far that isn't working? If you're getting stuck in a particular place people can help. If you just want an easier method... some sort of miracle plugin that requires *no* work then we can't help you at all. Have you tried starting with your final object and animating the PSR of individual sections in reverse, yet?

-m

I'm sure you've all seen this, but whatheheck. Best spec work ever, in this fool's mind.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWfBzuix_sY

CgSociety article, HQ video requiring free membership: http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3302

I also want to ask this board to remind me what is the name of the AE plug-in that does this.

- A. A.

Guest Sao_Bento

Take the time to learn your 3D application and the answer will reveal itself. Start down the path of asking people to solve your problems for you and you'll never get anywhere at all. What's the point of doing something without learning during the process?

On top of that, you pose the question like you're just playing around - the point of playing around is to discover and learn. Asking someone to explain to you what they have already taken the time to discover and learn is a waste of time, as no one gets anything out of it. There is no shortcut, you have to either be willing to learn how to learn or you should do something else with your life.

The people on Mograph are very nice about answering questions and sharing knowledge, but most of us don't respond well to someone wasting our time because they haven't done the work on their end.

I also want to ask this board to remind me what is the name of the AE plug-in that does this.

It's Trapcode's "Transformer" plug-in. It came out after Particular but before Echospace. The entire Michael Bay film uses it. The best part is it only has one button with no keyframing. Norby is genius.

I'm sure you've all seen this, but whatheheck. Best spec work ever, in this fool's mind.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWfBzuix_sY

CgSociety article, HQ video requiring free membership: http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3302

- A. A.

it says on youtube that the guy who did that animation get only $1000 from sony? holy shit, that can be real!

im not super seasoned on c4d yet,

but say i had a piece of connected polys or one poly, and i wanted to break it apart, after the final end state was figured out, organizationally and tool wise, would people use split, disconnect, or maybe selected poly's "current state to object"...

maybe using disconnect and morph targets would be a way to do a lot of the bulk work, and then do a handful of custom animations...

im still stoked on imageplane, thats better than the internet