Sign in to follow this  
redwards

Just Graduated/My First Reel

I just graduated from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh.

This is my first reel, I would like to add more to it before mailing it out.

But I would really appreciate any critiques you have to offer.

I have a long way to go and any critiques I can get will help me improve.

http://www.ryanedwards.tv/

Thanks in advance for taking the time to watch/critique my reel.

-Ryan

Guest PhoenixFX

Unfortunately I can't give much input on your reel. Had some problems with Quicktime but will try to view it again from a different computer. The typeface you selected on your website is a bit bulky and pixelated. I would choose a different typeface that is more streamline and will present itself best on most browsers.

Also on your resume, you might want to consider reordering it to say Education, Skills, Employment and Recognition. Need to elaborate a little more on your employment background. What did you do at these jobs? What type of animation did you create? What was the print campaign about? Also, having an objective isn't really all that necessary. You can cover the reasons you are submitting your resume and go further in detail about your skills and experience in your cover letter. You will also need references (at least 3) but I would set it up where the prospective employer would need to contact you for the references. Don't need to have your references' contact info posted on your site for all to see, keep it exclusive. Hope this helps.

i agree with phoenix your site itself is way to pixelated in the font and what not, your reels not to shabby i suggest you take away that internet page you have in it half way though. The salvation army little thing folding down does nothing for your reel I would suggest taking that out as well. Also you may want to think of having an intro. Hope that helps and good luck finding a job

Okay thanks for that input, the career services person at my school crossed off the references section. They seem to just make you put whatever they think is good and not give a reason (I didn't agree with them, but they more than I do)

The salvation army thing was one of the first projects I ever made so yes I can tell why it looks basic. I will take that out.

I will fix the type on my site as well, I saved it with a transparent background so that maybe why the edges are so jagged looking.

Thanks a lot, I will fix these things.

Anyone else want to critique? I have a lot to improve on, and people on here are good at noticing weak points.

AIP alumni here whats up

Yea first thing I noticed was your site too, I would pick another font all together and kern them out some there is no room to breathe in there. An intro would help set the mood for your reel also.

Good luck you plan on moving west or staying eastcoast?

Is Sean still teaching there?

I was planning to move west coast, but I am ready to relocate wherever an opportunity arises.

I will put an intro, but is just a title card fine or would that look to generic? I was just trying to make my reel take up as little time as possible, so an intro without some camera/text move would shorten that.

Sean is still teaching there, he was my favorite instructor there.

This is gonna be kind of rough, but my impression of your reel is that you don't really like doing this stuff very much. That's not to say that you do or don't, but your reel doesn't communicate the kind of interest/excitement/passion for the medium that employers will see as an asset. So that's not a comment about your actual commitment or interest, it's about what your reel is conveying. There isn't anything in that collection of work that feels fully realized. It looks like a collection of idea sketches, really, because there's not much going on in any of them, and they seem like quick first pass stabs at elements of larger pieces. So I tend to think that you need to revisit these projects and figure out what needs to be done to make them feel complete in and of themselves so that we don't get the idea that you're rushing to bang out a quick idea and then slagging off. This is your kick in the ass to go get it done!

Case in point: the fact that you'd even present your reel publicly in the context of that layout with the bad aliased type. I feel like you don't care. Like you're not even trying. This is your first impression. Don't convince me that you're incompetent before I even get to your work.

One specific thought I had was that maybe when you reapproach this whole reel thing, try looking for a different song. I say that for a few different reasons. Pretty much everyone in the industry has heard that song at this point, and we know an industry insider wrote/sang it, so when you gank it and put it over your reel, it just makes me extra conscious of the fact that you're gankin someone else's work for your benefit. We're all doing it when we use a song, but this is just an extra strong way of reminding the viewer that that's what you're doing. The other reason is that the song is cynical about the industry, which is totally fine, but your reel already conveys something negative about your attitude toward the work, so don't make it even harder on yourself the second time around by using a track that forces you to fight that perception even more.

Hopefully this isn't a slap in the face. Your post makes me feel like you're ready to learn. It's just what you're showing me that doesn't. So go kick some ass!