Sign in to follow this  
royal bisquit

A Script to Restart Renders After a Crash?

Does anyone know if there is a script to restart a render after it crashes? Is it even possible to write one? Working on the Intel mac in AE7 crashes are happening more often, unfortunately.

Not sure, but you could use Apple script I suppose. Some render manager tools seem to use it quite a bit which I found out while investigating some unrelated stuff. No idea how, though. My world is still largely free of Macs except once or twice a year...

Mylenium

have you tried rendering out of the command line render? that will more often than not render your scene if you are having problems rendering out of the gui. it is faster as well.

-M

have you tried rendering out of the command line render? that will more often than not render your scene if you are having problems rendering out of the gui. it is faster as well.

-M

Hi 26thfloor, could you explain more detail or have you got any information about rendering with command line ? I am sure interesting with it.

Command line - you mean by using the background render script, right? That's a good idea, I use it while I'm working but haven't thought of using it for main renders. I'll give it a try.

paranoidx - you can ind the background render script here:

http://www.creative-workflow-hacks.com/200...-lloyd-alvarez/

ah, noo. Since version 6.0 After Effects has included its own command line renderer from Adobe. I will warn you this is not for the faint of heart. It is essentially a method for rendering without opening the AE GUI. I have helped companies implement this tool into their render farms and AE tools.

I have found several beneficial reasons for using this rendering method:

1. It is faster than rendering straight out of the GUI

2. It gives infinite control over Render Settings & Output Module Settings

3. It is scriptable, so it can work with render managers, I have used it with Rush

4. Since it is scriptable, hello render farm without all that "Collect Files" nonsense

5. You can render while still working in the AE GUI

6. It allows you to truly use all your processors

these are just a few off the top of my head, trust me there are more.

as for using it:

if you navigate into your After Effects install directory, you will notice an "aerender" or "aerender.exe", this is command that you will invoke to use the command line renderer

go ahead and double click on it, don't worry it won't render, this will show all the commands and flags available. It will also give you examples at the bottom of the syntax.

in order to truly use it, you will need to open a terminal window or dos window and use those commands & flags to render what you need.

here is a very simple example (for a mac, since where I am currently working is mac based)

"/Applications/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ CS3/aerender -mp -sound ON -project /filepath/yourfile.aep"

this would render anything in the render que of the given AEP file with multiple processors then notify you via a sound when it is done. now this an extremely watered down render call. with this tool you can specify any option that is available in the render que without physically opening AE.

that is a start for you. enjoy.

-m

@royal bisquit : thank for your information, but I known that information few days ago while I searching to solve my problem. did you solve your problem ?

@26thfloor : surely helpful that's what Im talking about, thank for your share, I would love to try it now. Thanks again.

The render script is basically a wrapper for the CLI.

Don't forget you need to have permissions to run aerender.

The easiest way to run it is by adding aerender to your PATH.

That way you don't have to specify the absolute path to the executable.

It's not really that much faster than through the GUI.