Sign in to follow this  
sbecker

C4D Materials Tuts?

Can anyone point be in the right direction for a resource on creating materials in C4D? I own Arndt's Workshop book and Anne Powers Artist Sourcebook and although these have tuts on some great materials, (not to mention lots of downloaded tuts on specific materials) they are project specific, I am looking for a solid general overview on material creation. The integration of multiple layers with Fusion, etc.

I have a good understanding of creating basic materials, but then far more advanced materials available all over the web. The built in help with C4D explains things okay, but I would like to understand the process more efficiently. I always find my materials have a 'cheap' look to them, and I know this is due to under use of the power of the program.

Edited by sbecker

I know you probably want more in-depth info but I asked a similar question about a year ago and managed to squeeze these three links out of the mograph gurus:

'Texturing for Dummies' on this page, by Leigh Van der Byl: http://www.leighvanderbyl.com/pdf/texturing.pdf

The Monkey said '”JeremyW's personal site is still up from 2001 and remains the authority on SLA materials“ http://www.jeremyw.com/C4D_Stuff/C4D_Links.html

This site has a lot of the basic info that should apply to other apps: http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/cg_education.htm

Lets hope a new thread will manage to bring a couple more links to the surface.........................

M

This is pretty much what you've already done, but I found just going through some of the Body Shaders in the Content Browser was a huge help in understanding how in-depth materials are made. Specifically the "Guts" material is really impressive. After only a few hours of studying exactly what it was doing, my homemade materials improved tenfold.

This is all great help! Shinjin, I have been looking into VRAY and that definitely looks like something I'll have to shell out the cash for. Nextexit, the 'Texturing for Dummies' looks like an necessary doc for a beginner like myself. Great resources to begin with. Thanks everyone!

I got my pre-order email from them to buy Vray online (can't download till tomorrow).

Materials: I wouldn't bother looking for C4D specific tutorials. The art of texturing is a global one and adapting it to C4D should be fairly simple. You take an art class about art and not a class about the brand of paint brushes you have. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Chris. Agreed that it is about the big picture and believe it or not the 'Texturing For Dummies' article has really laid out the perspective and general understanding of creating textures that I was looking for. Looking forward to your evaluation of VRAY. Thanks for CSTools as well! They have helped me understand a lot about using C4D at a higher level.

Thanks Chris. Agreed that it is about the big picture and believe it or not the 'Texturing For Dummies' article has really laid out the perspective and general understanding of creating textures that I was looking for. Looking forward to your evaluation of VRAY. Thanks for CSTools as well! They have helped me understand a lot about using C4D at a higher level.

I'll have to read that article myself. Texturing is a weakpoint for me for sure.

Glad you like the tools. I wish I wasn't so freakin busy today. I want to get Vray and nerd on it for a while ;)

Reverse-engineering a nice scene that uses layered procedurals is a great way to learn. Anton Aurety has a ton of them, but his tutorial section is down. It's definitely different than anything Leigh does in her 'Texturing for Dummies,' which is on the opposite extreme--using photoshop images only, maybe mixed with gradients and fresnel and falloff that you can't get out of photoshop.

Have gone through the CMI VFX C4D Tutorials Volumes 1-3 and highly recommend them to anyone new to C4D or looking for a refresher. V.3 is incredible for breaking down the Materials Manager. Going to grab V.4 this weekend. To anyone interested in these tutorials, I would recommend purchasing the DVD's as opposed to the online videos as they are quite long to download (streaming only) and you can't save them. With the DVD's you could access the chapters anywhere and skip to information as you need it. V.3 is a 3 hour long tutorial so if you're referencing info at 2:45 you'll have to wait awhile for the servers at CMI to stream the video. Other than those technical issues though this is truly a great set of tuts.

Hope some other newbies find this helpful.

Hey,

Chris here from cmiVFX.. how are you guys?

Yes, thanks for the kind comments. We are actually in the middle of making our videos sooo much faster with new technology.

Should be available soon. (no upgrade fees for anyone of course. its all free upgrades for life)

Also we are adding chapter markers and user bookmarks in the next player release.

Point and click timeline jumping also.

(it wasnt easy being the first to create and HD Video On Demand system... thats for sure!

anyway.... wait till you see NEXT WEEKS video release... ;)

its super hot!

-c

I agree - the CMI tutorials are great - but a bit jerky when streaming.

I was disappointed with the CMI tutorial that I purchased. I think the instructor spent more time talking when he could have been showing. It also did not demonstrate what was shown on the page. Janine with 3D Fluff has been the best that I have seen. It kinda relates to the other post about what you want in a tutorial.

Edited by jazman