Sign in to follow this  
Stablished

fxphd.com

I've been stopping by this site here and there, intrigued by all the courses, almost wishing there was a physical school like this. I was curious if there were anyone in these forums that have registered at fxphd and share what their experience has been like.

I've gone through my share of video tutorials, and I'm curious how different this is? The pictures of on location green screen shoots on their site could be a little deceiving. I haven't encountered a video tutorial that does this. And i'm not saying that i'm specifically looking for green screen / keying tutorials, but a video tutorial that shows more than a video capture of the interface of an application.

Just curious...

I was a member of FXPHD last term (july) and should be starting in the next term (Oct). I have seen their Flame classes and some of the preview classes for FCP, Toxik, and some others. You also get as part of the classes the Background Fundamentals class. This can be a mixed bag of things from on set production shoots, VFX conference presentations with the VFX guys from Pirates of the Carribean, to which camera/compression is best for green screen.

True most of the application specific stuff is just recordings of the desktop screen, but that's specific to learning the app. The new production course stuff should be pretty cool and very on location. (RED camera workflow and DV Rebel courses)

The application tutorials I have seen are very good, they are done very causally... so they are pleasing to watch and listen too without it sounding like a monotone lecture. On the Flame courses I have seen, John Montgomey and Mike Seymore (the main guys) are some of the greatest teachers of not only what buttons to push but in how you approch a shot or an effect or whatever in every day work.

For the $300 you get 10 weeks of 3 classes and the bonus BKG course. Each video is approx 30min.. but they always go over. So that's 4 courses X 10 Weeks X 30 mins = 20 Hrs of lessons. What a deal.

Not to mention the fact that you get good quality footage to play with in each of the courses. Video downloads are around 100-300 megs per episode and are HQ Qts in h.264 Work clips are files sequences in .tiff(usually)

You also get access to their forums for the classes you take plus some general application specific forums... the forums seem a little weak in the community aspect, but Johna nd Mike are always trolling to answer questions.

BKM

Edited by BKM

I will tell you one thing, these guys have worked on serious projects, they are the best of the best. Not to detract from any other video tutorials, but these guys have been in the thick of it on huge budget jobs and come out the other end looking like a million bucks. If you are looking for tutorials, I would recommend this site based on the founders alone.

I used to work with one of the founders and know of another. They are ridiculously talented.

As for a physical school, I think they still do tours.

-M

Starting my third term now, and I too am very impressed.

Between the courses, the podcasts, and fxguideTV, I don't see how they do any other work.

Great source material, etc. I agree with everything that's been said above.

If you want to up your game across the board, in technique as well as theory, i highly recommend it.

and if you decide to do so, PM for my promo code, so I can get a free class!

Wow. Great feedback guys. Im' just a nudge closer to getting in on this next term. BKM, have you noticed a considerable quality increase in your work since the last session?

I think I'm interested in the AE course, Pftrack, DV Rebel & Color. Don't know too much about Toxik, Fusion, Flame & Nuke. Gotta get up on this. Thanks guys.

Wow. Great feedback guys. Im' just a nudge closer to getting in on this next term. BKM, have you noticed a considerable quality increase in your work since the last session?

I think I'm interested in the AE course, Pftrack, DV Rebel & Color. Don't know too much about Toxik, Fusion, Flame & Nuke. Gotta get up on this. Thanks guys.

Has my quality gone up? Well that is up for debate.. I understand more theory and practice now. I just need to put that into some good projects.. but those are few and far between.

I do have a deaper knowledge of Smoke, even off the Flame course, there is alot of untapped power I still need to tap.

Oh.. and since I answered first... I should get the referral and the free class :)

BKM

Edited by BKM

Mike Seymour is pure class. If you listen to the podcasts with him (all three) he's as economical, direct and level-headed as they get. He doesn't waste anyone's time.

The main obstacle for me joining it aside from everyday indolence would be the Background Fundamentals, which is a required course. Can anyone share an opinion whether someone who's been working in 3D and AE for five years and following VFX pretty closely for a couple of years would find that course to be redundant? At best my initial idea is that the Background course would fill in the necessary cracks and re-orient you towards higher-end uses of the same tools in VFX. But I could be very very wrong...

Here's the description of the Background Fundamentals class from this term. Sounds really odd, not so much a standard course as something that's re-configured each term.

This term we return to the more magazine style BKD that most people seem to love. We will be covering again a range of topics.

We will be covering a wide range of topics from professionals shooting as War Photo journalists, to remote location productions in the snow.

For examplne we speak to Sean Hobbs, who has travelled throughout the Persian Gulf, Iraq and Afghanistan. We discuss not only his remarkable images but also which camera and lens combination he uses, his 'battle kit' and the techniques he uses to capture the moment in some of the toughest assignments on earth.

We will continue our examination of new workflow techniques and new innovative approaches such as high-speed photography.

We explore 1000 fps to 4000 fps high speed digital photography, the issues and complexity of design and post-production. We hope to bring you a workshop on how to light an actor in front of greenscreen to match a background plate We will be touching on Audio this term and we hope to also compare the P2 workflow with the RED ONE.

In addition, we will have more production challenges allow postgrads to gain not only great material but video reviews and critiques.

The interesting thing is that it is fluid, and you get the sense that they're growing fast and dealing with it.

Their courses are pulled from colleagues all over the world, and sometimes they're late, etc.

This all gives it a grass roots feel, but with mega-professional guys that know their shit.

It has a good vibe about it, and it got me to start experimenting more.

The shake explosion project alone, by class two, i was piloting that shit.

def check it out.

I did thee July term.

I am doing Maya + AE and I think the course is good.

I am new to Maya, so I cant say to much, but I work with AE a long time and I think we can still learn some stuff from the course.

I am quiet happy at the moment and I will do the next term as well.

The BKG Fundamentals sample is a torrent, oddly/bravely enough, or at least the one I clicked on is. I'm up to like 5 on seeding it, so people are definitely curious. :D

I've done 3 of the 5 terms so far.

It's worth the pricetag for Background fundamentals alone.

Mike normally demos stuff in a Flame but that's not important.

Looking forward to the Imagineer stuff this term for which they've got VPNs.