Sign in to follow this  
martober

Fixed Gear Revolution

I always rode BMX while I was living in NY. Had a mongoose FS-1, and a california, a haro(stolen), & a red line(stolen)...I tried riding a mountain bike one time...I just felt out of my element.

Guest Sao_Bento
It took me 25 years to design this bike. It doesn't fit in a bike-rack, cause it doesn't belong in a bike-rack.

And it has no brakes because brake cables refuse to conform to my Bauhaus rule set.

Hello everybody !

I ride fixed in Madrid, Spain. Is nice and the bike is (I think .. hehe) very cool.

I have a road bike too..

I love riding to the studio through the "El retiro" park in Madrid..

alan_silver2.jpg

hasta luego !

Hello everybody !

I ride fixed in Madrid, Spain. Is nice and the bike is (I think .. hehe) very cool.

Looks great! Two years after starting this thread we have found our first fixed wheel bike rider. There must be more?

Guest Sao_Bento

As an outsider, I'm fascinated by the culture around road bikes - not the fixie hipster stuff, but the guys who suit up in full spandex and Oakley blades to do a couple of laps around the block. The dress code is so strict! Is it purely a cultural uniform or do these guys really think that the drag from a regular t-shirt is just going to totally ruin their lunchtime ride down Arastradero?

well I can't speak for the dudes that suit up in full spandex for a couple of laps around the block; that to me would be a little overkill. But if you are going to spend a few hours on the bike a hand full of times every week, you probably want to be in whatever garb provides the best fit/performance for the endeavor. Cycling attire is of course fundamentally ridiculous looking, but its been evolved over about a hundred years to what it is today, and it really is what works best. To get past the ridiculousness of wearing it, you just tell yourself that its fine enough times that you believe it, and you ride with other people who tell you the same thing.

Being what it is, its not very different from track and field, football, baseball, or wrestling attire, except perhaps the technicolor palettes that some don. You don't see the local dudes suiting up in pro football attire when they play the yearly turkey bowl, but then again they aren't spending 6-12 hours a week doing it like some cyclists do.

It is a subculture, and the deeper you get into any subculture, the weirder it gets.