Sign in to follow this  
schumway

Might have been ripped of...

Last year I did a spot for a large international fashion/design house, besides the usual animation stuff I also directed the whole campaign. Today as I was browsing the web I found a spot from a big and wellknown studio, and pretty much saw the spot that I did last year. They´ve used the same music, the same style of graphics and they even used the same look in the grading. (The grading is kinda extreme, so it´s not a magic bullet preset or anything like that)

I guess they could have come up with exactly the same ideas as mine, but what are the chances.

So at first I got pissed off, but I also took it as a kind of a compliment. I mean, my company is small fish compared to this studio.

So my question is, should I take any action? Contact the studio, or my client?

Btw

I don´t want to mention any names here, as it is kind of a delicate subject and I haven´t spoken to anyone yet.

Your input is much appreciated...

Certainly contact this so called big studio to tell them about the matter. You have your project and client to prove the date of creation.

Probably a agreement can be taken in consideration with this. The big studio might have been cough cheating! They need to admit if it was a ripoff. Yes they will probably say NO... we did not see your project... Then tell us the name :) But you are right a diplomatic approche to this is better, but if they don't ... have fun with it!

I would love to see the too project. maybe just two frames?

Clear it out, but show it out also! The ripoff is not a cool thing to do ... if they are responsible for this, they need to be told and some creative should be kicked.

keep us informed!

You could ask the big studio for some high paid contract since they love your work so much.

Its a tough one, unless you post a frame of your own, no one will really be able to say yay or nae. I guess contact the big studio if you feel really hard done by, chances are they will just deny it. I'd only get involved if I was sure that I was right and people would see this. At the end of the day its a big can of worms to open if you go all public with this- I'd just be thinking of the after math, cause if a big scandle insues, it could follow you around for a long time afterwards....

At the end of the day its a big can of worms to open if you go all public with this- I'd just be thinking of the after math, cause if a big scandle insues, it could follow you around for a long time afterwards....

Yeah, this is exactly what I´m worried about. I don´t want to ruin my own career because of this.

Besides I´m not after money, so I think I´ll just let this one go

Thanks for the input...

Yeah, this is exactly what I´m worried about. I don´t want to ruin my own career because of this.

Besides I´m not after money, so I think I´ll just let this one go

Thanks for the input...

It's so refreshing to see someone taking the high road in a situation like this. :-)

Still, it sucks to have Goliath bite David's style...

not being an apologist, but if said shop has demonstrated merit on previous projects, then it is very likely to be the fault of the client. something that happens often is that they plop down some preexisting stuff they have and ask the shop to "make it look like more of this", which is about 3% better than when they plop down something done for a completely diff company and ask for you to copy it. technically, as long as they didn't reuse any of your actual shots or gfx, then there's nothing "certifiably" wrong going on. i would guess the shop didn't really enjoy having to recreate someone else's work either. but i guess the ethics issue largely depends on how they talk it up or credit themselves in their selfpromo materials... and the client shoulda came back to you if they liked your work so much. but trevor from marketing is probably dating the julie, the pm from the shop.

oh wait, i was under the impression that it was for the same client. if it wasn't then it's all pitchforks and torches on they ass. post that shit anonymously at

http://youthoughtwewouldntnotice.com/

Edited by jaan

I know that YTWWN are sometimes going out to much ! but it's fun ! And Yaan is right ... it must come from somewhere, client, designer ?

For your problem schumway I would not be worried about your career! If the copying is so evident just tell them!

tell them that you noticed ... You'll get to clear it out and then you can go on with your work.

The best you'll get is the true story on this. Don't go silent on this. You don't have to tell the world but clear it out with them.

maybe just one person is responsible for the copying. he has to take the consequences of his act.

don't go into a fight, put clear it out, for your professional work sake. Would you like it if someone was telling you later that you copied the work of that company, on that project ? knowing that you did it first.

don't let it go that easy!