Sign in to follow this  
iline

Blender 3D

Hi all,

While I'm not up to speed on Maya or Cinema 4D (can't decide what side of the industry I want to turn to), I do know some nifty motion graphics stuff in Blender 3D. If I was to do tutorials, would anyone read them?

Let me know - I also have tutorials in mind for Illustrator vector paths to Maya, AE and Blender, and also using Maya Ascii project files to camera tracking in AE, and SynthEyes>3D>AE...and using EXR data in Ae CS3... I don't know whether tracking and roto tutorials would even belong on such an advanced forum but in any case - anyone interested?

I don't know whether tracking and roto tutorials would even belong on such an advanced forum but in any case - anyone interested?

Are you kidding? Have you looked at some of the requests that come from this forum. Believe me, if you make them, they will be read...

Hi all,

While I'm not up to speed on Maya or Cinema 4D (can't decide what side of the industry I want to turn to), I do know some nifty motion graphics stuff in Blender 3D. If I was to do tutorials, would anyone read them?

Let me know - I also have tutorials in mind for Illustrator vector paths to Maya, AE and Blender, and also using Maya Ascii project files to camera tracking in AE, and SynthEyes>3D>AE...and using EXR data in Ae CS3... I don't know whether tracking and roto tutorials would even belong on such an advanced forum but in any case - anyone interested?

Blender tutorials would be great!

OK OK OK....

I'll get that video screengrab software installed - be warned, I have a really nasal English accent which could piss some people off horrendously.

I reckon I'll start little, with using Illustrator files in 3D - only because there's tricks that need sharing and I really don't want to do dedicated Illustrator tutes, that's Lynda's turf...

I'll check back in a bit...I really wasn't expecting such a positive response!

Ed

How about how to make this:

eb_shh.jpgThis is an animated array of the MTV logo done in Blender, with several recombined render passes in OpenEXR format.

Tutorial:

From Illustrator > Blender > After Effects (I'm actually using Nuke, but the 30-day trial would probably expire by the time I finish this project and do the tute)...

Will report back after WIP and stuff on the forum, then a tutorial is sure to follow.

Ed

Guest Sao_Bento
How about how to make this:

eb_shh.jpgThis is an animated array of the MTV logo done in Blender, with several recombined render passes in OpenEXR format.

Tutorial:

From Illustrator > Blender > After Effects (I'm actually using Nuke, but the 30-day trial would probably expire by the time I finish this project and do the tute)...

Will report back after WIP and stuff on the forum, then a tutorial is sure to follow.

Ed

Looks like a good place to start.

hmm.

i opened blender the other day and it was the absolute worst interface i have ever used.

i could barely open a file it's that bad.

what's the draw with this program? other than price tag of course.

hmm.

i opened blender the other day and it was the absolute worst interface i have ever used.

i could barely open a file it's that bad.

what's the draw with this program? other than price tag of course.

It's a terribly hard interface to learn but once you learn it you'll appreciate it. I don't use it too much these days but as you learn it you'll like it better. It's very much a shortcut key based interface but it's very very flexible. Plus, it's free.

Edited by Jeff McBride

@Sketchbook:

I know - I thought exactly the same when I first learnt Blender. It's a progressive tool however - I use it for many sympathetic reasons as well as professional. People writing code for blender number in the hundreds - which is why the more interesting developments/white papers in CG technique are written into working builds of Blender before ANY other 3D app. It is updated approx. every 2 months (not to mention the SVN release candidate builds, forks and test builds), free of charge of course. It is mostly keyboard-based, which is no hindrance compared to the deep-menu exploration required of Maya, for example.

While it lacks the modular interface of other apps, any technique that you are used to can be converted into Blender working practice - which involves a lot of learning about the inner workings of CG. This means it's a great first 3D app to learn, although, I would say that as there's no Digital Tutors series teaching it, the learning curve is quite steep. I had the advantage of a more experienced user beside me at the studio where I used to work - so I could annoy him all day with questions. Usually I don't allow myself to get caught up in software comparison slanging matches, but Blender is rapidly climbing the ranks thanks to thousands of users, hundreds of volunteer coders, a healthy user community providing many tutorials. Myself, now, becoming one of those providers!

Hang on folks - I just took on another project today so it may take a little while to poop out this tute. Thanks for your warm and positive replies!

Here's how the Nuke comp is looking ATM:

endframe300.jpg

I'm using techniques similar to those employed on the Nike Air Force One spot shown on Motionographer today, so I'm sure many of you would find it helpful.

Edited by iline

i downloaded blender, launched it, made a sphere and then closed the program because i couldn't figure out what to do next. yes, please make some tutorials. make one that goes over the basics too. like what crabster says, if you make them they will get read.

Cinema 4d is ridiculously powerful, and I got used to the ease of doing a lot of motion graphic work in it quick (the Mograph module, extruded text, shapes extruded along a path, etc). I'm now the lone animator at a straight-up edit house, so justifying a $4000 package (with all the modules) when we barely ever do 3d was out of the question. So i jumped on Blender a few months ago.

I totally hated the interface at first, then it started to become logical, now i cant understand how people could ever hunt through menus. The learning curve is kinda steep, but based on the growth of the program in the past year thanks to the huge community, its got a really bright future.

It probably wont become the industry standard, but it's doing some really innovative things. Re-lighting with the normal data passed into the built-in node compositor without having to rerender, awesome. And the rigging system is legit.

http://peach.blender.org/index.php/nathans...t-rigging-demo/

http://www.blender3d.org/e-shop/product_in...?products_id=99

http://mke3.net/ -Matt Ebb is doing some serious stuff with coding and commercial work. That was the site that won me over.

Oh, but back to the topic of tutorials. Yeah, that would be great. Thats what the community needs. I haven't really seen any mograph tutorials. So i know everyone on Blendernation.com would eat it up.

Hi all,

yes please. :)

Hang on folks - I just took on another project today so it may take a little while to poop out this tute. Thanks for your warm and positive replies!

Here's how the Nuke comp is looking ATM:

endframe300.jpg

I'm using techniques similar to those employed on the Nike Air Force One spot shown on Motionographer today, so I'm sure many of you would find it helpful.

Hey iline - know you're busy, but if you have time to post this tutorial it would be most appreciated.

Hi all,

Blender and SynthEyes tutorials would be most appreciated!

:::11 AUGUST 2008:::

Sorry folks. I have to apologise - I offered this tute waay too early, in that when I offered to do it I was out of work, and then, well, I've been playing the pro's game for ages and I've not have much time or inclination to do this tute because I've been staring at cinema displays for over 8 hours a day for the past year...soooo.....

I have gone back into the Blender 3D file, put each stage of the modelling process into a separate scene "here's one I made earlier" - and in the tute will explain my materials, node setup and render settings.

I have since comped this file in After Effects CS3 (just to test Blender's speed vector output vs. Reelsmart Motion Blur for AE), although my intention is to actually post the project in Nuke. A few reasons for this:

a ) After Effects HATES EXR format image seqs - Nuke loves it and uses all embedded information layers (though not Blender's Multilayer EXRs :( )

b ) Nuke works natively in 32-bit so colour looks gorgeous - AE, at 8 bpc setting, has 'greyed up' my lovely colour passes!

I could do two tutes - one Nuke and one AE, but I haven't got around to doing even one yet! Besides, despite its simplicity, Nuke is a beast and I'm just a noob with it, I'm sure there are better people to demonstrate why it's the #1 comping app for 3D compositors

So....first things first - the Blender tute. It won't look like the lovely image above because that was a lucky root of my rendering brainstorm last year - if I could do it again, I would, but I've lost that hard drive. (It's like losing an arm.)

It's coming in the next 2 weeks, promise!

Ed