Sign in to follow this  
silatix

new neu nieuw nouveau

Its that time of year again.. New reel and a site redesign. Hope you guys dig it. I'm holding off on the reel intro/outro till I nail the edit/ settle with the song choice.

Check it out:

adamsaul.com

Constructive thoughts for the reel/site?

Thanks!

Looks good to me bro I've always been a fan of the simple site design and really just showcasing your work. Solid reel also

Edited by TrenZ

In terms of the shot list... I'd ask yourself whether the first impression you want to make is The Simpsons. Bouncing frosted cartoon doughnuts. You know, maybe it is, but then those better be the most hilarious/delicious/energetic/interesting/whatever doughnuts I've seen this year or I'm immediately gonna peg you for run-of-the-mill. And you're aiming higher than mediocrity, so really take some time to figure out what you can do with that very important slot in your edit. When I go for that first taste of mystery dessert that is your reel, wow me so that I'm already convinced that the rest of it tastes good too. And even if the middle of this reel pie or montage chiffon isn't anything special, if the last bite is particularly good, well that's the flavor that's gonna hang in my mouth for the next few minutes, so that's really important too. First taste colors my perception of what's to come, last taste lingers afterward. Your intro and outro will definitely be a part of this, but don't think that absolves you of the need to consider your front and back edit choices.

That being said... if you can make the whole watching experience good, too, I'll remember that as well. Hide some gummi bears in that pudding. Or layer the cake to take me through a series of unexpected experiences (yes, I AM going to kill this analogy). Now we're talking about pacing, and making creative and engaging choices with your editing. Is it really dense and intense for five seconds before hitting a calm quiet section? Like jumping off a high cliff and plunging into water weightlessly. Remember "300"? Guy sprints into oncoming army -> world slows down as he gets into the zone -> back up to speed, chaos, clanging, screaming -> slow down to arc of blade through leg while blood splatters intricately across the screen -> intensity -> focus -> intensity -> focus. That's an oft-used method of pacing to convey an idea, not to mention that in conveying an idea you're now generating interest and excitement. And then somehow I'll relate that to chocolate pie.

Editing is as much a design process as typography or animating an endtag. You're leading the eye around, identifying important areas, creating patterns and rhythms, manipulating mood, conveying ideas about given elements through your treatment of them... it's the same! And it's the same because you're always more likely to make an impact when you've done something with intent, and you've done it intelligently and creatively.

Did i win the "Longest and Most Overblown Post of the Day Award"? I can has cake now?

Good ideas.. Editing always throws me off since I never do it but I hear ya. Thanks as always!

Now put on some pants ;)

In terms of the shot list... I'd ask yourself whether the first impression you want to make is The Simpsons. Bouncing frosted cartoon doughnuts. You know, maybe it is, but then those better be the most hilarious/delicious/energetic/interesting/whatever doughnuts I've seen this year or I'm immediately gonna peg you for run-of-the-mill. And you're aiming higher than mediocrity, so really take some time to figure out what you can do with that very important slot in your edit. When I go for that first taste of mystery dessert that is your reel, wow me so that I'm already convinced that the rest of it tastes good too. And even if the middle of this reel pie or montage chiffon isn't anything special, if the last bite is particularly good, well that's the flavor that's gonna hang in my mouth for the next few minutes, so that's really important too. First taste colors my perception of what's to come, last taste lingers afterward. Your intro and outro will definitely be a part of this, but don't think that absolves you of the need to consider your front and back edit choices.

That being said... if you can make the whole watching experience good, too, I'll remember that as well. Hide some gummi bears in that pudding. Or layer the cake to take me through a series of unexpected experiences (yes, I AM going to kill this analogy). Now we're talking about pacing, and making creative and engaging choices with your editing. Is it really dense and intense for five seconds before hitting a calm quiet section? Like jumping off a high cliff and plunging into water weightlessly. Remember "300"? Guy sprints into oncoming army -> world slows down as he gets into the zone -> back up to speed, chaos, clanging, screaming -> slow down to arc of blade through leg while blood splatters intricately across the screen -> intensity -> focus -> intensity -> focus. That's an oft-used method of pacing to convey an idea, not to mention that in conveying an idea you're now generating interest and excitement. And then somehow I'll relate that to chocolate pie.

Editing is as much a design process as typography or animating an endtag. You're leading the eye around, identifying important areas, creating patterns and rhythms, manipulating mood, conveying ideas about given elements through your treatment of them... it's the same! And it's the same because you're always more likely to make an impact when you've done something with intent, and you've done it intelligently and creatively.

Did i win the "Longest and Most Overblown Post of the Day Award"? I can has cake now?

Dont get me started.. You know how long it took me to stop using aol email? :blink: I have email with my website provider.. Just need to commit to using that account.

change your email addy!!!!

hotmail is so 1993 ;)