Sign in to follow this  
SaintEfan

some Processing experiments

I think it represents a good introduction to graphics programming. It helps to know the basics of programming in general and to get more deeply into its applications it helps to know some Java too.

There's a lot of great resources on the Processing website and each of the standard functions is well explained and the main libraries are also well documented.

Probably a bit more advanced than basic AE expressions, but also more flexible in many ways, or at least different.

Out of curiosity,....how much of a 'programmer' do you need to be to use it? I have enver really checked it out, but am curious as to the difficulty involved........?

You have to be better than I am. I know some PHP and Shell Script... (and took C+, Pascal, Fortran in school over 10 years ago) I got as far as seeing a few pages of processing before I decided I would never have what it takes to process. Good luck to the rest of you pioneers. I'll wait for the node based version. ;)

-m

You have to be better than I am. I know some PHP and Shell Script... (and took C+, Pascal, Fortran in school over 10 years ago) I got as far as seeing a few pages of processing before I decided I would never have what it takes to process. Good luck to the rest of you pioneers. I'll wait for the node based version. ;)

-m

There actually is a node based version, sort of. I think it may even have been mentioned around here once. I'll try to remember what it's called and find a link for ya.

There actually is a node based version, sort of. I think it may even have been mentioned around here once. I'll try to remember what it's called and find a link for ya.

A node-based Processing??? I've searched for this. Can't find it.

Edited by spirozero

A node-based Processing??? I've searched for this. Can't find it.

Max/msp

From what I can tell it's not pretty, but can be used to great effect.

It has some fairly sophisticated audio manipulation tools.

I've never used it myself, but may investigate it in the near future.

I've worked on a few projects with a guy who does max/msp and jitter. We did video/visual effects for a stage act. Those programs are really cool. The things you can do with audio input is amazing. Like using audio to control 3d objects in real time and such.

I think it represents a good introduction to graphics programming. It helps to know the basics of programming in general and to get more deeply into its applications it helps to know some Java too.

There's a lot of great resources on the Processing website and each of the standard functions is well explained and the main libraries are also well documented.

Probably a bit more advanced than basic AE expressions, but also more flexible in many ways, or at least different.

some classes in nyc.

http://createdigitalmotion.com/2008/02/27/...for-non-coders/

costs a few bucks tho

went to school at ucla where one of the inventors of processing, casey reas, taught. he's genius. those clips look rad btw. i'm guessing you incorporated some ae in it?

The forms were all made in processing. They were made in different passes and comped in AE.

the complicated part about the second one was matching the camera move from the processing camera to match other elements.

I'd like to eventually develop a camera class for processing that outputs data for AE.

Edited by SaintEfan

Mmm, very nice Stefan.

Javascript + Graphics? I think graymachine has a new toy to play with in between changing diapers.

I was thinking the same thing... Harry certainly knows how to write expressions - his training series is pretty useful - maybe do one on Processing in the future?

I'd like to learn Processing - will check out the resources on the site - great experiments SaintEfan!