Sign in to follow this  
nextexit

Horses are going to be pissed

I don't know why I'm posting this I just think you should all see it before horses and horse lobbyists world wide get wind of it and kill the idea before it sees the light of day:

It's cool how the thing doesn't fall over even when break dancing on ice

After seeing this I'm sure it's only a matter of time before we see a few Imperial Walker type things stumbling around battle fields.

Yeah anyway.....whatevers

Edited by nextexit

Darpa. I think we all see where this is going.

(Edit--but it IS amazing. The kick in the side and all the ice recovery stumbles blew my mind.)

Guest Sao_Bento
Episode2-huntercloseup.jpg

how long before it comes to 'collect' you and your family?

Can you imagine what the the buzzing sound would be like if you got 3-4 of these things together? I guess it would work like the sound of tanks - you get to hear them and get scared for a long time before they get there.

Can you imagine what the the buzzing sound would be like if you got 3-4 of these things together? I guess it would work like the sound of tanks - you get to hear them and get scared for a long time before they get there.

That would def be terrifying, and on the one hand, although it's a good psychological tactic for the field hunters to use in battle, the stealth models will all have their firmware upgraded to lithely 'tiptoe' through and around brush, creating zero noise.

So the rebel campfires won't know what hit them until it's too late.

"WOLVERINES!"

Episode2-huntercloseup.jpg

how long before it comes to 'collect' you and your family?

Those things were tough to kill man...

But yea, this Dog thing is amazing, and pretty compact, even with that gas generator(that I assume is the buzzing noise) they got going.

That would def be terrifying, and on the one hand, although it's a good psychological tactic for the field hunters to use in battle,

They should just cover up the motor noise with Flight of the Valkyries.

I watched this thing this morning, and I can't stop thinking about it

Yeah, and all kidding aside, when it elicits such a deep response from most people, I feel like it's the collective unconscious 'gut'

telling us somethings not quite right. A sense of foreboding, like you might be seeing a sliver of a dark future.

Mankind has always had a fascination with automatons and robotics, but the results have always been cold and 'toylike'.

Even the latest Honda breakdancing, flute-playing bots suffer from this. But once you start seeing these types of things roaming the countryside,

then it's hard not to feel like Pandora's box just flew open. Obviously the best use of these are for rescues, and bomb squads, etc., but no one is kidding themselves that the Pentagon isn't already running sims somewhere. Besides, where are they gonna get the rest of the money for a fresh coat of paint, and a muffler?

Granted, I have a vivid imagination and a dose of paranoia and cynicism. But simply put, 'shit aint right.'

Yes, it really is disturbing in a way few things are. I guess people will say "They said that about trains" etc ('the iron horse') and all that, we'll get used to it once we understand it, etc etc. and planes must have seemed dangerous and weird buzzing around in the sky like birds, but the freaky thing about this is the AI aspect - when the guy kicks it over you really expect it to turn round and kick the shit out of him. There's actually something MORE freaky about the fact that it doesn't - I think subconsciously you imagine that it is building up 'resentment' like HAL in 2001. And whilst I know damn well it is not capable of that and 'never will be' the point is that if several million people all project their feelings onto machines, then in a different sense they might start to 'control' us, like cars do now, perhaps.

The thing that freaks me out about this thing is that it looks too much like us. The bottom part looks very much like human hips and legs. When it is kicked, it even moves like a human. There is an emotion reaction to something that is just a machine. I makes me think that we are really just complex organic machines and that's just not a comforable thought.

I makes me think that we are really just complex organic machines and that's just not a comforable thought.

The fact that people find that an uncomfortable thought is probably why so many deny that it's true. When we are damaged, we malfunction. When we are drunk or on a drug we are no longer our normal personalities. Just machines. When there is brain damage we are certainly not ourselves anymore. We also very simply react to animal like things and project emotions onto them. Like this horsebot, or animated characters we cry over in "The Fox and the Hound" or "Bambi". I would say we are incredibly predictable and easily manipulated machines.

IMO.

Guest Sao_Bento
The fact that people find that an uncomfortable thought is probably why so many deny that it's true. When we are damaged, we malfunction. When we are drunk or on a drug we are no longer our normal personalities. Just machines. When there is brain damage we are certainly not ourselves anymore. We also very simply react to animal like things and project emotions onto them. Like this horsebot, or animated characters we cry over in "The Fox and the Hound" or "Bambi". I would say we are incredibly predictable and easily manipulated machines.

IMO.

And some of us have a machine-like work ethic that keeps us updating our freely distributed custom toolsets 24/7 :)

IMO.

What makes us not machines is that we are aware that we are machines....argggggh.....back to making pretty pixels.

What makes us not machines is that we are aware that we are machines....argggggh.....back to making pretty pixels.

Yeah, that's the one hang up for me. But I tend to think there's no hocus pocus involved. Just something we can't understand yet. Because if there weren't oxygen molecules going to the right part of our grey matter for us to have those thoughts, we wouldn't be having them. But then again, I don't know that anyone's found what part of the grey matter that is yet. One day. :unsure: