Sign in to follow this  
kitkats

Lightwave object into Cinema 4D

Anybody have any advice for me on the best way to do this? Its a fairly simple model of a shoe. I'm not very experienced with texturing or any 3D applications other than C4D... I don't have the model yet, need to give specifications to the other guy, so I could ask for LWOB and try to convert it myself or get him to export as OBJ or something..?

Edited by Steven Kirby

i just opened an .lwo file in c4d with no trouble, it kept all the textures and everthing, i would make sure that has all the textures in the same folder as the file, and has the location set properly of any textures to that specific problem to avoid loss of texture information. I'm still kind of new myself so maybe someone else can chime in, but i tested a lwo and it does work

LWO and LWS files are basically no problem in C4D. Just keep a C4D structure for the object and images

Exceptions are layered LW objects (different layers within 1 objectfile) which can act weird in C4D. C4D tends to use the whole object on every layer instead of the seperate layer info.

But that's my experience using LW9.0 and C4D 10.1... Maybe newer versions solved this.

Thanks guys. I won't get the files for a few days but it sounds like matters could be a lot worse.

I have always had great luck with Lightwave files in C4D. No mesh surprises (like from 3DS) and the textures are usually right on. If I could request any non-native filetype the first would be FBX and the second would be Lightwave.

-m

So for some reason I was given a .obj instead of a .lwo

It doesn't seem to have any textures, but I know nothing about .obj file format. I'm trying to get hold of the .lwo again but just wondering if there's something in the obj file that I'm missing. I had to use something called Riptide to get the object to show up at all.

Here's the .obj should any of you generous people feel like taking a peek and reassurring me that it has no textures. It should look like this - I'm only interested in the 'finished' shoe.

Edited by Steven Kirby

weird you shouldn't need anything to get c4d to open an object...you should just be able to drop on its dock icon and it should open. The textures showed up like a typical obj file texture does in c4d...all gray so your not imagining things

weird you shouldn't need anything to get c4d to open an object...you should just be able to drop on its dock icon and it should open. The textures showed up like a typical obj file texture does in c4d...all gray so your not imagining things

Can an .OBJ carry texture/mapping information? I was hoping to get this model more-or-less ready to animate, and my texturing skills are fairly poor. I'm not sure whether I should try to insist that they send me an .LWO with textures... If they send through the texture files there's no way of 're-linking' them to this model right? Without manually applying them that is...

I'd try to get a LWO from them, or even an FBX, which Lightwave can export also. Lightwave doesn't import OBJ very spectacularly, so its no surprise that Cinema might not like an OBJ.

The one thing I'd ask them is how the file is textured, if its textured with classic Lightwave layers then Cinema should see the textures and open them pretty well. If it is textured in Nodes then Cinema won't be able to parse that information (that I know of).

If you are totally coming up short hit me up and I'll see if I can help you convert it since I run Lightwave full time here.

Edited by monovich

Okay, so I find out today it was actually made in XSI (sigh) which, I've been told, uses .OBJ as its native format (..?) Anyone know the best workflow for XSI > C4D objects? I'm just trying to save myself from re-texturing everything.

I use Xsi and had already moved objects to C4D. Usually on simple objects you can get back your UV sets in C4D. Make sure it's selected when you export from Xsi to .obj file

You use fbx files at least your supposed to be able to, the xsi guy may have to download a free plug-in in order to export the fbx, but i'm pretty sure that keeps texturing and movement.