Sign in to follow this  
graymachine

Retro Graphics in AE

Retro_Final.jpg

Like it or hate it... it's trendy to look 30 years old... or older. Which makes me pretty hip, I guess.

Anyway, I worked up a tutorial on pulling off some retrotrendiness in AE without the use of 3rd party plug-ins. The 38 minute tutorial is free, but there is a link to purchase the project files and larger version of the tutorial for a few bucks.

Page link

Direct link

very cool!

:D

I think im going to start making some tutorials on "getting that 90's" look....for when it comes into fashion!

They might include such hits as:

"How to get that flying toaster look"

"Making your own saved by the bell intro flashing seizure graphics"

"Is that a dancing baby .gif in the background? Why yes it is, and I'll tell you how to make it in 3D"

Hmmm... this tutorial makes me want to play some Vice City and escape back to the 80's. Thanks Gray! This retro tutorial is black gold man... black gold to the max!

Thanks guys!!! I'm going to try to get some more tutorials up. I think the goal with graymachine.com is to turn it more into a learning resource, and move my personal freelance reel to another site.

Hopefully Gary Numan doesn't watch AE tutorials. As far as I know, I've used a short enough clip to be inside "fair usage" guidelines. Same goes for Flock of Seagulls "Space Age Love Song" at the end.

Like...totally,

IE on Vista 32 and 64 bit versions: Quicktime logo with a question mark over it.

Firefox on Vista: awesome tutorial

Thanks and I am looking forward to more.

Hmmm... any idea what the problem is in IE?

Actually, I think I had the ActiveX classid set incorrectly, which IE needs, and it's like a 30 digit number. I believe I've got it correctly set now. If anyone else has the IE and still uses it, I'd appreciate a gander at the link to see if it is working. I have absolutely no way of testing IE myself.

Actually, I think I had the ActiveX classid set incorrectly, which IE needs, and it's like a 30 digit number. I believe I've got it correctly set now. If anyone else has the IE and still uses it, I'd appreciate a gander at the link to see if it is working. I have absolutely no way of testing IE myself.

It still doesnt work for me (vista)

Welcome to Harry J. Frank's world where "starry backgrounds" are "mandatory". ;)

And... "anemic"!? Whoa, whoa, whoa... Professor MoGraph... you use those words with the Ad Agencies?

All my clients use words like Sizzle, and Shizzle, and Zazzier®.

You are officially my favorite tutorial guy, ever. You got a great sense of humor and your instruction is crystal clear (and I don't even really like working in AE and you made it look kinda fun). It also takes a real genius to find a "second level" to a cliche'.

BTW, when you mention being inspired by old techniques using diffraction patterns, were you referring to the HBO behind the scenes? Because that starburst method flipped my f'ing lid when I first saw it.

As always... big thanks for sharing.

-m