Sign in to follow this  
jake_mathew

my 2008 reel

All some really nice work, congrats. If I had to pick on one (or two) things:

- I'm just not sold on the reel music. I like Modest Mouse as much as the next guy, but using singles from something like 4 years ago is something that's always irked me in reels. I'm probably just being a music snob here and looking too much into something minor (as I tend to do), but part of being a rockstar mographer (which I'm assuming is your end goal ultimately) is to be up on current trends. Using old singles in a non-ironic way makes a mographer seem out of the trend-loop to me. BUT like I said, I'm reading way too much into a very minor issue.

- the Totally Rad Show build shot just doesn't do it for me. Don't get me wrong, the end result is super nice, I just think maybe repurposing that scene with a killer cam move and a full final render would add lots (and probably wouldn't take THAT long to do). Build shots like that work well in VFX reels, not in mograph reels IMO.

Nice work indeed, you just lit a fire under my ass to finally update my stuff.

my 2c.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the music, that Modest Mouse album "Good News For People Who Love Bad News" came out when I was in school and I had it playing on loop when I'd work on my animation projects. So I think subconsciously, I always think of motion graphics when I hear that album. That being said, I have terrible taste in music and will never be up to the current trends. The only thing I look for in a "reel-worthy" song is something that has a nice drum beat since I like to time my cuts to it. And that modest mouse track has a nice strong (borderline tedious) drumbeat.

You're right about the Totally Rad Show build shot. The animation was for a backplate for a show so there was very little camera movement so I added the different passes to liven up the shot and to show the levels of "polish" I gave to the scene. But, I guess that is more for a VFX reel.

After watching it a few times, its probably 30 seconds too long. But too late. You'll have to wait a year. The 2009 reel is going to blow your mind...

your server seems a bit slow, but from what has managed to load its looking sweet.

Hmmm.....I just checked the site and the quicktimes are loading pretty fast for me. (I'm on a DSL connection) Hope everything is loading fine for you guys.

I think the last time I posted my work was two years ago when I was finishing up school. Since then, I've been working in San Francisco with the talented GFX team at Current TV and have definitely learned a lot from them. In a couple weeks, I'm off to Chicago to pursue new job opportunities. Wish me luck!

That's fine art you showed up there.

I am really into mograph, i would like to know which carrer did you studied to learn this? And where did you studied? San Francisco?

I went to the R.I.T. (Rochester Institute of Technology) and studied New Media. Originally wanted to do interactive design/web design. Then I went back to RIT for a Masters in Computer Graphic Design where I midway switched into motion graphics. (when I realized the only part of interactive design that I enjoyed was the animation/design part and not the coding part - which took up the majority of the time)

Honestly, I don't think RIT is the right place for someone interested in Motion Graphics. The curriculum may be a lot different now, but when I went their, they didnt have many motion graphics classes. They had a few decent core graphic design courses. (which are just as important, if not more)

There was a big boost in my design skills only after I started working full-time. (again, thanks to the talented graphics department at Current TV)

I've been working in San Francisco with the talented GFX team at Current TV and have definitely learned a lot from them

A lot of sweet work there! Awesome design! Were these projects collaborated works? What were your tasks? Animation. design, 3d, etc? Just curious.

Lots of good stuff, but there are a few glaring things that i think need focus:

1. Most any of your "symmetrical-popout" pieces looks sparse and empty. There's a lot to be said for minimalism, but the designs simply look unfinished and under-detailed.

Most notably:

1. :16 - I appreciate the 3d with the real reflection, but spend a few hours filling in the shot.
  2. :48 - Maybe its just the black BG that's not working
  3. 1:41 - This actually looks like a student reel fill piece. Lose it.
  4. 1:44 - Add shadows, variety in the flags, and some fill. McCains head chop is distracting too.

2. Guys in a boat: remarkably calm for sinking in the arctic. no flailing?

3. Totally Rad Show isn't very rad.

1. The noise texture ads too much detail and distracts the viewer
  2. Flooring looks way early 90's bryce.
  3. ...

I'm not going to go on. 3d logos are a tough sell. It's gotta be mega to be just ok. Take it out until it's really something special --it will only drag you down until then.

4. Black is an aesthetic to be sure... but dear lord: Not every background needs to be black.

See the current_@ 1:26 - that's good.

See the current_@ 1:48 - that's boring.

5. Music: As stated by another, older tracks can be good, but modest mouse isn't old enough yet. Pick something significantly newer or older, but avoid the douchebaggery of "omglol!!1 it's a Journey track!!1" . Ironic 80's tracks are already over --don't be a douchebag.

Realistically, I would just find something obscure that is still exemplementry of the genre (whatever that genre may be).

Ok, that's my 2 cents. Good reel overall.

A lot of sweet work there! Awesome design! Were these projects collaborated works? What were your tasks? Animation. design, 3d, etc? Just curious.

One interesting thing about Current was there was almost no collaboration on projects. While it could have been cool to have several people working to create a piece, there is something definitely satisfying about doing the entire thing from start to finish by yourself. And when I post all this work on my site and reel, I don't have to worry about making sure anyone was not credited or that I'm misleading my role on the project. Everything on my reel was animated/designed solely by me.

Misantnthrope, thank you for the very detailed and constructive feedback. I'm impressed that you even used timecodes!

In regards to all of those "symmetrical-popout" pieces, I worked on a daily entertainment show where each morning around 10 or 11, the producer would give me the "word of the day" - and I would have to model, animate, and deliver the 4 second animation back to them by 2 pm. (and then it would air nationally on their show at 4PM pacific time) So, I only had about 3 hours to create these animations. If I had a day or a week to create the same animation, obviously it would be more polished and detailed, but I'm actually pretty happy with how it turned out given the extremely short deadline. I did create myself a C4D template where I could re-type the extruded word and replace stock models out with ones more relevant to the 'word of the day'. So they look "unfinished" because they were, but in the world of broadcast television, things never get truly finished, and are usually good enough. (and I would keep working on these animations until 1:59pm when they were due at 2pm - sometimes skipping lunch or eating at my desk) Obviously, this process wasn't very good for creating well-thought detailed designs, and I have probably created 200 animations for this show over the course of the past two years. And I felt that 196 of them weren't suitable for my reel, so the 4 or 5 of these that showed up, are the creme of the crop. (and the crop was never very good to start with)

In regards to the fact that many of my pieces have black backgrounds. I don't want to get into too much detail, but it seems at Current that "when in doubt, put it over black". Black is used a lot for our TV network. Half of the shots in my reel that are on black, originally had a background and was later instructed to change the background color to black. The current_ shot that you liked that WASN'T on black was a modified version of what I had delivered. (the delivered one was on black) I'm not pointing the blame on someone else, because I think the black background actually worked in many of these shots. (particularly Current Click where the clean vectors really popped)

Thanks again for the feedback.

jake your career is about to go major boo-yuhhhhhh.

the fact that he is able to pump out work of this caliber under the insano broadcast schedules that he has, means that once he gets to a client-driven shop (where your schedule is measured in weeks rather than hours) it's gonna be like going to another planet where the gravity is like 1/5th of earth's... jumping 30 feet in the air and punching through brick walls will feel almost effortless. ps. boo-ya again.

after reading misanthrope's critique, I was really looking foward to a bad-ass reel of his own, went to his profile, and only found this:

http://www.ultradeluxxe.com/

they look "unfinished" because they were, but in the world of broadcast television, things never get truly finished, and are usually good enough.

Quote of the week.

Excellent work!

Edited by AromaKat

In regards to the fact that many of my pieces have black backgrounds.

There is a British phrase that says ------> `Once you go Black, you never go back.`

ahahaha Have you ever heard it before? ? :)

Misantnthrope, thank you for the very detailed and constructive feedback. I'm impressed that you even used timecodes!

In regards to all of those "symmetrical-popout" pieces, I worked on a daily entertainment show where each morning around 10 or 11, the producer would give me the "word of the day" - and I would have to model, animate, and deliver the 4 second animation back to them by 2 pm. (and then it would air nationally on their show at 4PM pacific time) So, I only had about 3 hours to create these animations. If I had a day or a week to create the same animation, obviously it would be more polished and detailed, but I'm actually pretty happy with how it turned out given the extremely short deadline. I did create myself a C4D template where I could re-type the extruded word and replace stock models out with ones more relevant to the 'word of the day'. So they look "unfinished" because they were, but in the world of broadcast television, things never get truly finished, and are usually good enough. (and I would keep working on these animations until 1:59pm when they were due at 2pm - sometimes skipping lunch or eating at my desk) Obviously, this process wasn't very good for creating well-thought detailed designs, and I have probably created 200 animations for this show over the course of the past two years. And I felt that 196 of them weren't suitable for my reel, so the 4 or 5 of these that showed up, are the creme of the crop. (and the crop was never very good to start with)

In regards to the fact that many of my pieces have black backgrounds. I don't want to get into too much detail, but it seems at Current that "when in doubt, put it over black". Black is used a lot for our TV network. Half of the shots in my reel that are on black, originally had a background and was later instructed to change the background color to black. The current_ shot that you liked that WASN'T on black was a modified version of what I had delivered. (the delivered one was on black) I'm not pointing the blame on someone else, because I think the black background actually worked in many of these shots. (particularly Current Click where the clean vectors really popped)

Thanks again for the feedback.

Nice rebuttal- I do a fair bit of broad cast myself, if you can turn around a nice job like that in a morning, you are GOLD! Excellent work mate, I'm well impressed!