Sign in to follow this  
RustyAce

Is this Legal

So after much deliberation i decided to post this. i work for a, for profit company that is owned by a nonprofit company but my paycheck has the non profits name on it. This non profit status allows them to ask your beliefs before you are hired, and not face discrimination claims. But i want to know is how far does that ability extend, this email was sent as a mass email to all company employees.

"HR would like to remind the staff that e-mails of a personal nature should not be forwarded within the (XXXX nonprofits name) e-mail system.

As is the case with internet browsing, e-mailing opinions or subjects not related to the work environment are prohibited.

This violation includes e-mails that express political viewpoints that are not biblically based.

Have a wonderful day,"

Is this legal? the only rational response is WTF!!! We have a little more freedome given we are not at the main building and are a sub company but this seems so ridiculous. Unfortunately I am stuck here for just a little bit longer.

LoL, i did come up with a response regarding marriage and divorce but only sent it to select people. I have to hold out for a little longer or else i would have chose reply all. I don't believe i handle authority well, maybe i am just more annoyed about the growing restrictions and increasing corporate environment, i don't know how the guys at the city stand it.

Whenever HR "reminds the staff," it's usually directed at someone in particular...like the guy that sends all those emails that end with "I THOUGHT THIS WAS FAKE, THEN I TRIED IT AND IT WORKED!"

This non profit status allows them to ask your beliefs before you are hired, and not face discrimination claims.

Sadly it appears that it is legal for them to discriminate.

"Churches and religious non-profits are something of a special case, because the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution forbids the government making a law "respecting an establishment of religion" and also forbids "prohibiting the free exercise thereof [that is, of religion]." The First Amendment by its terms binds only the U.S. Federal Government, but its effect was extended to state and local governments in the U.S. by passage of the 14th Amendment at the close of the Civil War. Under the Religious Freedom Restoration Act many generally applicable state laws regarding employment, zoning and the like are relaxed for churches."

Source: U.S. non-profit laws

How can they call it the Religious Freedom Restoration Act when the law allows for the restriction of freedom of choice? I can't decide if it's ironic, idiotic or both.

I used to be in a similar situation, 'for profit company' owned by a non profit. People under the profit side were pretty much exempt from the rules. But the people under the actual non-profit, boy were they screwed. First they had a big fat clause that not only you had to be of their religion (somewhat understandable), but you had to be a member of their particular church. Part of being a member entailed "strictly following all the rules" in particular the one about thything (however it's spelled). Sad thing is, apparently it was perfectly legal.........

Dude, what can I say?

"Biblical" covers so much ground that you can talk about anything, including sex, money, and wearing a wool-blend garment.

The downside is, you happen to work in a state that an employer can fire you without giving a reason.

The upside is, no matter what "Non-Compete" document you may have signed, it means absolutely nothing in a "right to work" state.

If they want to fire you for blogging "Two Girls One Cup", let them. You will be part of an army of people that have been fired from that toilet of a company that only cares about making money from people's fears of the unknown.

I'd say it's high time you left.

Dude, what can I say?

"Biblical" covers so much ground that you can talk about anything, including sex, money, and wearing a wool-blend garment.

The downside is, you happen to work in a state that an employer can fire you without giving a reason.

The upside is, no matter what "Non-Compete" document you may have signed, it means absolutely nothing in a "right to work" state.

If they want to fire you for blogging "Two Girls One Cup", let them. You will be part of an army of people that have been fired from that toilet of a company that only cares about making money from people's fears of the unknown.

I'd say it's high time you left.

they never made me sign a non-compete because they hired me as a PA, but they are not holding those who signed one to it.