Sign in to follow this  
alex

tv falling effect

hi everyone

im trying to create a tv falling to the ground in after effects and not to

sure how to get the effect i want.

having trouble getting the feeling of the tv falling - any tips on getting this sensation

of falling??

also i would like the tv to be disintergarting as it falls, so pieces flying off it and stuff

any tutorials or tips would be great

cheers

alex

The most efficient way, get(find) an old tv, camera, find the desired setup ... And drop that thing on the floor, don't forget to record it.

Import the footage in AE, composit some particles, debris and you'll have a cool looking effect ; )

Depend how realistic you want it to be. You could do the same thing I did for an intro I just completed. Take a photo of a tv, animate it falling to the ground, then use the shatter effect for the breakage. I composited some explosion/sparks footage, (artbeats) over the top, and it actually looks pretty good. Not OVERLY realistic, but cool nonetheless. :)

its more about getting the feeling of the tv falling in mid air.

basically the tv will hold the footage in the centre of the screen

so i need to make the background and foreground give the sensation

of the tv falling as the footage plays on the tv.

its more about getting the feeling of the tv falling in mid air.

basically the tv will hold the footage in the centre of the screen

so i need to make the background and foreground give the sensation

of the tv falling as the footage plays on the tv.

-A bit of motion blur on the TV.

-Have your camera not synched up perfectly with the TV. Let the cam fall a bit faster than the TV then let the TV fall past the cam a bit.

-A very small bit of camera shake all the way thru. If the TV is going to hit the ground do a big camera shake on impact.

-Sound effects will do wonders to sell the effect.

hi everyone

im trying to create a tv falling to the ground in after effects and not to

sure how to get the effect i want.

having trouble getting the feeling of the tv falling - any tips on getting this sensation

of falling??

also i would like the tv to be disintergarting as it falls, so pieces flying off it and stuff

any tutorials or tips would be great

cheers

alex

I think I achieved a similar effect about 39 seconds into this animated spec piece I did: http://vimeo.com/2262440

For me, I feel like the shaking of the camera, as if it was falling with it, and the clouds animating upward sold it. I also had some snow, in my scene that I made "fall" up at a really fast speed. Any little detail you can add to parallax your TV will sell the effect better.

Best of luck.

Dan

A good tip, in general, is that objects accelerate as they fall. So if the tv is going to be falling relative to a still camera your keys should have an ease-out on the first key and no ease on on the second key. This will help give any falling object a sense of weight. Then it's a matter of adjusting the timing and adding little details (like stretch, motion blur, etc.)

I think I achieved a similar effect about 39 seconds into this animated spec piece I did: http://vimeo.com/2262440

For me, I feel like the shaking of the camera, as if it was falling with it, and the clouds animating upward sold it. I also had some snow, in my scene that I made "fall" up at a really fast speed. Any little detail you can add to parallax your TV will sell the effect better.

Best of luck.

Dan

That's really nice, dead simple but spot on. I agree the falling bit works really well, the camera shake adds a lot

A good tip, in general, is that objects accelerate as they fall. So if the tv is going to be falling relative to a still camera your keys should have an ease-out on the first key and no ease on on the second key. This will help give any falling object a sense of weight. Then it's a matter of adjusting the timing and adding little details (like stretch, motion blur, etc.)

Objects accelerate as they fall only to the speed where the drag forces of the air pushing upwards balance with gravitational force pulling towards the ground. It's called the terminal velocity. It's one of the few things I remember from my school days.