Sign in to follow this  
boyd

Typography Animation Critique

A band (www.reviveband.com) hired me to create a typography animation for their song. Here is the first one that I have finished. Although I will only be making minor changes, I would love to hear your input so I can incorporate the ideas into my next project for them.

Currently I am in my 2nd quarter at SCAD (Savannah College of Art & Design), and I am very eager to get into my major classes (I want to study Broadcast Design & Motion Graphics). Anyway, that's it.

Portfolio Site:

nathanKboyd

Edited by boyd

Hey there. Just a couple quick notes...

I know you said that you'd only do minor changes, but the first thing I think after the first 15 seconds, is, "is this the whole concept?" every word being put into video...Ok, but where is the rest of the imagery? I don't mean to sound harsh, and I hope I'm coming off as constructive, but it needs more visually - otherwise, it gets boring really quick. The heart/tree/stock silhouette things aren't really enough. Also at times it feels like you're hitting me over the head with the literal. And other times it feels like someone said..."put some color in here."

The heart thing is a bit repetitive, especially since that's one of your only non-type animations...my reaction was.."oh that heart thing and that house/love thing again."

Also, the first rule in typography...and I mean the CARDINAL rule...is that you NEVER NEVER NEVER (did I mention NEVER?) stretch or jerry-rig a typeface. NEVER. You can mix the fonts so that they are the same family, and different sizes etc. but I noticed in a few places, like the landing frame above, that you have squeezed some of the type...that's just a no no.

I know you're only in your second semester, and I give you props for trying a project this complicated. I just thought I'd give you my 2 cents. Good Luck!!! :)

Edited by Firebetty

thanks, those are some good points that I hadn't really thought of before. They seem obvious now, so thanks guys.

And you didn't come off harsh, I am eager to get any and all input available!

As inspiration for imagery that dominates in a music video...here's one. Obviously, your concept is totally different, and I am in no way suggesting that you should try to be as fantastically awesome as Psyop...you don't have the budget first of all...but it's a good great example of how they took nothing but Sheryl Crow walking around with a guitar over green screen and made something pretty spectacular.

http://www.psyop.tv/

Look under their platinum selects > Sheryl Crow

ok so just to start off i agree with everything that has been said in previous comments :)

im not sure if im talking crap here lol cause im soo new to this it isnt funny, but i saw an ad on TV here that was about 30secs and they had the same idea as you for putting the words on screen, but what they did to make it more visually intersting was played around with monochromatic colour schemes, diferent type faces ( obviously they chose ones that work together) and also mixed in some really stylised live action footage,

Umm yeah thats just my thoughts :) hope maybe it helps a bit sorry if its vague haha

oh the add was "smoking not our future" if you youtube that hopefully it will come up with the right adds

Edited by sjlloyd

hey, thanks for all the responses, all these suggestions make sense, and it is crazy that these ideas didn't occur to me before!

My next video will be much better with these comments, thanks guys.