Sign in to follow this  
Beaver

Have you upgraded to CS4?

Just being pedantic:

There was no After Effects CS2. After Effects 7.0 came out within a few months of Creative Suite 2, but it was not part of any suite with the name 'Creative Suite 2' or the version number 'CS2'.

Anyone know when CS5 is coming out?

No one who has any information about future versions of After Effects is at all likely to answer that question. I'd mistrust anyone who pretended to know right now when any future version of After Effects will be released.

The most obvious feature of CS4 is the inclusion of a very fine tracker. However, it appears as though there are many "fixes" in UI as well as some project management enhancements. I have not upgrade yet myself although Mocha is the real pull for me.

-gl

All of the new and changed features are described in this post on my blog.

Todd,

Can you explain this one a bit?

"You can now separate the x, y, and z components of position and animate them independently."

Can you help me understand why this is different than CS3?

-gl

Can you explain this one a bit?

"You can now separate the x, y, and z components of position and animate them independently."

Can you help me understand why this is different than CS3?

If you follow the link in my blog post to the Help page on this ("Separate dimensions of Position to animate components individually"), you can read what I wrote to explain the feature. You might find that the video linked to from that section (by Mark Christiansen) does a better job of getting the idea across.

Basically, it's a lot easier to do certain animations if you can keyframe movement along one axis separately than movement along another axis. The canonical example is throwing a ball horizontally that then bounces up and down (vertically). The horizontal motion is very easy to specify with two keyframes: one at the beginning and one at the end, with linear interpolation between them. The vertical motion is much trickier, and is probably best done with an expression that takes acceleration of gravity into account. It's best when you can fiddle with the y values without messing up your x velocity values.

No one who has any information about future versions of After Effects is at all likely to answer that question. I'd mistrust anyone who pretended to know right now when any future version of After Effects will be released.

Bet it costs three times as much in Europe though.