Sign in to follow this  
nikefab

My Reel

Hi Im new to the industry and a year out of school with some experience at a post production house in Milwaukee WI.

I threw together this reel to send out to different production houses in the fortune of getting a job

I appreciate your criticism and looking to improve my work in some sort of capacity. Thank you all!

Demo Reel Link: Demo Reel 08

Beyond the redundant music choice (which isn't a huge deal, but is going to take points off if the producer has indeed heard the track on another reel already) you need to shorten your reel. A good montage is short and sweet. You've got some decent stuff in there, it's just far outweighed by a lot of amateur looking work. The dancing girl silhouette comes to mind. Ouch, that hurt. And then you brought her back a few seconds later in technicolor! Please no. Cut out the deadweight. This includes the video footage: 1. it detracts from your focus unless you're trying to be present yourself as some kind of all in one studio, in which case present separate reels for film production and graphics. 2. it's just not good enough, it looks like untreated digicam footage. that's not going to turn any heads. maybe if they saw the whole piece and could appreciate it for its artistic merit, and even then... probably not.

so to sum up: cut cut cut. from the look of your work and the cut of your soundtrack i'd shoot for a minute tops.

I'd cut out anything that's directly from a tutorial...anyone with motion graphics experience is going to be able to spot most of those right away (*cough*videocopilot*cough*). It would be better to use a derivation of the technique in another project rather than to use the straight up result of the tutorial.

Waaayyyy too long.

I would take out all the basic video stuff. (The guitar and truck guys) You have some good work in there but it's really being crowded out by the more amateurish stuff.

You could really cut it down by more than half.